Diesel F150 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was very active on the forum when I bought my 2018, I learn a lot here. Life got in the way and I backed off the forum, but recently got back on. THANK GOD I DID! I stumbled across the EGR recall 2.0, and wondered if mine had it. I had to open rarely used Ford Pass app and there it was! No letter in the mail, no pop up notifications, nothing whatsoever. Anyone else out there clueless there was a recall? Well, the forum has been a blessing to me. While I sometimes vent my frustrations here, I also want to give credit where it's due and please keep up the good work folks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome back. And same. Found my message on the app and am taking it in soon. Runs strong as of now. In SC here. What kind of mileage are you getting? Favorite drive mode?

·
Administrator
782 Posts
@mascrappo - you'll get the recall letter at the end of January 2021 (when all of the parts supply chain will be dried up) and welcome back to the forums. I was wondering why you have been so quiet lately, so glad to hear all-is-well.

Based on your 18E02 experience, are you are ready for EGR recall 2.0...? Can you get someone to record the interaction with your Service Advisor when you drop off your truck for 20E04? Please? I've got the over on how many expletives dropped... :p

Reactions: mascrappo

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome back. And same. Found my message on the app and am taking it in soon. Runs strong as of now. In SC here. What kind of mileage are you getting? Favorite drive mode?
It has been a great truck, fun to drive. Overall mpg hanging in at 25, does go to 30 on highway...sometimes I reset while on road trip just to see 30! My baby stays in normal mode 99% of the time, sport if I go to the big city as it helps jumping out in traffic.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@mascrappo - you'll get the recall letter at the end of January 2021 (when all of the parts supply chain will be dried up) and welcome back to the forums. I was wondering why you have been so quiet lately, so glad to hear all-is-well.

Based on your 18E02 experience, are you are ready for EGR recall 2.0...? Can you get someone to record the interaction with your Service Advisor when you drop off your truck for 20E04? Please? I've got the over on how many expletives dropped... :p
When I found out I seriously considered trading it in! I even walked through the dealer's lot looking for anything that caught my eye. But after talking to the local dealer (owner, service manager, diesel mechanic) and explained how poorly the original dealer did, they assure me their guy is competent....we will see.

·
Administrator
782 Posts
When I found out I seriously considered trading it in! I even walked through the dealer's lot looking for anything that caught my eye. But after talking to the local dealer (owner, service manager, diesel mechanic) and explained how poorly the original dealer did, they assure me their guy is competent....we will see.
Find much on the lot? I spoke with the Sales Manager at my dealership during my 20E04: He relayed they are just about out-of-stock in trucks and awaiting a bunch to be delivered. COVID shutdown over the summer ground the famous Ford Just-In-Time parts supply chain to a halt, which isn't that easy to fire back up and get running on all cylinders again. I think he said they are out of F150s and only have a single Ranger available on the lot = never seen anything like this before. Also joked with my Service Manager about all of the national advertising Ford is running for holiday sales for vehicles they don't have to sell!

I definitely thought of you when this new 20E04 EGR By-Pass Valve 2.0 recall came up, as your 18E04 recall was one of the more painful ones and should be used as an example of what can go wrong when your dealer has an unqualified tech performing the recall. OK to come here to gripe and let off some steam = it could be anyone one of us this go-around.

Hope your new dealer has a good diesel tech and takes care of you this time around.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Find much on the lot? I spoke with the Sales Manager at my dealership during my 20E04: He relayed they are just about out-of-stock in trucks and awaiting a bunch to be delivered. COVID shutdown over the summer ground the famous Ford Just-In-Time parts supply chain to a halt, which isn't that easy to fire back up and get running on all cylinders again. I think he said they are out of F150s and only have a single Ranger available on the lot = never seen anything like this before. Also joked with my Service Manager about all of the national advertising Ford is running for holiday sales for vehicles they don't have to sell!

I definitely thought of you when this new 20E04 EGR By-Pass Valve 2.0 recall came up, as your 18E04 recall was one of the more painful ones and should be used as an example of what can go wrong when your dealer has an unqualified tech performing the recall. OK to come here to gripe and let off some steam = it could be anyone one of us this go-around.

Hope your new dealer has a good diesel tech and takes care of you this time around.
Not much on the lot except Super Duty. I was/am still angry over the first EGR ordeal and the latest recall just reopened old wounds. Yes, I was and am still venting, but I want others to take something away from my horrible first experience. If you can, tell dealer to take their time and do it right. Look over your truck thoroughly when you pick it up, you paid a lot of money for the truck and it's not your fault it's recalled!

·
Registered
86 Posts
BTW, Ram has also had an EGR cooler recall. My Ram is about to tun over 100,000 miles and my warrantee will run out. Already have an appointment with a local diesel garage to delete that POS. Hasn't caused me any problems, but a bunch of them have. Had mine shut off since new, though.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW, Ram has also had an EGR cooler recall. My Ram is about to tun over 100,000 miles and my warrantee will run out. Already have an appointment with a local diesel garage to delete that POS. Hasn't caused me any problems, but a bunch of them have. Had mine shut off since new, though.
I wouldn't be so upset if it were like my old GM vehicles, unplug a vacuum line or electrical connector, 2 bolts and it's out. But these SOBs are buried and a lot of things have to be removed and replaced, in very tight quarters. Another recall for this and it's getting traded in.

·
Administrator
782 Posts
BIG difference between Dodge RAM EcoDiesel "EGR Cooler" NHTSA-initiated recall and Ford-initiated F150 Diesel "EGR By-Pass Valve" recall = as far as I know we haven't lost an F150 Diesel to a spontaneous fire yet!

I think the EcoDiesel EGR Cooler recall is a little larger (2013-12019 models) and more spectacular (trucks burning on the side of the road) than the few owners here who have had a screw or thrush washer ingested into the engine -- at least you can stick a new engine into the Ford when all is said-and-done = can't say as much for your fellow EcoDiesel owners standing next to burnt-out shells of their vehicles.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i see i also have that recall, i am on holiday in Pa. you think i will be safe to drive back to NC
From what we are seeing, it tends to be the hard working diesels that are more prone to this issue. Not to say it won't happen, but if it were me, I'd just drive it home and take to Ford dealer ASAP.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts