Diesel F150 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ford Tech Makuloco just released a 40 minute video on changing fluid and filter on our 10R80 transmissions. It is a somewhat complex task as he got 20 minutes into it before he was ready to drop the pan.

Good news for us powerstroke owners, he mentions ours is the "easiest" of the F150 engine lineup to do as our exhaust is to the side and not in the way. That is helpful as on the 5.0 V8 several additional steps are needed, including loosening a transmission mount and lifting the transfer case. That looked like fun. He shows a cold fill method that will be easier than working on a hot engine and exhaust.

If it took him 40 minutes to do a video I am sure it will take me a full day to do mine.

·
Administrator
740 Posts
Holy crap! What a PITA that is to change the transmission filter & fluid on what is Ford's new 10R80 transmission on an F150. At least our F150 Diesels don't have the muffler cross-over pipe to deal with like on the 5.0s, as it looks like Ford didn't talk to the Service side-of-the-shop when designing that ordeal, including the transmission cooler wrapped around the transmission. It's like they slapped the 10-speed into the 2017 models as an afterthought, and it took the 2021 model year (14th generation) redesign to correct this with a traditional transmission cooler placement.

@Dunrollin - thanks for posting the link, as I wouldn't have guessed this would be so complicated!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Holy crap! What a PITA that is to change the transmission filter & fluid on what is Ford's new 10R80 transmission on an F150. At least our F150 Diesels don't have the muffler cross-over pipe to deal with like on the 5.0s, as it looks like Ford didn't talk to the Service side-of-the-shop when designing that ordeal, including the transmission cooler wrapped around the transmission. It's like they slapped the 10-speed into the 2017 models as an afterthought, and it took the 2021 model year (14th generation) redesign to correct this with a traditional transmission cooler placement.

@Dunrollin - thanks for posting the video link, as I would not have guessed this would be so complicated!
Thanks for the video, I was thinking of changing my transmission fluid every 2 Yrs? Any comments from the group?

·
Super Moderator
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the video, I was thinking of changing my transmission fluid every 2 Yrs? Any comments from the group?
Ford Tech Makuloco says 60,000 miles on the 6R80 even though the manual says 150,000 I think? Anyway, I did it on my 2013 and even added a traditional dipstick. I wish someone was doing the dipstick for our trucks. I plan to do my powerstroke at 60,000 miles.

Reactions: navyR113

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ford Tech Makuloco says 60,000 miles on the 6R80 even though the manual says 150,000 I think? Anyway, I did it on my 2013 and even added a traditional dipstick. I wish someone was doing the dipstick for our trucks. I plan to do my powerstroke at 60,000 miles.
I will follow at 60,000 miles, l agree on the dipstick! Maybe I will have a look and see how hard a project this would be over the holidays.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Looks a lot like changing the transmission fluid on the ZF8 transmission in the newer Rams. Cheaper fluid and filters, though. When I did my Ecodiesel I replaced the pan/filter combo with an aluminum pan with separate filter setup from PPE and modified a hand-pump garden sprayer to refill the fluid. Wasn't too bad once I got into it, and this one looks to be a bit easier.

Dipstick:
- BM 22200 Locking Transmission Dipstick for 2010-2019, 6R80, 10R80 - RPG Offroad

Aluminum transmission pan options:
- 10R80 (Ford) - PPE Heavy-Duty Cast Aluminum Deep Transmission Pan

- PML Ford 10R80 Deep Transmission Pan

·
Administrator
740 Posts
From Page 563 of 2018 Ford F150 Owner's Guide regarding Scheduled Maintenance:

Seems like pretty long interval to me...

·
Super Moderator
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am a big Ford Tech Makuloco fan and he addresses this issue as it pertains to Fords and especially F150s. His points are:

The 150,000 or lifetime claims are sales motivated, not service. (He calls it total marketing BS) Regarding transmissions he recommends the first pan drop at 30,000. I may miss that one- I am more at 60,000 myself. He points out the 10R80 is solenoid based.

He addresses not only transmissions but all fluids. Good info on front differentials. At least we no longer have steering pumps,

Diesel fuel filters at 15,000 miles. Brake fluid at 60,000. He has a good discussion on antifreeze.

He does agree with some of Ford's recommendations. i also disagree with his oil change recommendations as we have members here who have gotten oil analysis to verify older oil is doing just fine.

This is worth the 13 minutes watch time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looks a lot like changing the transmission fluid on the ZF8 transmission in the newer Rams. Cheaper fluid and filters, though. When I did my Ecodiesel I replaced the pan/filter combo with an aluminum pan with separate filter setup from PPE and modified a hand-pump garden sprayer to refill the fluid. Wasn't too bad once I got into it, and this one looks to be a bit easier.

Dipstick:
- BM 22200 Locking Transmission Dipstick for 2010-2019, 6R80, 10R80 - RPG Offroad

Aluminum transmission pan options:
- 10R80 (Ford) - PPE Heavy-Duty Cast Aluminum Deep Transmission Pan

- PML Ford 10R80 Deep Transmission Pan
Will definitely add the dip stick and the Pan at the first fluid replacement. Thanks for the information!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am a big Ford Tech Makuloco fan and he addresses this issue as it pertains to Fords and especially F150s. His points are:

The 150,000 or lifetime claims are sales motivated, not service. (He calls it total marketing BS) Regarding transmissions he recommends the first pan drop at 30,000. I may miss that one- I am more at 60,000 myself. He points out the 10R80 is solenoid based.

He addresses not only transmissions but all fluids. Good info on front differentials. At least we no longer have steering pumps,

Diesel fuel filters at 15,000 miles. Brake fluid at 60,000. He has a good discussion on antifreeze.

He does agree with some of Ford's recommendations. i also disagree with his oil change recommendations as we have members here who have gotten oil analysis to verify older oil is doing just fine.

This is worth the 13 minutes watch time.

Great video , have to agree there are no lifetime fluids in any industry, it’s the live blood of that particular component and needs to be changed. Still programmed for 60,000kms. Replaced the rear differential fluid early as my Wife insisted on a highly polished Chrome cover, expensive though when you include the fluid, but the ass of the truck looks good and no rust!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I changed the transmission fluid in my Ram Ecodiesel at 100,000 miles. Test results from Blackstone. I do lots of heavy towing. If you plan on keeping your F150 for a million miles, I think every 100,000 mile changes would be perfect. At least 1 guy on the Ecodiesel Ram forums has around 800,000 miles with 100,000 mile changes. He delivers Airstream trailers commercially, btw. Engine oil to compare. The magnets in the ZF pan looked pretty good and the fluid that came out smelled ok.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
I changed the transmission fluid in my Ram Ecodiesel at 100,000 miles. Test results from Blackstone. I do lots of heavy towing. If you plan on keeping your F150 for a million miles, I think every 100,000 mile changes would be perfect. At least 1 guy on the Ecodiesel Ram forums has around 800,000 miles with 100,000 mile changes. He delivers Airstream trailers commercially, btw. Engine oil to compare. The magnets in the ZF pan looked pretty good and the fluid that came out smelled ok.
Thanks for the data!!

·
Administrator
740 Posts
Based on this thread, I think I'll be going with first Transmission service at 50K or 60K with filter and new aluminum replacement pan from PPE: 10R80 (Ford) - PPE Heavy-Duty Cast Aluminum Deep Transmission Pan as I didn't realize that the factory pan:
a.) does not have a drain plug (Ford service techs must love taking a transmission fluid shower)
b.) is intended to be replaced every time you service the transmission? (PPE website alludes to this)
until watching the video. Don't like the concept or look of the plastic transmission pan...

Opinions on whether or not to re-install the heat shields if going with aluminum pan? Deeper aluminum pan w/cooling fins on the bottom of the pan that holds another 1.75 quarts of fluid = no need for the tin-foil heat shields? Our F150 Diesels don't have the exhaust cross-over pipe like the 5.0 in the video shows, so any heat would only be on right side where exhaust/SCR/DPF/muffler runs thru. Maybe I need to get under my truck & snap a pic of exactly what type of heat shield is on our F150s.

Debating on the traditional dipstick, as my dealer will be handling all of my maintenance under my FordProtect Maintenance ESP, so they can access the stubby dipstick while they have it up on the lift.

Thanks to @Dunrollin for the Ford Tech Makuloco link (I have watched some of his SuperDuty videos) and @navyR113 for the PPE link. Got an e-mail question out to PPE on how much extra fluid to add with the deeper pan, as it states 1.75 quarts on the web page but zero reference in the Installation Guide PDF = would think their printed documentation should state the additional amount clearly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts