Diesel F150 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a similar question a long while back, but has anyone changed their crankcase (CCV) filter? My son's 2017 6.7 4x4 Power Stroke filter recently clogged, and as a result, it blew out the upper oil pan gasket/silicone. Local Ford dealer said they have done many oil pan re-seal jobs, only recently discovering the CCV filter is to blame. While his is still under powertrain warranty, his transmission has to come out and apparently it is a very labor intensive job.

On 2017+ 6.7, some say change the CCV filter at 100,000 miles, while my Ford dealer says most start failing as low as 30,000 miles. My son has 60,000 miles on his. The Ford Tech says there is no scheduled maintenance plan for the crankcase filter.

Had I known this could happen I would have changed it myself months ago as videos online shows it may take an hour or so. On the 6.7 it is Motorcraft FL-2077. One video shows a running 6.7 and the guy removes the oil cap and the cap blows off, out of his hand. No wonder the leaks, it has to go somewhere and silicone weakest point apparently. Tell friends/family with 2017+ (2016 and prior had a different setup) 6.7 and over 30,000 miles it might be wise to change their CCV filter.

So back to my point, anyone familiar with the 3.0 diesel CCV? I don't want mine to clog and go through the aforementioned.

·
Super Moderator
621 Posts
I did a search in the 3.0 Coffee Table book and the 2018 Owner's Manual and i don't see any reference to a ccv filter. I am betting we don't have it on our trucks. I will go over to Tasca Ford Parts and see if they have a listing for one.

ETA: I don't see any reference to this on Tasca. I just don't know.

Reactions: mascrappo

·
Administrator
898 Posts
@mascrappo - I am by no means an Subject Matter Expert on this topic nor an expert on the 6.7L PowerStrokes, but the internet is a wonderful thing where you can read about other owners' issues.

The particular issue you raise seems to be specific to the 6.7 engine design only and even Ford confused things by having serviceable filter and non-serviceable/sealed designs. Best explanation is that the issue is cause by the routing/piping of the oil flow and order of the components contributing to the serviceable version (w/filters) clogging as low as 30K and Ford promptly switching back to the non-serviceable style w/o filters.

I believe I read here that our engines have a Built-in oil catch can design since the oil cooler/filter assembly sits it a warm spot the "valley" on the top of the engine where the separated oil can drain back into the engine via gravity.

I don't see any CCV filter shown in the 3.0L Ford F-150 Diesel Coffee Table Book, but I did find this interesting section on the Crankcase Ventilation Heater (CVH) system found in our trucks:
Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Based on reading thru various 6.7L threads on this issue, a lot of owners were surprised by how much oil was collecting on the intake side of things = this Crankcase Ventilation Heater on our engines appears to heat the crankcase vapors to prevent oil sludging on the intake side? Assuming a CVH design like this also solves the water condensation issue that plagues catch-can systems in cold weather.

The "go to" fix for this on the 6.7Ls is to install a Moshimoto "catch-can" in addition to the non-serviceable style CCV filter. Here is our best thread on ExtermeDiesel's Oil catch-can setup for our engines: Oil Bypass System where @08Tiger posted pics from his custom install.

I think the consensus was a catch-can is overkill/not necessary for us based on engine design and CVH, but I will certainly ask for other members to chime in to keep me honest...

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far so good from what you guys are finding then. The 6.7 fiasco has been a real pain and I don't want a replay. The heated crankcase venting is interesting! Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts