Diesel F150 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2016 Platinum 5.0, 2019 King Ranch 3.0
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good Evening y'all, I've lurked for the past 4 years, and finally made an account. I've got one dumb question.

Have had 10+ Ford trucks, my 2019 KR is the first diesel.

I just ran out of warranty and am looking to delete/tune for a bit more power and hopefully longevity. DPF delete pipe, EGR delete, with a Magnaflow cat in place of the original. Stock otherwise.

This stock 3.0 doesn't have any smell, identical to my 5.0 gas truck. Wife is worried that if I delete, it's going to stink like an old school bus.

So to someone with one, how bad is the smell with just a delete pipe?

I can't find anyone with a deleted truck to check out, I believe I have the only 3.0 in the county.

Edit: I did search the forums, and have seen conflicting answers. Some saying that it's crazy unbearable, with others saying it's not noticeable. Not sure if those saying it's unbearable have other issues with their truck/tuner, or if it's really that bad.

· Registered
275 Posts
It's bad, especially when cold. Like if you walk through it when getting into your truck, you will smell like diesel for a while. It's not as bad when it's warmed up, but definitely noticeable. Some folk have put a universal catalytic converter in there to help with the smell, they run about $500. I haven't done this personally but am considering it.

· Registered
2016 Platinum 5.0, 2019 King Ranch 3.0
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's bad, especially when cold. Like if you walk through it when getting into your truck, you will smell like diesel for a while. It's not as bad when it's warmed up, but definitely noticeable. Some folk have put a universal catalytic converter in there to help with the smell, they run about $500. I haven't done this personally but am considering it.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm planning on installing the cat, yes I believe it's around that $.

How is it from the cab? If we're driving 2-3 hrs highway, will we be smelling fumes? Or is it really just when you're around it (walking by) or idling.

· Registered
9 Posts
How is it from the cab? If we're driving 2-3 hrs highway, will we be smelling fumes? Or is it really just when you're around it (walking by) or idling.
In my experience, you can smell it in the cab if you have recirc off but with recirc on there is no smell. I would imagine at highway speeds, it won't matter either way but in stop and go traffic you would want recirc on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts