Diesel F150 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I will be picking up my 2018 platinum babystroke this week and was wondering what break in methods you're using or is there a recommended method for that. I have a long trip planned for April 1st and want it right before I leave.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mine was dealer traded, same dealer different store, and was driven almost 500 miles at highway speeds for like 6 hours.

Dealer told drive it normally, not to baby it, but not continually hold the pedal to the floor either for first 500 miles. Modern engines are much improved over those of 30 years ago, especially when it comes to break-in period. I think your long trip would be good for it.

·
Super Moderator
781 Posts
Just vary speeds and RPM for first 1000 miles, do not pull.

Its in the manual.

·
Super Moderator
781 Posts
Here you go, straight from the manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
"Fuel economy may decrease with lower temperatures during the first 7,500-10,000 mi (12,000-16,000 km) of driving" ... which I read into that our trucks then have a 7,500-10,000 mile break in period. I can say that up here in frostbite falls that my truck is falling into this "...may decrease..." category.

·
Super Moderator
781 Posts
Just take it easy first 1000, vary speeds and gears. After that have at it. What I have always done. Works OK for me!

I would change the oil at 1500-2000 miles.

Reactions: HonestJohn

·
Registered
47 Posts
My break in procedure has been the same on all diesels I’ve owned. I run them hard after the first 500 miles. When I tow I run just like I’m empty. This 3.0 is impressive. It’s been over 100 mph many times. Tops out at 115 mph. 331 rear gears. Never baby a diesel!

·
Super Moderator
781 Posts
Yep I drive mine hard now when I need to. I am not scared to put it to the floor.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just take it easy first 1000, vary speeds and gears. After that have at it. What I have always done. Works OK for me!

I would change the oil at 1500-2000 miles.
I seriously would not change the oil on any new engine until the recommended intervals. The first oil fill from the factory tends to have more moly and assembly lubes which are beneficial to the proper break in of the engine. So, I would leave it in there till at least 5 thousand miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts