Diesel F150 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This sticker about modification is in my engine bay.
The question I have is, what are the differences between CARB and EPA certified emissions products?
It specifically mentions products, not parts.
Most big name tuning companies have CARB certified tunes now....
I will ask my service dept for their stance on this but just wondering what you all think about this possible window into warranty safe mods.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
CARB only applies to California. Differences between CARB and EPA While the two regulatory bodies have a lot in common, CARB compliance is usually stricter than EPA. CARB compliance is mandatory in the state of California while EPA compliance covers all the states of the U.S.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dunrollin. So even though a product is CARB certified it doesn't necessarily mean that it is also EPA certified even though CARB is stricter. Sounds typical of regulating bodies.

·
DieselF150Forum.com Vendor
20 Posts
The emission limits are still set by the EPA, for instance Tier III, LEV160 on the Ford. OEMs submit data to EPA for certification and sales in 49 states. The OEMs also send the same data to CARB for CA certification. It is mostly doubling efforts for manufacturers. In some cases, OEMs will certify to stricter standards for CARB for fuel economy credits. The is some gaming to that whole deal and many trucks are exempt from CAFE (corporate average fuel economy) standards.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GreenDiesel, is there anyway for a tuning company, like Green Diesel, to become EPA certified? Or are there too many hoops to jump through?
From what my sticker says, I could have a tune and still be warranty compliant if said tune was EPA certified.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts