Diesel F150 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. New to the forum, really like readin’ what other owners have to say. I have a 2018 King Ranch Fx4 that I got brand new 02/28/19. I have a company vehicle, so this thing is low mileage (13,000 so far).
Here’s my situation:

I took my truck in to the dealership for free oil change and paint protection application. Guy tried to sell me the “15,000 mile Maintenance Deal” for $700 and change. Said that was a big “NO”. Agreed to have all the filters replaced for $245. When I picked it up, the service rep said it was more expensive doing an oil change and fuel filter changes on an F150 diesel than it is on an F250 diesel. I have also hear that the 250’s now have the ten speed tranny, they git up and go, and they get pretty good MPG. I will admit that 250 is more truck than I need, but if it’s cheaper maintenance...

Is there something I’m missing? I also don’t think I needed filter changes at two years and 13,000 miles was not really necessary. The truck has been to El Paso (I live in Fort Worth), Brownwood, NE Oklahoma... decent amount of highway driving.

·
Super Moderator
484 Posts
I don't have an issue with changing fuel filters at 2 years and 13,000 miles. That is about the time I did mine. It is about a 30 minute job. Whoa! I just watched a video on changing the F250 fuel filters and I can say I would rather do 2 of our trucks than 1 F250! Ours are pretty simple. The secondary is at the rear of the engine so you have to really stretch to get to it.

The F150 filters are expensive though. Cheapest is usually above $60 for FD4627, which includes both filters.

Dealer is dreaming on the "15,000 mile Maintenance Deal" for just $700. Yeah, right.

Also, welcome, pull up a chair and join in the discussions, great to have you here.

Reactions: justlucky

·
Administrator
740 Posts
I took my truck in to the dealership for free oil change and paint protection application. Guy tried to sell me the “15,000 mile Maintenance Deal” for $700 and change. Said that was a big “NO”. Agreed to have all the filters replaced for $245. When I picked it up, the service rep said it was more expensive doing an oil change and fuel filter changes on an F150 diesel than it is on an F250 diesel. I have also hear that the 250’s now have the ten speed tranny, they git up and go, and they get pretty good MPG. I will admit that 250 is more truck than I need, but if it’s cheaper maintenance...
I would ask/challenge your service advisor exactly WHY it is more expensive to change oil & fuel filters on an F150 vs F250?

F150

F250
All prices are from parts.ford.com except the SuperDuty 10W30 oil and < $200 for either:
F150: $166.22​
F250: $192.97​

As you can see the price of the filters between the two is nearly a wash, and the F150 is cheaper for total parts+fluids primarily because our little 3.0L V6 PowerStroke only takes 7 quarts of engine oil compared to 13 quarts on his "big brother" 6.7L V8.

More expensive because more shop hours? I doubt it....

I think you are being taken advantage of by your dealer on this new engine platform.

Full disclosure: I have a 8yr/100K Maintenance ESP (Extended Service Plan) where I pre-paid for 5K oil change services with the Motorcraft F150 5W30 Full Synthetic Diesel engine oil, so I have no idea what a dealer would charge for the oil+fuel filter combined service

·
Administrator
740 Posts
@navyR113 - understood that you can do better online for the filter prices, but I was trying to provide a side-by-side F150 Diesel vs F250 Diesel comparison using Ford's pricing to:

a.) Challenge the claim by the OP's dealer that an F150 is more expensive to service than an F250
b.) Ponder where the OP's dealer could possibly come up with a $700 service package for either

I understand that dealers like to offer these diesel service packages to SuperDuty owners with the understanding that many takers may be deducting as a business expense, so you need to be careful getting trapped in that mentality.

Even on my F150 gassers, I negotiated the price/quart my full synthetic oil changes. My Service Manager understood and acquiesced, as I could pre-buy Mobil 1 for half-of-the-price of the Motorcraft price per quart. If I didn't have my Maintenance ESP, I would be doing the same for my F150 Diesel oil changes.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Super Duty is kind of a pain. If you have one or know someone who does, strongly advise them to get a spare water drain petcock for the frame unit. They have a simple plastic petcock drain with flimsy plastic ears that easily snap off. Had to drive 60 miles to get one at another dealer (they are like $10?) so we could use the truck the next day. On F150, Rock Auto seems to be best price for our filters.

·
Registered
101 Posts
@navyR113 - understood that you can do better online for the filter prices, but I was trying to provide a side-by-side F150 Diesel vs F250 Diesel comparison using Ford's pricing to:

a.) Challenge the claim by the OP's dealer that an F150 is more expensive to service than an F250
b.) Ponder where the OP's dealer could possibly come up with a $700 service package for either

I understand that dealers like to offer these diesel service packages to SuperDuty owners with the understanding that many takers may be deducting as a business expense, so you need to be careful getting trapped in that mentality.

Even on my F150 gassers, I negotiated the price/quart my full synthetic oil changes. My Service Manager understood and acquiesced, as I could pre-buy Mobil 1 for half-of-the-price of the Motorcraft price per quart. If I didn't have my Maintenance ESP, I would be doing the same for my F150 Diesel oil changes.
Agreed just sharing information.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Super Duty is kind of a pain. If you have one or know someone who does, strongly advise them to get a spare water drain petcock for the frame unit. They have a simple plastic petcock drain with flimsy plastic ears that easily snap off. Had to drive 60 miles to get one at another dealer (they are like $10?) so we could use the truck the next day. On F150, Rock Auto seems to be best price for our filters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts