Diesel F150 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ford F-150 Powerstroke diesel King Ranch
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am coming up on 30,000 miles on my 2018 Ford F150 King Ranch diesel. The stock tires were good, but not great. I'll make it through this winter (which has been very mild in Virginia), but will need new rubber by the end of summer. I do a good bit of off roading on a farm on easy terrain, but off road performance and on road manners will both be important. Any input on a good choice for my next tires? At the moment I'm thinking Pirelli Scorpion AT.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The best are BFG KO2s off road champions they will last 60 plus thousand miles and are 10 ply. I went through shank rice fields on them with my old Raptor. I am sure they make a smaller size, some will say Toyo but BFGs are the best.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Tires are a very subjective matter. I have a lowly 7,000 miles on my truck and have been satisfied with the stock tires and I imagine I'll continue in a similar vein when they've worn. To help, I've had the BFG KO2s and Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac on smaller jeeps. Those are both considered among the best all-terrain tires, maybe top two. The KO2s wore out quicker and were more expensive but had slightly better road manners. The Duratracs were better value for me. I tried both in snow and found the duratracs to be better probably due to the nice sipping. KO2s are also heavier, which translates to more expense in fuel and pedal feel. The duratracs started with ok noise but with wear got noisy on the road. On gravel and mud, both performed well and I would find it hard to compare. I will say I was pleasantly surprised at the better stopping power I got with ATs over standard road tires in those conditions. For sketchy and twisty gravel roads in the mountains, stopping safety is important.

Buying a tire, you've got to be honest with yourself and your needs. I switched to an AT in my Jeep cause I was getting stuck at my favorite camp spot but was surprised at how much better gravel road driving became. I'm glad I did but the loss of power and fuel consumption were both noticeable. I won't be giving that up on my F150 and personally prefer something best on road for now.

One important thing to mention is always consider the load range on the tire you're buying. I bought Cs for my jeep and am glad I did but the F150 will need tires rated appropriately!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had Duratracs on my last truck and loved them for about a month. They wore horribly. Literally pulled them off with about 25k miles! Liked the way they looked though but as said above got real noisy with miles on them. Had pretty good service out of Cooper AT3's. As far as getting the appropriate rating....what is everyone using? The OEM tires on these trucks are Passenger tires correct? So would you replace with a 6ply (C load) 8ply (D) or what? There is no need at all for a 10ply E load rating tire on an F150 unless you are maybe running it with a truck camper on it I would think.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I considered the KO2’s but went with the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. 295/60/R20. I did a 2.1” front level for them to fit, you make need to opt for a smaller size if you’re stock. They are amazing in the dirt and snow and quiet for everyday driving. Look sick too!

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I considered the KO2’s but went with the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. 295/60/R20. I did a 2.1” front level for them to fit, you make need to opt for a smaller size if you’re stock. They are amazing in the dirt and snow and quiet for everyday driving. Look sick too!
Nice setup, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
766 Posts
I love Toyos!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Anyone have experience with Pirelli Scorpion AT's?
I've never heard anything good about them. A guy on my first ship got a new F250 in 2006 that came with the pirellis and he hated them. Pirellis used to come stock on F150s, and most would change them for something else fairly quickly.

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
@cheetah4570 - From another unrelated thread, but summarizes the tire history of my last three (3) F150 Platinums:
...these Hankook AT tires are the best factory tire that Ford has put on any of my last four (4) Ford vehicles:
  • My 2018 F150 Platinum has these same 275/55R20 Hankook AT tires
  • My 2015 F150 Platinum had these same Hankook AT tires w/42K miles and some decent tread left on them when I traded it in (probably could have gotten 50K out of them)
  • My 2010 F150 Platinum had Pirelli Scorpion ATRs which didn't last 30K miles and got flat spots that would thump until the tire warmed up (= will never own Pirellis again)
  • My 2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition had GoodYears that started showing belts at 33K miles
They don't ride as nice as the Michelin LTXs I put on my 2010, but at least they made it over 40K miles..
My 2010 F150 Platinum came with Pirelli Scorpion ATRs (All-Terrain crossovers not to be compared/confused w/their AT Plus off-road) which were by far the worst factory tire I have owned:
  • Looked more like a low-profile street racing tire than anything All-Terrain (aggressive would not be the word I would use describing the tread)
  • Didn't make it to 30K miles before wearing out
  • Were pretty bad/slick in the rain (even though the tread design was supposed to help with aquaplaning)
  • Were absolutely horrible/dangerous in the snow (remember reading how Canadian owners would demand that their dealer swap the tires out for something else after 1st snow fall)
  • Based on rain and snow performance, I'd hate to see how they would perform off-road in some mud...
  • Would develop flat spots sitting overnight in my driveway that would thump the next morning until tires warmed up (took me months to figure this out & confirmed by other owners!)
  • Reviews seemed to be night-and-day; i.e. people either "loved" them or "hated" them (like me) so can't explain if I got a bad set? Most of the "hate" reviews were Ford F150 owners!
Based on all of the above I vowed to never own another set of Pirelli trucks tires (period)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@cheetah4570 - From another unrelated thread, but summarizes the tire history of my last three (3) F150 Platinums:

My 2010 F150 Platinum came with Pirelli Scorpion ATRs (All-Terrain crossovers not to be compared/confused w/their AT Plus off-road) which were by far the worst factory tire I have owned:
  • Looked more like a low-profile street racing tire than anything All-Terrain (aggressive would not be the word I would use describing the tread)
  • Didn't make it to 30K miles before wearing out
  • Were pretty bad/slick in the rain (even though the tread design was supposed to help with aquaplaning)
  • Were absolutely horrible/dangerous in the snow (remember reading how Canadian owners would demand that their dealer swap the tires out for something else after 1st snow fall)
  • Based on rain and snow performance, I'd hate to see how they would perform off-road in some mud...
  • Would develop flat spots sitting overnight in my driveway that would thump the next morning until tires warmed up (took me months to figure this out & confirmed by other owners!)
  • Reviews seemed to be night-and-day; i.e. people either "loved" them or "hated" them (like me) so can't explain if I got a bad set? Most of the "hate" reviews were Ford F150 owners!
Based on all of the above I vowed to never own another set of Pirelli trucks tires (period)

Good scoop, thanks. Just what I was looking for!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’m running Cooper AT3 4S’s on my 2019 F150. Best tire I’ve run in an F150, ever. BFG’s are fine on heavier truck, but on the lighter F150, become a rotation nightmare. I rarely rotate my Cooper. After 30k, they look new. I’d be surprised if I can’t pull 70k or more out of them. Very quiet, smooth, and handle dry, rain, or snow like a champ.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts