Diesel F150 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so wifey approves new truck purchase on condition that the dogs travel with us.
Only way for that is to add a cap, add crates in bed, secure crates to bed, open sliders and perhaps front of cap window for ventilation.

Whose done this and can share their experience? I don’t want them to freeze or overheat!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ok, so wifey approves new truck purchase on condition that the dogs travel with us.
Only way for that is to add a cap, add crates in bed, secure crates to bed, open sliders and perhaps front of cap window for ventilation.

Whose done this and can share their experience? I don’t want them to freeze or overheat!
How many dogs and what size?

I just built a seats down bench and carpeting to protect seats in his F 250. Had Six dogs not in their crates in the back for a trip from Florida to Missouri. Dogs were great dane to small poodle size. They all get along great.

They said only trouble was the stampede to get them out to pee every 4-6 hours.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
My pups are free to wander about the cabin. Only bad thing is Chance keeps turning on the lane keeper button and the parallel /perpendicular parking button. Who decided to put those flat on the console?

·
Registered
21 Posts
They are expensive, but the only crate that I would recommend for this is a Gunner Kennel. If you check out the site, they have a bunch of stories of people who have been through accidents and the crates protected their dogs. They also have all the proper tie downs, solid anchors, actual locks on the doors to keep the PETA people from "saving" your dogs, and all weather weather kits. They are really popular with the duck hunting community.

I normally travel with only one dog, so I keep my kennel behind the front seat.

https://gunner.com/

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats a good link. I’ll look at those and gun dog crates.
Have to crate in bed as family will be in the cabin. With three 66lb dogs, an accident would become missiles to hurt us and themselves.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We travel with only one GS dog, so I keep my kennel behind the front seat, Amazon Basics Portable Folding Soft Dog Travel Crate Kennel - 31 x 31 x 42 Inches, Tan, it is big crate for one dog, what I like is that is solid, and the wife can put some items on top of the crate and they do not interfere with the dog. Plenty of air gets into this crate I did have to cut the tubing on the top so as not to interfere with my wife’s seat when she wants a little more room. I am also a believer that the dog should be secure in case of accident or fast stop.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Bernese mountain dog is why I changed from an Audi Q7 to my first f150 in 2014. ( now on my third). He gets the back seat area to himself. Alternately sits up and looks out the window or lies down.

He much prefers traveling in the truck to my wife’s SUV. In so many SUVs now when you fold down the back seats they don’t go completely flat. He hated her Range Rover sport, the Macan was ok and her new X5M is ok but still has a slope which he slides down....

·
Registered
17 Posts

I don't see your dogs freezing as much of an issue. Not knowing what kind they are, the heat is your biggest issue. How long will they be in the bed? Even with the vents open on the cap and/or the truck slider open, I don't see you keeping the dogs cool enough mid day in the 80's. Between the road and exhaust underneath, my Dodge used to get hot back there under the cap. To keep the bed cool, built an air conditioner out of a 48 quart(?) ice chest, a trans cooler w/fan, and a 12v submersible pump. The cap had a power strip wired for 12v and lights so powering the contraption was easy. Could turn 80lbs of ice, three gallons of water into 70 degree ambient air and a cooler full of water in about 4 hours. Used to leave the rear slider open with a blowup gasket between the cap and the truck to let some of the cool air into the cab. Used this to haul flowers for my wife. Took $6k worth of prepped arrangements to a wedding 1.5 hours away on the fourth of July. They sat back there for 2.5 hours while we set up the venue. Nice 85 degree summer day.......Worked out real well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts