Diesel F150 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you tweaked with Forescan, or those running a ScanGauge, at what percent soot load do you regenerate? In 15,000 miles, mine is around 58 to 62 percent. I never hit 100. I’m trying to determine if my DPF system has been messed up since new, now that I’m getting DTC’s every time the truck regenerates. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine seems to regenerate at 100 percent, but, regen stops at 20-50 percent. It never gets to zero. I attributed it to my driving. 26k miles 2018 King Ranch

·
Super Moderator
437 Posts
@Smokewagun - never ever before 100.0% full:
  • I watch mine creep up to 99.22% then 99.66% via FORScan monitoring
  • It is not until I hit 100% that I see "DPF Full" message in the IPC
  • Sometime after I will see DPF full % in IPC & FORScan start descending during Active Regen
  • I consistently get to 0% with an occasional premature "exit" at 5% or 10%
  • I could only wish Active Regen would start before 100% when I initiate a "blow-out" run prematurely before 100% Full
As I have mentioned in previous threads, the DPF Full % gets a little murky below 35% according to FORScan, so I think the DPF Full % is extrapolated from a number of metrics below 35% = I wouldn't be obsessed in getting to 0% on every Active Regen.

I don't know if your generic ScanGauge tool needs to be updated for our Ford F150 3.0L PS Diesel, so I would try to cross-verify via FORScan if possible, because at this point we don't know if your 58-62% Full metric is your truck or your measurement tool. You aren't the first member to report strange metrics in their ScanGauge tool on a F150 PS Diesel: Scangauge II - Who's Using?

My guess is that the ScanGauge tool is wrong or you are looking at the wrong metric:
=> Which DPF_SOOT_PCT is ScanGauge reporting?
===> Inferred Open Loop in blue below?
===> Inferred Closed Loop in green below?
=> Hint: neither of these are what is reported in the DPF % Full in your IPC

What are the DTCs you are getting now?

·
DieselF150Forum.com Vendor
15 Posts
The regen should start once 100% is reached. 100% is just for the soot model calculation, the DPF is not "full" at that point and can handle a few more grams of soot before delta P starts reading high.

·
Super Moderator
766 Posts
Great info jmperlik!

·
Super Moderator
437 Posts
@Smokewagun - what firmware level is your ScanGauge at?

As @Milehghcty indicated in his Scangauge II - Who's Using? it looks like you need to be at Firmware level 4.22 or higher for the Ford 3.0L/3.2L PS Diesel:
=> See the 3.0L & 3.2L Diesel section of the X-Gauge Commands online documentation
=> Note the red 4.22+ Required in the Notes column for every row
=> Guessing that if you bought your ScanGauge prior to 2018, you are most likely back-level on your ScanGauge firmware level and need to upgrade

Full disclosure: I don't personally own any ScanGauge product, but I do work in the IT industry and very familiar with how H/W firmware levels work

Thanks to @Milehghcty for finding the minimum ScanGauge firmware level that supports the Ford 3.0L PowerStroke Diesel

I am willing to work with both of you to map the X-Gauge codes to FORScan PIDs, but I think you will need to be at 4.22 or higher before we attempt anything...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jmperlik, I just sent my ScanGauge in for an update. I worked with Ron to test codes for the 6.7L after it came out. LinearLogic says most of the 3,0L codes from the transit work, but I haven’t had that luck. Many 6.7L codes DO work. Recently, I ran a data logged for LinearLogic to pull data for them to develop codes. I have yet to test them, and am a bit ashamed it’s taken so long getting back to them, but several I tested this far don’t work. I’d gladly run codes to try new ones if you have.

·
Super Moderator
437 Posts
@Smokewagun - sounds like you already have an inside connection at LinearLogic who has used you previously as a test guinea pig for the Ford 6.7L?
=> If so, then I think you need to go thru the same process w/Ron for the 3.0L ScanGauge codes, because based on what @Milehghcty said, 4.52 firmware level still is no good
=> Since I have no-dog-in-this-fight, I think I'll step back and let you and @Milehghcty work directly with Ron at LinearLogic to get this sorted out for all ScanGauge users....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts