Diesel F150 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2017 3.5 Ecoboost I unplugged the wire on the trailer connection next to the brake pedal, this turned auto stop stop off all the time, but I just got a 2018 3.0l Diesel and it DOES NOT WORK!

Do the 3.0l diesels not disable auto stop start when a trailer is connected? I wonder why it doesnt work on the diesel.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Appreciate the insight on this and hopefully a work around is discovered soon. Not sure why there would be any difference between the Ecoboost and Powerstroke.

·
Super Moderator
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the insight on this and hopefully a work around is discovered soon. Not sure why there would be any difference between the Ecoboost and Powerstroke.
I unplugged every connector on the trailer module next to the brake pedal, auto stop continued to function, put them all back. Went a bought a 7 blade trailer test light, it worked, it shut off auto stop, but when I used the blinkers, it said trailer light fault and then trailer disconnected and auto stop resumed.

Its raining here now so I will have to play with it more later, I have Forscan, so I hope I can do it with that.

·
Super Moderator
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK On my 2018 Diesel, the one that with the trailer plug next to the brake unplugged would not shut off AS*, disconnecting the BMS sensor does and it works! Just says VEHICLE ON DUE TO CHARGING, according to everything I read this is what is to be expected and actually better for the battery, since it will now fully charge.

My Raptor with the trailer plug unplugged always said VEHICLE ON DUE TO TRAILER. Is this works, this is awesome!

I am going to hook up ODBWiz/Forscan in a moment and see what I am charging at.

·
Super Moderator
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Different truck with ASS disabled! Will never go back!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm guessing its just a personal preference thing. A lot of people aren't a fan of the jarring nature of start/stop tech in their vehicles. Love that you've added that to your sig @wreedsvt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, please excuse my ignorance as I do not currently own a vehicle with A.S.S. but am shopping for an F150 Diesel to replace my 2017 F250. In my test drives there was a dashboard button to shut the feature off. Does it change something by disabling it? Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have to push the button every start. My way you dont

·
Registered
14 Posts
OK On my 2018 Diesel, the one that with the trailer plug next to the brake unplugged would not shut off AS*, disconnecting the BMS sensor does and it works! Just says VEHICLE ON DUE TO CHARGING, according to everything I read this is what is to be expected and actually better for the battery, since it will now fully charge.

My Raptor with the trailer plug unplugged always said VEHICLE ON DUE TO TRAILER. Is this works, this is awesome!

I am going to hook up ODBWiz/Forscan in a moment and see what I am charging at.

were you able to disable it with the forscan? getting ready to try it ourself

·
Super Moderator
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never tried, I just unplugged BMS on the battery.

·
Super Moderator
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you get it to work with Forscan?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Since I traded in my 2010 F150 KR for a 2018 F150 PowerStroke KR with ASS, I decided to experience ASS for a while before making any decisions on how to handle it.

So, yesterday was the straw the broke the camel's back. I was coasting up to traffic behind a red light, reached them, so had to apply the brake. AS* kicked in, light turned green and traffic started moving forward, released the brake and A*S kicked in and I was moving again. It hardly seemed the engine had finished shutting off before it was back on again. There have also been times where I have sat at a stop light for several minutes with the engine shut off via AS*.

Overall, I would equate my experience of ASS with that of driving an electric golf cart, and last I checked it is winter in Minnesota and my golf clubs are not in the truck and put away for the season.

I have now started to push the ASS dash button on and off based on traffic conditions and my expectation of how much time I may be waiting at a red light or stop sign as I approach it. This is starting to get old now as well, so I am getting to the point of thinking of doing the permanent disable.

Here is a video along with the transcript of something I found researching this topic --> https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/the-truth-about-automatic-engine-stop-start-systems

Here is something else I found for a permanent fix, although I don't think I would be brave enough to do an installation like this on my brand new truck (but others of you might be) --> https://www.autostopeliminator.com/

I should be receiving my device from Amazon today to allow me to use Forscan with the truck, so preference for disable will either be a Forscan approach if it is possible, or the approach that wreedsvt took which was to disconnect the BMS sensor--which I did some research on and haven't come up with anything yet that would say don't do that.

I am going to a monthly poker home game tonight, where one of the players is a diesel mechanic at my Ford dealership, so this will be the first time I will talk to him since buying mine, so will ask him about disconnecting of the BMS sensor to see if he knows of any issues with that and will post back on it, as well as any other learnings I may pick up from him.

Cheers!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Did some research on how to disable with FORScan, and here is what seems to be the consistent answer...

Auto Start/Stop Disable
BCM 726-48-02 x0xx xxxx xxxx (Disables Auto Start/Stop)
FCIM 7A7-01-01 xxxx x0xx xxxx (optional - disables switch - the button to turn off)
IPC 720-01-01 xxxx 1xxx xxxx (optional - disables stop/start message center in the trip/fuel IPC menu)

Would be interested if anyone that has been using FORScan already with our trucks is able to verify the above works.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have had no issues with BMS disconnected so far, for what its worth.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have had no issues with BMS disconnected so far, for what its worth.
At the home poker game I played at last Friday night, one of the regular players is a PowerStroke Diesel mechanic at our local Ford dealer. I mentioned to him the BMS disconnect to disable Auto Stop-Start and he didn't seem concerned with that approach.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did some research on how to disable with FORScan, and here is what seems to be the consistent answer...

Auto Start/Stop Disable
BCM 726-48-02 x0xx xxxx xxxx (Disables Auto Start/Stop)
FCIM 7A7-01-01 xxxx x0xx xxxx (optional - disables switch - the button to turn off)
IPC 720-01-01 xxxx 1xxx xxxx (optional - disables stop/start message center in the trip/fuel IPC menu)

Would be interested if anyone that has been using FORScan already with our trucks is able to verify the above works.

Thanks

Hi KDjasper,

I just used this on my truck and it works great. I just did the BCM address change and took it for a test drive. Also added the DPF filter percentage full gauge as well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts