Diesel F150 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ford F-150 Powerstroke diesel King Ranch
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 F150 diesel King Ranch with just about every option. I wanted to post a list of some of the issues and recalls I have worked through, and see what other owner's experiences were. The recalls take a lot of time and effort going back and forth to the dealer, but I love the truck and have to say my customer satisfaction is strong. Coming up on 28,000 miles now. Here we go:

- Engine block heater. Received a recall notice 18V894000 and mine was bad. Unfortunately took four efforts to fix it, but now works fine. First heater blew fuses in the house when plugged in, second was defective and read infinite resistance on an ohmmeter.
- Insulation on seat belt mounts. Received a recall notice 18V568000 and repaired under warranty during an oil change appointment.
- Door freezing issue. Received a recall notice and my doors did freeze whenever there was rain followed by freezing weather. Issue was that you could open the door, but the door would not latch so had to drive to work holding it closed. Repaired under warranty but this winter it did it again.
- EGR valve issue. Repaired under warranty. As far as I know the bolts in my old one were fine, but I didn't see the old part.
- Driver's side seat massage and lumbar adjustment not working. FORScan showed SCMG not communicating. Took to dealer and though there was no recall notice, there was a technical service bulletin (TSB) and dealer did a great job repairing under warranty. Did both side, too.

This is all I can remember this morning. Everything is working fine now and I love the truck.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Only one of those is a diesel issue, and only on trucks built before Sept 2018. The rest apply to all F150's, and its nice to see ford standing behind them and fixing these minor issues. The only one that was really urgent was the EGR valve, everything else can wait to be done with regular maintenance if you get that done at Ford.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only one of those is a diesel issue, and only on trucks built before Sept 2018. The rest apply to all F150's, and its nice to see ford standing behind them and fixing these minor issues. The only one that was really urgent was the EGR valve, everything else can wait to be done with regular maintenance if you get that done at Ford.

Agree. And I admit that no massaging seat is a first world problem, but it's amazing how irritating it became!

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
The egr issue got my 1st truck. This one has been flawless (8,800 miles). Didn't worry about the frozen doors or block heater due to my desire to avoid freezing weather the rest of my life.

I still have my 2013 F150, over 100,000 miles and it has been flawless. 1 recall on the sound system and I did any other service issues.

·
Super Moderator
766 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
2018 15k miles: I have had all the same issues except the lumbar as I don’t have that feature. However I have had an issue with the adaptive cruise control and sensors randomly not working or just stop detecting vehicle and start accelerating since the block heater cord was replaced. I have taken it in multiple times and they can’t reproduce the issue even though I have all the error notices in the FordPass app as they sync over. I even told them it started after the replacement of the block cord. I have since filed a report the the NHTSA.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2018 15k miles: I have had all the same issues except the lumbar as I don’t have that feature. However I have had an issue with the adaptive cruise control and sensors randomly not working or just stop detecting vehicle and start accelerating since the block heater cord was replaced. I have taken it in multiple times and they can’t reproduce the issue even though I have all the error notices in the FordPass app as they sync over. I even told them it started after the replacement of the block cord. I have since filed a report the the NHTSA.
Sorry, that's a pain but might help other folks with the same problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 2018 F150 diesel King Ranch with just about every option. I wanted to post a list of some of the issues and recalls I have worked through, and see what other owner's experiences were. The recalls take a lot of time and effort going back and forth to the dealer, but I love the truck and have to say my customer satisfaction is strong. Coming up on 28,000 miles now. Here we go:

- Engine block heater. Received a recall notice 18V894000 and mine was bad. Unfortunately took four efforts to fix it, but now works fine. First heater blew fuses in the house when plugged in, second was defective and read infinite resistance on an ohmmeter.
- Insulation on seat belt mounts. Received a recall notice 18V568000 and repaired under warranty during an oil change appointment.
- Door freezing issue. Received a recall notice and my doors did freeze whenever there was rain followed by freezing weather. Issue was that you could open the door, but the door would not latch so had to drive to work holding it closed. Repaired under warranty but this winter it did it again.
- EGR valve issue. Repaired under warranty. As far as I know the bolts in my old one were fine, but I didn't see the old part.
- Driver's side seat massage and lumbar adjustment not working. FORScan showed SCMG not communicating. Took to dealer and though there was no recall notice, there was a technical service bulletin (TSB) and dealer did a great job repairing under warranty. Did both side, too.

This is all I can remember this morning. Everything is working fine now and I love the truck.

So right after I read a thread about some owners not getting moon roofs due to their potential to fail, mine failed. Tried to open the roof, it didn't seem to want to go. Pushed the button a couple more times and it made a loud pop and opened, but then made noise as it opened and would not open and close reliably. I managed to get it closed and called the dealer. They gave me an appointment early the next morning and fixed it in one hour. Turns out there is a technical service bulletin (TSB 18-2374) covering the issue. Work completed under warranty with no charge to me, warranty repair cost $327.55. Real good performance by Ford and Koon's Sterling Ford on this one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another problem popped up and I'll add it to this thread in case someone has a similar problem. The front end of my truck started to make a grinding noise. It sounded like a wheel bearing going bad and came and went. I could even feel some vibration through the steering wheel. Back to the dealer and as soon as I described the symptoms the service rep said "Oh, sounds like your IWE." The IWE is a vacuum operated device that engages the front hubs in four-wheel drive. A vacuum keeps the hub disengaged. Apparently, under certain conditions, certain parts of the system can fail causing vacuum to drop which makes the hubs try to engage. Obviously this chews up the hubs, too. In any event, dealer fixed it for free in about 2.5 hours.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
As soon as I read your second sentence I said "IWE". This one component has been a weak part of the trucks for several years. Often it is the solenoid that fails, sometimes the vacuum lines and less often the iwe itself. The iwe itself seems to be softer metal so replacement isn't too bad. Trouble shooting is easy and if it happens on a trip you can just unplug the vacuum line at the solenoid and complete the trip. That will just keep the front end engaged but no power to the wheels as the transfer case will still be disengaged.

·
Super Moderator
437 Posts
@cheetah4570 - keep an eye/ear on this, as the Front Wheel Hub assemblies for any of the F150 trim levels with AWD (think Lariat and above) has been "redesigned" at least 10 times since 2015 due to the needle bearing at the end of the 4WD/AWD shaft that is always spinning running dry of any grease/lubricant. Ford is having a very hard time keeping grease in this needle bearing and the part revisions/suffix on the part # were past "H" when I traded in my 2015 F150 Platinum in 2018.

The symptoms I had were a wheel vibration/shuttering on deceleration between 30 MPH down to 5 MPH along with an occasional squealing when turning the wheel. Stuck IWE was one of the things they tested for as a pre-cursor to Ford swapping out both Front Wheel Hub assemblies. I only had my Front Wheel Hub assemblies replaced once and this issue was one of the reasons I upgraded to my 2018 F150 PS Diesel Platinum.

My buddy at work had a 2016 F150 Lariat with this issue so bad that my dealer was changing Front Wheel Hub assemblies every time he went in for an oil change. Since he bought the 2016 used from the dealership, and the truck was driven by the Service Manager for the first 9 months new and then owned for another year by a Service Technician, he got an free extended warranty from the dealership when he bought it. I helped influence a sales deal to get my buddy out of this headache = he upgraded to a new 2019 F150 Lariat for a pretty sweet price.

Bottom line: If you still experience the same symptoms, it may not be the IWE but rather the needle bearing going dry in the Front Wheel Hub assembly = Let's hope not!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts