Diesel F150 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to get the equilizer hitch, anyone running this one. The TT is squatting the trailer 4" in the rear , but all is level..
Driving it I do have sway due to the hitch weight. I don't know the hitch weight since there is no scales near me and not wanting to buy a special $120 weight scale hitch..Any help would be appreciated.
My TT is 6700# according to combine on the sticker.
Thanks Jerry

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
My trailer is 24 ft long, 27 with hitch and weighs 4,200 dry. I have a hitch that is about 10 years old and I have no idea what brand it is but if I just use the hitch part without the bars it is a big difference. I wouldn't want to go on a long trip with just the hitch alone.

It has a sway bar as well but I don't see a huge improvement from it. Only 1 time did I have sway and that was induced by a big tractor trailer passing on a windy day.

On mine if I set the weight bar chains at the 2nd link I am totally level. Real easy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your truck does not squat at that weight in the rear?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Not in the least. I have (I think) an 800 pound WDH and part of setting it up is to take it to a level parking area and trial and experiment to see how many links of chain to use to make it level.

In the photo below this guy is on his 4th link, mine just used 2 to make her flat as a pancake.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm going to get the equilizer hitch, anyone running this one. The TT is squatting the trailer 4" in the rear , but all is level..
Driving it I do have sway due to the hitch weight. I don't know the hitch weight since there is no scales near me and not wanting to buy a special $120 weight scale hitch..Any help would be appreciated.
My TT is 6700# according to combine on the sticker.
Thanks Jerry
I ran the 4 point sway control with my old camper, excellent unit for the money for sway and weight distribution. My brother in law currently uses the E2 Fastway equalizer and loves it, that is the one they push at out local rv dealership these days. When you get either setup correctly the truck should tow like a dream. They have 6000lbs, 8000lbs, 10000lbs, 12000lbs units to buy. For the measurement for weight distribution from equalizer you need to go see what the height difference is between the tire and the fender on the front wheels when truck is loaded with all your gear and fuel with no trailer, compared to with trailer on the truck. The goal is to get half way back to the first measurement with the hitch setup.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a 4" difference in the rear now.
I'm hoping the WDH will take out the squat..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No scales to test the real weight, also no tounge weight available other than the pics.
What can you guys tell me about pulling my Rockwood 2509 TT.
I'm buying a WDH soon, 12000# I guess. But need some advice.
I have read so much that I'm confused, and don't trust the RV dealership.I did add rear Billstein 4600's this week and it helped the bounce.
Passenger and carry weight will be about 60O#'s. Truck is double cab 4x4 FX4 short bed XLT.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Jerry

Attachments

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I didn't do the math on your setup but take a minute to look at this from etrailer. This is the hitch I have. I mentioned mine was 800# which is the tongue weight but it is a 10,000# unit. I noticed in the reviews the 2nd one down is
owned this for about a year now. i use it on my 6000 pound camper. it has worked perfectly. The sway bar has worked very well when i had a side wind
which is in your territory. I just estimated my tongue weight which should be 10-15% of total weight (anything less WILL sway).

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Curt/C17062.html

Give etrailer a call, they are easy to work with and seem to be very honest.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted a hitch that you can back up with, also not a fan of chains.. Thanks for the info.Im just curious if my truck will haul the rig..I bought into the whole F150 pulling.and hauling without doing my homework, especially selling a new F250 to buy a F150 for

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
OK, let us know how it all turns out. These trucks haul well with no real concerns.

By the way, not sure what that guy was talking about, I back up the same with or without the WDH. Each to their own, I guess.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is your payload capacity 4x4..Anyone and Everyone.
Mine is 1380#'s pretty sad.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the payload is the same as mine , your not going to be able to pull 10,000# unless the tounge weight is almost nothing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 2019 payload is 1,385#. My trailer is about 6k loaded. My tongue verified by a Sherline scale is about 825#. I’m within 75-100# of my gross axle ratings on BOTH axles. My max trailer rating will NEVER be hauled with this payload. It’s asinine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts