Diesel F150 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 F-150 XLT 3.0L Diesel Rapid Red / Saddle interior
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have searched the forum and I found some different responses but wanted to see if anything new or updated

My findings of importance :

1) Shelf life good up to two years ( if properly tempurature controled 70 deg ish not direct sunlight) dust on a jug is a good indicater that its old . my basement is 55 degs
2) look for API certified and SCR engines-ok'd
3) Look for a good seal on the jug your buying a ie walmart jugs returned filled with water
4) Mixed feeling buying at the pump, moisture and contaminates can get into those tanks but cheapest per gallon
5) Fill once at a 1/4 tank, not lower ( Def keeps pump lubricated & cool ) don't over fill or spill on paint.

So as long as it API certified which Walmart Supertech DEF is and its a good seal and not older stock SHOULD BE GOOD TO USE ?

Ford / Motorcraft just like Harley Davidson does not produce the fluid or manufacture oil they contract it out and slap a label and price increase on it.. IMHO

I look forward to your responses

Ken

·
Super Moderator
596 Posts
That is a good analysis. I think you will find all of them have a date code but sometimes it is hard to find and somewhat cryptic.

Reactions: aaajaws

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Here is something interestng about the API and DEF

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FROM API website - Certification program 2.1 Diesel Exhaust Fluid Certification Mark The API Diesel Exhaust Fluid Certification Mark (API DEF Mark) is designed to identify diesel exhaust fluid intende to operate converters with selective catalytic reduction (SCR) in motor vehicles with diesel engines. The Mark may be licensed only if the diesel exhaust fluid satisfies the requirements of the most recent and applicable edition of ISO 22241,

Walmart Supertech does have the API DEF logo so good to go under Ford specifications.....

·
Super Moderator
596 Posts
I was watching this video of a man who let his def get stale and it cost him quite a bit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was watching this video of a man who let his def get stale and it cost him quite a bit.

Yep saw that video before my last post . Other posts I read said the SuperTech since was cheaper flys off the shelf incomparison so it constantly replaced and therefore a longer shelf life or "fresher". Im buying the Supertech today as Im at 5k miles and 1/4 tank left Just checking the seals in the store before I leave.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've purchased DEF at the pump with no issues - at the same pumps the big diesels use. I look for a place that I'd also feel comfortable purchasing diesel from - one that appears to do a significant volume of diesel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've purchased DEF at the pump with no issues - at the same pumps the big diesels use. I look for a place that I'd also feel comfortable purchasing diesel from - one that appears to do a significant volume of diesel.
I am assuming its the small auto filler spout meaning smaller ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bought the 2.5 Gallon Jug of Supertech DEF comes with a filler hose from Walmart $7.88

I am hoping will wait to hear different Manufacture date Nov 16, 2021 ....??? Today is Nov 21, that is hopefully super fresh. Only 3 of them on the shelf, all the same codes and checked the seal good and tigh on mine .

Could not find how to read the code for Supertech DEF anywhere online .. But is API approved for SCR engines

Font Paper Document Concrete Paper product

Font Gas Rectangle Electric blue Technology

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am assuming its the small auto filler spout meaning smaller ?
The DEF at the pump I've purchased has been from truck diesel fuel islands and is dispensed via hose and nozzle that fits the F150. But, the diesel fuel nozzles at the same islands are the larger truck diesel size (and don't fit the F150). I just get DEF at these big truck fuel islands. DEF at the pump has been around $3 per gallon.
I've not seen DEF at the pump where diesel via auto-sized nozzles is dispensed - but I've not looked very much either.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't have a dog in this fight, and don't have enough miles on the F-150 to speak about how that vehicle's DEF system works. I do have a 2016 Volkswagen Touareg that I bought new that now has covered 110,000 miles. The car has run exclusively on Peak Blue DEF that I have purchased at Walmart/Fred Meyer (Kroger) / and /or Costco. I store the DEF in my basement (35F - 50F). It is just a single date point, but I've never had a single DEF issue with the car.

·
Registered
2018 White extended cab 6.5 foot bed FX4 Tow package Lariat
67 Posts
I buy mine at a local battery warehouse store. Same price as Walmart, and I don’t have to sift through the jugs to find one that is actually sealed !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts