Diesel F150 Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2018 F150 3.0L 4x4
3 Posts
I realized today I have not shared several pictures taken during installation of the electrical cord for the block heater. And, I've come across several illustrations from Ford that may help with installation of the block heater cord.
Perhaps this additional information may be of some help. Starting with the front of the truck with the intent to fish the block heater cord starting with the block heater end of the cord at the front of the truck (I learned this the hard way).

The front license plate bracket can be removed by spreading the clips:
View attachment 2431

The front bumper trim piece on the driver's side is removed:
View attachment 2432

The block heater cord plug end after installation.
View attachment 2433

With the bumper removed, this is how I routed the BH cord. I had to remove the front bumper to get the plug end of the cord routed through this small space (because I started installing the BH cord at the engine block end).
View attachment 2434

The route I used for the BH cord. The large frame is the left side front to rear main frame, with the left side toward the front of the truck. The left end of the cord goes to the 120V plug end of the BH cord. The red knob at the top center is the radiator drain.
View attachment 2435

Routing the BH cord under the crossmember on the left side of the left front-to-back frame (ahead of the front wheel). This is looking toward the rear of the truck from the far front of the left wheel well (with the wheel well liner removed). This is how I routed the BH cord - but may not be the route intended by Ford. See the next image for routing above the transverse frame member.
View attachment 2436

I found this Ford image recently. This is looking toward the left front of the engine bay (as if the engine is removed) in the info for recall 18S45 posted here: RCMN-18V894-0685.pdf (nhtsa.gov) . This shows the BH cord routed on top of left front-to-rear frame member. Also, note this appears to show an earlier version of the BH cord with a connector in the cord. I wish I had found this image when I installed the block heater a year ago.
View attachment 2438

Another Ford illustration in the 18S45 recall info. This appears to show the route for the BH cord on the front left side of the engine.
View attachment 2439

Closer to the BH.
View attachment 2441

The cord plugged into the BH.
View attachment 2442

Hope these pictures and images help. For me, they still leave me scratching my head. I know my BH installation is not quite what Ford planned - but it works.

Could you advise what the torque spec is for the block heater? Also how much coolant comes out when the plug is removed. Still trying to decide on doing the install myself. Thank you for your post info.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The torque spec for the block heater is 41 lb. ft. (55 Nm).
I needed about 5 quarts of coolant to refill the system after installing the block heater. I had the front of the truck on jack stands to make it easier to work inside the left front wheel space, and tried to capture as much of the coolant as it ran out of the block when I removed the plug where the block heater goes.
Best success with your BH installation!

·
Registered
2018 F150 3.0L 4x4
3 Posts
The torque spec for the block heater is 41 lb. ft. (55 Nm).
I needed about 5 quarts of coolant to refill the system after installing the block heater. I had the front of the truck on jack stands to make it easier to work inside the left front wheel space, and tried to capture as much of the coolant as it ran out of the block when I removed the plug where the block heater goes.
Best success with your BH installation!
Thank you...! I really appreciate your information to make it go smooth.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts