Diesel F150 Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Premium Member
273 Posts
@Dunrollin thank you. I used the wire tie trick and green cap did come off, but it left the back part of it in the neck and I can't get it out? I pried and pulled, twisted for an hour and it won't come out? The cone shaped piece you show is loose, but remains of green cap flapper won't let it come out. Your pic of the green cap in your hand, only the green part came off, the black part with flapper stayed and will not come out. So I took the pin, spring, and damaged flapper out, and reinstalled the green cap.

Another twist to the story is the lower flapper (contained in white piece you show) is locked OPEN, no matter what. I tried pulling it closed, nothing. Feeling flapper with my finger it moves a little against the spring, no damage, but is clearly latched/locked into "open position" as if the funnel or nozzle is inserted. So now, all the effort to find the right size Ford funnel to unlock that flapper appears to be in vain! I still have my vinyl fence post cap on it so dust and water stay out, but would not mind having the green cap with a flap (*if I can get the old one out!).

Maybe I should stop complaining and just run with it, see it as a gift from God...

· Super Moderator
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I now remember that part of the job- the very worst part of the job. If I recall, that part is pressed in at manufacture and is really in there. I think it is held in by 2 "bumps" that I bet are made after the part is inserted. Anyway, it is really jammed in there. It is the part pictured and by the time I got it out it wasn't going back in. I can't remember what I did with it but it was not usable.

I used several tools to get it out, maybe a slide hammer even.

Note in the photo of the filler pipe the two indents that hold that thing in. Ford doesn't sell any of these parts separately but sells the whole fuel pipe assembly for maybe $400? I can't remember. Sorry, I really thought I had you covered.

· Premium Member
273 Posts
I would still be interested in the green cap in case I get the rest of mine out, it looks better than mine. Well since that lower flapper is locked open, I guess I should just forget about the rest as I don't need any special funnel or fuel nozzle anymore!

· Premium Member
273 Posts
@mascrappo Check this out. P.m. me your address and will try to get them to you. View attachment 2368

As mentioned earlier it is fairly easy to get the green collar out using plastic wire ties to hold the hold downs open so you can pry it out, the black plastic thing just lifts out. I see a scratched place on the bottom of the collar. Oh well, no warranty!
P.M. sent, thanks!

· Registered
5 Posts
Just completed this on my 2021 and it is not the same set up. There is no green cap, its black but you can use the ty rap method. There is no white piece or 2 dimples in the filler neck to hold it in, I believe the lower portion is clipped into the vent hole in the filler neck. I had to destroy the second flap portion, pry the right hand side of the lower portion and turn to allow it to release from the filler neck.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts