Diesel F150 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I siphoned out about 2 gallons of "old" def, I just was worried it was too dated to use. I see there are a lot of test kits for def on the market, just curious if anyone uses them? I was reading this topic on my motorhome site and found this interesting. It refers to an issue they had with diesels at work:

The mechanic, after months of fooling with different things trying to correct the problem, decided to hit up the snapon dealer for a def test kit. We had bought a pallet of def late last summer for guys to grab from the shop to keep on hand on site. Well, he gets his test kit, and checks a jug of def. No good, according to the tester. He checks a few more jugs, and same issue. He figures maybe the test kit is wrong because its a fairly fresh pallet and we go through it pretty quick. He stops at pilot and tests their def from the pump and its good. He tests a jug hes got at the house and its good too. After all that he has the def supplier come out and they test ours....bad def. Our pallets been swapped too recently to tell if itll correct the issue, but, the point being watch your def supply. It might even be a good idea to test your def occasionally to make sure youre putting good def in your pickup. Im told harbor freight sells a similar inexpensive test kit and might be worth having on hand.
Also I was watching a youtube video about an rv that had old def:

Anyone here test def?

Reactions: hydrex

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have heard the same thing, get the Walmart branded DEF and only just enough. Never buy extra and keep in your warm garage. BTW, I deleted EGR and DEF at 5,000 miles on my Ram, never looked back. Very easy to pump out the DEF, don't know why his dealer charged so much, oh, yes, I do, haha. Ram Ecodiesel holds 8 gallons of DEF and a tank would take forever to use up. Danger of going bad in the tank if you don't drive a lot, especially in warmer climates.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts