Diesel F150 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I finally deleted the truck on Friday after owning it for 3 years. 120,000 km hasn't skipped a beat other then leaving me stranded north of Fort Mac last week due to a def fault. Had it towed to the dealer in Fort Mac, they charged me 400 bucks to reset it, few days later def fault again. I bought the SCT tuner a while back with the 25hp single tune from a decent tuner who has been mentioned several times on the forums and face book. Before the tune there has been no engine related problems; it has had a normal Alberta life plugged in when colder then -15C etc.

3 out of 4 cold starts once deleted it starts like a pile of junk. Smokes black, struggles to idle. By cold starts, ambient temps are around -5C in Edmonton, truck easily would have started at these temps before being deleted. Truck continues to run rough until I shut it off, about 45 seconds max I let it go. Then start again and everything is fine. I only removed the DPF and SCR, didn't touch anything under the hood, so no EGR block off plate or unplugging anything.

This happen to anyone? I haven't reached out to the tuner yet which is why I haven't named them... but its one of the well known ones from Alberta.

·
Super Moderator
715 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I hope you get your issue straightened out quickly, that would be frustrating. I noticed you state you removed the DPF and SCR and the EGR is still in place. Did you unplug the EGR? I am pretty sure you would have to do that, although being here in the US we don't have the choice to delete or not delete.

Keep us informed as it may be of benefit to another user when you get it running smooth.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The EGR is still plugged in. From a theory standpoint the EGR would be closed on startup anyway. I am hoping some members who are deleted chime in with what they had to do and if they had any problems. If I get to the bottom of this off forum Ill update this post.

·
Super Moderator
715 Posts
I still think it has to be unplugged. Look at this post regarding our engine's big brother the 6.7.
This is from Powerstroke.org and again, I am no expert here, especially with the restrictions on US owners, but hope this helps.

Font Rectangle Material property Screenshot Number

·
Super Moderator
866 Posts
Whos tuning? There's only two you can trust on these. Anything else is garbage.

EGR does not need to be unplugged with good tuning, but TB does.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How are you deleting the EGR? If it is the same as the European spec trucks we:
  • Blank EGR pipe (leave pipes on so for annual MOT (road worthy test) it looks normal)
  • Remove the butterfly valve from the air intake (if left on the ECU closes it when it thinks the egr's should be open so that the engine pulls from the exhaust)
  • Apply a patch to the software on the ECU (not sure what that does!). If you don't patch the software you get engine fault/engine check light on
However we don't tend to map out/delete EGR's on the more modern engines as the egr's are needed to artificially increase exhaust gas temps for a DPF regen. If you blank/delete the egrs the DPF never regens and shortly you will need a new dpf - but it looks like you fixed that by removing the DPF! Instant fail in the yearly road worthy test in the UK.

Adrian

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quick follow-up, I unplugged the throttle body and EGR while I was at it a few days after deleting. No issues, rock solid truck now. Its AMDP tunes, pretty good so far.
Other then removing the exhuast, downloading the tune, unplugging a couple things under the hood that is is. I may install a EGR block off plate later but I am in no hurry. I am thinking of just making one at the shop instead of paying a pile of money for a piece of plate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The EGR is still plugged in. From a theory standpoint the EGR would be closed on startup anyway. I am hoping some members who are deleted chime in with what they had to do and if they had any problems. If I get to the bottom of this off forum Ill update this post.
Mine is unplugged and a blocking plate installed in my 3.0L. Not sure if it matters. Mine has a kinda aggressive start when it’s cold but it’s definitely not something I’ve ever had to worry about. I think it just needed a Resonator. After I installed one I don’t notice anything.

·
Registered
2019 XLT SuperCrew 3.0 PS
37 Posts
Can someone post pics of which plugs need to be unplugged for the EGR and the TB?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,
I finally deleted the truck on Friday after owning it for 3 years. 120,000 km hasn't skipped a beat other then leaving me stranded north of Fort Mac last week due to a def fault. Had it towed to the dealer in Fort Mac, they charged me 400 bucks to reset it, few days later def fault again. I bought the SCT tuner a while back with the 25hp single tune from a decent tuner who has been mentioned several times on the forums and face book. Before the tune there has been no engine related problems; it has had a normal Alberta life plugged in when colder then -15C etc.

3 out of 4 cold starts once deleted it starts like a pile of junk. Smokes black, struggles to idle. By cold starts, ambient temps are around -5C in Edmonton, truck easily would have started at these temps before being deleted. Truck continues to run rough until I shut it off, about 45 seconds max I let it go. Then start again and everything is fine. I only removed the DPF and SCR, didn't touch anything under the hood, so no EGR block off plate or unplugging anything.

This happen to anyone? I haven't reached out to the tuner yet which is why I haven't named them... but its one of the well known ones from Alberta.

Hey man, I'm in Alberta too, have a 2018 F150 3.0L, same as you it seems like. I am looking to delete and tune as well since my warranty's up right away, Can you tell me who you used to delete and tune? It's all kind of new to me since this is my first diesel so just looking for some advice, etc. Also, what 'kit'-type thing would you recommend? Seems to me that there might be a few different options available, so what should a guy be looking at? Any advice is appreciated... Thanks!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm in Calgary and did mine not too long ago. I just did a single tune (0hp) with the sct from AMDP, and a P1 exhaust from BCdiesel. Ordered everything online and did it in my driveway. The exhaust with the 3.5 in flow through muffler actually sounds pretty good with not too much drone, although if you want a quiet ride like you have now, you can just buy the race pipe, and use your stock muffler. The tune from AMDP is great and I have not had a single issue since it went in.

Hey man, I'm in Alberta too, have a 2018 F150 3.0L, same as you it seems like. I am looking to delete and tune as well since my warranty's up right away, Can you tell me who you used to delete and tune? It's all kind of new to me since this is my first diesel so just looking for some advice, etc. Also, what 'kit'-type thing would you recommend? Seems to me that there might be a few different options available, so what should a guy be looking at? Any advice is appreciated... Thanks!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm in Calgary and did mine not too long ago. I just did a single tune (0hp) with the sct from AMDP, and a P1 exhaust from BCdiesel. Ordered everything online and did it in my driveway. The exhaust with the 3.5 in flow through muffler actually sounds pretty good with not too much drone, although if you want a quiet ride like you have now, you can just buy the race pipe, and use your stock muffler. The tune from AMDP is great and I have not had a single issue since it went in.
Yeah okay, seems like a few of those steps might be outside of my area of comfort for what I can do myself, but it's good to know that it is possible. Question though, why did you do just a 'single tune' with 0hp, seems like most guys will at least go with a minimum power boost-type of tune. Also, have you noticed better fuel mileage?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yeah okay, seems like a few of those steps might be outside of my area of comfort for what I can do myself, but it's good to know that it is possible. Question though, why did you do just a 'single tune' with 0hp, seems like most guys will at least go with a minimum power boost-type of tune. Also, have you noticed better fuel mileage?
I didn't want to add power as I want to keep my truck long term (10 plus years), and whenever you operate something above it's designed rating, it will either wear it out faster, or break something. If you do any towing, I wouldn't recommend going above stock power. The mileage has definitely increased, mainly due to the truck not doing regens, so I gain about 1-2 L/100 kms. Doing it in the driveway was a bit of a pain, especially getting the old exhaust out while crawling on the ground, but everything bolts into the stock hangers, so it wasn't too bad. Loading the tune is easy, as you just follow the instructions on the device, load the base tune, and then repeat to load the tune of choice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I didn't want to add power as I want to keep my truck long term (10 plus years), and whenever you operate something above it's designed rating, it will either wear it out faster, or break something. If you do any towing, I wouldn't recommend going above stock power. The mileage has definitely increased, mainly due to the truck not doing regens, so I gain about 1-2 L/100 kms. Doing it in the driveway was a bit of a pain, especially getting the old exhaust out while crawling on the ground, but everything bolts into the stock hangers, so it wasn't too bad. Loading the tune is easy, as you just follow the instructions on the device, load the base tune, and then repeat to load the tune of choice.
Yeah okay that makes sense. I plan on having the truck long-term as well; and I do tow the holiday trailer with it all summer. I suppose I am capable of doing some other work on my vehicles beyond the usual oil changes and tires, etc, so maybe I'm just making excuses because I'm getting a bit older and grouchier and tired of rolling around on the garage floor... But it's good to know that even a guy with what are probably average repair skills can complete something like that anyways... I can definitely follow instructions and all that. Another question for you, that often helps make up a guy's mind in deciding whether he wants to dive under the vehicle or not: approx. how much did it cost you to do all the work yourself? Not talking time really, just $. Seems like having a shop do it can run you $2000+ here in Alberta, does that seem accurate?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yeah okay that makes sense. I plan on having the truck long-term as well; and I do tow the holiday trailer with it all summer. I suppose I am capable of doing some other work on my vehicles beyond the usual oil changes and tires, etc, so maybe I'm just making excuses because I'm getting a bit older and grouchier and tired of rolling around on the garage floor... But it's good to know that even a guy with what are probably average repair skills can complete something like that anyways... I can definitely follow instructions and all that. Another question for you, that often helps make up a guy's mind in deciding whether he wants to dive under the vehicle or not: approx. how much did it cost you to do all the work yourself? Not talking time really, just $. Seems like having a shop do it can run you $2000+ here in Alberta, does that seem accurate?
Yeah if that's the case I say go for it, put the rear axle on stands and you're good to go. The instructions with the exhaust are pretty straight forward. All in with the exhaust and tune i was around $1300 CAD for tune and exhaust. I was having a hard time finding a shop to do it, and yeah you'd be looking at about $2500 i'm sure when you find one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts