Diesel F150 Forum banner

201 - 220 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I dropped my truck off at the appointed time 9:30 am last Monday the 18th. Parts were then ordered. They received the parts on Wednesday. Today (Saturday) Not a dam thing has been done to my truck the past 6 days.
Well howdy doody they are working on my truck today. A full seven days since I dropped it off. Picture of old valve. Looks like nothing was broken or missing. 22,000 miles on this valve.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My dealer's diesel tech is backed up so they've had my truck a week and haven't started yet but they did the freezing latch fix. They did put me in a 2021 Explorer Limited though so that's nice.

Something strange I noticed about the Explorer is that the Platinum and Limited trims are reverse of the F150 where Limited it top of the line in the F150 but Platinum is the top in the Explorer.

·
Administrator
693 Posts
My 20E04 finally cleared from both the FordPass app and the Ford Recall website almost 2 months after work being performed, though it shows up with 11/23/20 completion date in my Service History:
  • I think I called on 11/23/20 to schedule the appointment for 11/30/20
  • 11/30/20 appointment got rescheduled to 12/07/20 when recall work was actually completed
Not sure why it took so long or why the dates are wrong, but at least it's finally cleared out...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Intersting, for me I called my local dealer and they said it takes "two days" to do the recall work. The diesel service leader said he had done two other trucks and it took that time so he just tells everyone that is what it takes. Gave me a Ranger as a loaner but the other choice was a Limited Expedition Max. I took the Ranger as I was just curious as to the real differences....which are pretty obvious once driving it. They are little trucks but it seems nice enough on the inside (a Lariat trim) just feels a little like a toy. We will see how the recall on mine goes. Interestingly, service guy said he has been looking for an F-150 diesel for himself. Said the engines have been pretty trouble free outside of the recalls.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the update, Crsavage1. Good to hear the 3.0 engines have been pretty trouble free, other than the recalls.
I suspect the dealer was attempting to manage expectations. My understanding is coolant leaks are relatively common if reassembled with the original coolant tubes and seals. Expecting two days to get the recall completed can help the dealer deliver on their commitment if parts are needed to finish the job.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is there any reason I should smell diesel exhaust in the cab after this recall work? I've never smelled it in the cab before. I just picked up my truck yesterday mourning.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is there any reason I should smell diesel exhaust in the cab after this recall work? I've never smelled it in the cab before. I just picked up my truck yesterday mourning.
I wouldn't think so. If there's an exhaust leak around the EGR valve, that could result in exhaust odors.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wouldn't think so. If there's an exhaust leak around the EGR valve, that could result in exhaust odors.
Right. That's what I'm thinking. I know very little about this install so forgive simple questions. Is that the only component that seals exhaust gas they had to take off during the install?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think I figured it out. I had the fuel filters changed while it was in for the warranty work. They changed them the same morning I picked up the truck. At first start I smelled fresh diesel through the vents. This made sense as I'm sure they spilled some changing the under the hood filter. I think I was smelling burned diesel as what was spilled burned off the engine in the last couple of days. I didn't smell it today.

·
Super Moderator
441 Posts
I bet you are right. When I did mine I put some rags down to soak up the diesel. There was probably a few tablespoons full of fluid.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Watchmaker, thanks for the update. Drumrollin, good to know of the precaution to prepare for some spillage of diesel fuel when changing the fuel filter under the hood.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well it's been two months since my dealer in VA said they ordered the parts for the EGR service call and a month since the dealer near me in FL said they ordered the parts. And the notice disappeared off my FordPass about a month ago. But a search using my VIN says the service is needed. The dealer in VA also neglected to check my alignment on the last service call and suddenly my front tires are cupped and showing extreme tread wear on the edges. So, after 40K miles new Goodyears going on today. I've got a good dependable mechanic - independent - in FL. The dealerships, esp the one near me in VA, not so much. Love the truck despite the issues we've had with the EGR.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just picked mine up after the recall and noticed excessive exhaust smell in the cab for about the first 10 min I had it running and then it went away. DPF was at 95% so I took it for a 20 mile highway trip to clear it out and it ran smooth, no issues or leaks. Thought I’d post about the exhaust smell since I seen your post. I did not have my fuel filters changed at this service FWIW.
Been watching this forum for awhile. Wealth of info here that has helped me to navigate ForScan and the Regen process, thanks to all that have contributed.
2018 Platinum 3.0PS, 42,000 miles

·
Administrator
693 Posts
Just picked mine up after the recall and noticed excessive exhaust smell in the cab for about the first 10 min I had it running and then it went away. DPF was at 95% so I took it for a 20 mile highway trip to clear it out and it ran smooth, no issues or leaks. Thought I’d post about the exhaust smell since I seen your post. I did not have my fuel filters changed at this service FWIW.
Been watching this forum for awhile. Wealth of info here that has helped me to navigate ForScan and the Regen process, thanks to all that have contributed.
2018 Platinum 3.0PS, 42,000 miles
@CDelta10 - thanks for posting your 20E04 recall experiences, as it helps other owners figure what is expected and what is not....

Glad to hear the FORScan education and multiple Regen threads have brought you up to speed on what is happening with your truck. I always smile to myself when someone states what their DPF Full % is = another successful FORScan install and programming to expose this important metric.

I see this is your first post here to the forums after watching for while, so let me be the first to welcome you to the club. Please take a few minutes to formally introduce yourself and your truck over in the New Member Introductions sub-forum.

Congrats on the new (to you) 2018 Platinum PSD!

·
Registered
2 Posts
@CDelta10 - thanks for posting your 20E04 recall experiences, as it helps other owners figure what is expected and what is not....

Glad to hear the FORScan education and multiple Regen threads have brought you up to speed on what is happening with your truck. I always smile to myself when someone states what their DPF Full % is = another successful FORScan install and programming to expose this important metric.

I see this is your first post here to the forums after watching for while, so let me be the first to welcome you to the club. Please take a few minutes to formally introduce yourself and your truck over in the New Member Introductions sub-forum.

Congrats on the new (to you) 2018 Platinum PSD!
@jmperlik -Thank you. Bought mine with 30,000 miles on it and the 12,000 I have put on it have been trouble free. Couldn’t be happier with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
@schlotzj - thanks for posting the official recall document from Ford so quickly!
We improved from ~2 weeks the first time down to less than 24 hours for this round!

My observations/opinions/retractions:
  1. Recall only affects vehicles shipped from Dearborn MI Assembly plant (where my 2018 is from)
    => All engines are assembled in Dagenham, UK (outside of London)
    => Doesn't explain why no Kansas City MO assembled trucks are not affected, unless all diesels are from Dearborn?
    => Does anyone own a F150 PS Diesel assembled in the Kansas City Plant?
  2. Build date range is a almost year wider (9/13/2017 thru 10/05/19 vs 9/13/2017 thru 10/23/18)
    => Recall affects those already affected previously plus another model year
  3. Part revision is the "B" part (JL3Z-9U433-B)
    => "A" part revision is bad = all owners who got FSA 18E02 performed in 2019
    => "B" part revision is good
  4. Still no rental vehicle allowance (which I still think is ridiculous for 1-vehicle households like me)
  5. From the Reason For This Emissions Recall details, the holes drilled thru the shaft for the butterfly valve compromised the structural integrity of the shaft, so we don't know if:
    • "A" part revision "fix" drilled larger holes thru the shaft?
    • Original shaft diameter is too small => Was shaft diameter was increased in "B" part?
Overall this seems to be putting the same affected owners thru the same meat grinder as the last time, and pulls another year's worth of owners in with us. I guess they are fixing it again free-of-charge and everyone affected gets a free EGR "cleaning" as the entire EGR assembly will be replaced with new or remanufacture of the part.

I trust and have faith in my dealership's diesel mechanic, but based on how Ford handled (butchered) the EGR By-pass valve replacements for some owners the last time around, this will lead to diminished owner experience and loyalty.

Thoughts from those owners impacted again?

@Dunrollin - your new/replacement F150 PS Diesel outside the recall window?
I got the same recall for my 2019 about a month and a half ago. Had it into the dealer for something else and was told they are still waiting on parts. Who Knows???

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just got my recall finished and the dealer said 2 days and I said to do the oil change and maintenance service also, and he called me the next morning and said come pick it up, I figured there would be drama because they were so backed up , but on day 2 and she seems fine..I was told the recall had something to do with screw backing out, but he said they change the recall due to some washer..well i know if it was screws then they probably had washers, but he said the new revised recall only mention some washers, so i don't know. But they ordered the parts and they were at the dealership in 3 days and that was last week, so im either lucky or problems will be coming down the pipe..

·
Administrator
693 Posts
I just got my recall finished and the dealer said 2 days and I said to do the oil change and maintenance service also, and he called me the next morning and said come pick it up, I figured there would be drama because they were so backed up , but on day 2 and she seems fine..I was told the recall had something to do with screw backing out, but he said they change the recall due to some washer..well i know if it was screws then they probably had washers, but he said the new revised recall only mention some washers, so i don't know. But they ordered the parts and they were at the dealership in 3 days and that was last week, so im either lucky or problems will be coming down the pipe..
Jerry - the verbiage in the two (2) recalls was slightly different:
  • 18E02 - screws holding EGR By-pass valve flapper could back out & get ingested into engine
  • 20E04 - EGR By-pass valve shaft can split w/possibility of thrust washer on shaft being ingested
Good to hear you are all back together without any drama...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Jerry - the verbiage in the two (2) recalls was slightly different:
  • 18E02 - screws holding EGR By-pass valve flapper could back out & get ingested into engine
  • 20E04 - EGR By-pass valve shaft can split w/possibility of thrust washer on shaft being ingested
Good to hear you are all back together without any drama...
Thanks for the knowledge..I looked on Ford Pass and it said 20E04, so Im assuming there was no 18E02 needed as my Ford Pass did not show it..Sometimes technology scares me..

201 - 220 of 232 Posts