Diesel F150 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen this message and have a solution?

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did you check the DEF fluid level? You could try to clear the code with an OBD code reader, see if it comes back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you check the DEF fluid level? You could try to clear the code with an OBD code reader, see if it comes back.
Gauge says I have over 1/2 tank of DEF, I don't have OBD reader.

·
Administrator
504 Posts
@gmissed - get it to a dealer ASAP and have them pull the ODB codes, as it can be any number of things including contaminated DEF, bad NOX sensor, or bad DEF pump or heater, but w/o the actual ODB codes, no one is going to be able to provide you with a solution. Dealer should be able to diagnose and repair under warranty. Please post back with the codes they do find and what their corrective action is.

Reactions: gmissed

·
Registered
18 Posts
@gmissed - get it to a dealer ASAP and have them pull the ODB codes, as it can be any number of things including contaminated DEF, bad NOX sensor, or bad DEF pump or heater, but w/o the actual ODB codes, no one is going to be able to provide you with a solution. Dealer should be able to diagnose and repair under warranty. Please post back with the codes they do find and what their corrective action is.
And ....this is one reason to ensure you put Motorcraft DEF in from a Ford dealer and a kept receipt. If they find contaminated DEF in there and there is no proof its not Motorcraft....thats when the fun starts. Also be aware that DEF is subject to thermal contamination and age. Several examples of crap Blue DEF that has been sitting outside on some station forecourt and exposed to sun and high temperatures that folks have used in their truck and it craps out the system are essentially left holding the bag.

And as always....your mileage may vary along with your non-covered repair. Just sayin' :wink2:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have searched the internet several times for 3.0 Ford diesel failures. There aren't very many out there and I haven't seen any related to DEF issues. (first one in this post) I fill my DEF tank at the local truck stops, the volume of use at the truck stops keeps the DEF fresh. These engines seem to be very reliable so far. A total joy to drive.
I doubt if I am going to buy Ford diesel fuel when they start selling that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got my truck fixed. I'm no mechanic but they said it was a nock sensor and a pig tail that needed to be replaced. They didn't have the pig tail in stock so they had to order one in overnight. They let me drive the truck home over night until they received the part. I returned the vehicle next day for the repair.

·
Administrator
504 Posts
Just got my truck fixed. I'm no mechanic but they said it was a nock sensor and a pig tail that needed to be replaced. They didn't have the pig tail in stock so they had to order one in overnight. They let me drive the truck home over night until they received the part. I returned the vehicle next day for the repair.
NOx (Nitrogen OxIdes) sensor
  • If your pronounce this abbreviation phonetically, then it would sound like "nock" :)
  • This was one of the possible issues I listed below:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NOx (Nitrogen OxIdes) sensor
  • If your pronounce this abbreviation phonetically, then it would sound like "nock" :)
  • This was one of the possible issues I listed below:
Yep you were right on! Wonder what the pig tail was for?

·
Administrator
504 Posts
Yep you were right on! Wonder what the pig tail was for?
Pigtail is just the electrical wiring connector between the sensor and the engine wiring harness.

Since the NOx sensor is in the exhaust path, this sensor is subject to extreme heat cycling (EGTs above 1000 F) and prone to failure, along with the electrical wiring connector, so I would guess they probably replaced both at the same time if there are any failures...

Reactions: gmissed
1 - 10 of 10 Posts