Diesel F150 Forum banner

221 - 240 of 297 Posts

·
Super Moderator
488 Posts
Thanks for the knowledge..I looked on Ford Pass and it said 20E04, so Im assuming there was no 18E02 needed as my Ford Pass did not show it..Sometimes technology scares me..
If your truck was built after October 10, 2018 (I think, I know it was in October sometime) your engine already had the upgraded egr valve. Upgraded but still possibly defective. The pre-October egr valves just had the screws screwed in so some came out, the new ones had the screws welded. Now the issue seems to be the shaft can fracture. Go figure.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Good info..Mine is a 2019 build..I was chewing on my toenails after reading some drama with the recall, makes me feel better, because i really like my truck, and this is my 4th powerstroke...7.3 No issues ,just load..6.0.. 1 partial delete and it failed, then had it bullet proofed then still had issues..then 6.7 no issues, just did not like the mileage and did not need the weight capacity, then this 3.0..So for the best truck I've owned..Had 2 Rams in between, a 2500 and 3500.. Great engines, but every creature comfort went bad inside.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 2019 3.0 was not subject to the earlier EGR recall, but was subject to the later 20E04 EGR recall (which was done successfully Dec. 2020).
My 2019 PS diesel was assembled in Oct. 2019, which is very late in the 2019 model year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I am new to the 3.0 powerstroke and see that it has the open recall 20E04 my question is there anyone in the Denver area that has had this done? What dealership would you recommend? I'd like to get it scheduled soon, Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had my recall done last week, Two days and I had it back. Had a 2020 platinum eco to drive. it was like driving my 18. I have been tossing around about going back to an eco. The eco has faster get up and go but normal driving the torque on the 3.0 feels better.

So I have a question about oil changes. Can someone give me a good reason why it cost $110 bucks at a dealer for an oil change. The only thing I can think of is they group it in with the big brother that take an oil tanker when its time to change oil. I can't see why our trucks are not eligible for the works package. The price of the oil and filter are pretty much a wash:confused::confused:

·
Super Moderator
488 Posts
Good question. I do my own and the costs are not out of line for a normal oil change. Filter (Should be under $10), 7 or so quarts of oil (I can't remember the exact capacity), labor (1/2 hour) and misc for rags and such.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had my recall done last week, Two days and I had it back. Had a 2020 platinum eco to drive. it was like driving my 18. I have been tossing around about going back to an eco. The eco has faster get up and go but normal driving the torque on the 3.0 feels better.

So I have a question about oil changes. Can someone give me a good reason why it cost $110 bucks at a dealer for an oil change. The only thing I can think of is they group it in with the big brother that take an oil tanker when its time to change oil. I can't see why our trucks are not eligible for the works package. The price of the oil and filter are pretty much a wash:confused::confused:
I had my oil changed two weeks ago at the dealer with the regular blend F-150 oil for $59. Did you request full synthetic? It is more expensive.

·
Administrator
744 Posts
There are two "grades" of F150 Diesel oil that support the Ford WSS-M2C214-B1 specification:
  • SAE 5W30 F150 Full Synthetic Diesel Motor Oil
  • SAE 10W30 F150 Diesel Motor Oil
which are described here:

Gentle reminder that this thread is for the FSA 20E04 EGR By-pass valve recall, so please stay on topic.

If you want to discuss cost of oil changes, either:
  • Start a new thread
  • Post to Did I miss something? thread where cost of oil changes has been discussed previously

·
Registered
2018 F-150 PS Platinum, 6.5',
5 Posts
So, I took my new to me 2018 in for the open 2nd EGR recall last week. Dealer kept it all day then called to say they were unable to start the job due to not having all the parts. After confirming parts came in, I took the truck in again this morning. Late afternoon they called again and said that it appears that during the first EGR recall the service tech broke off 2 bolts and "messed up" several others. They will have to drill and extract one. Additional parts, bolts and gaskets need to be ordered to complete the now more extensive work. They seem really apologetic for the poor workmanship completed at a different dealer, but promised that they will make it right. At least two more days at the shop. Thank you incompetent technicians on previous work!!!

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
So, I took my new to me 2018 in for the open 2nd EGR recall last week. Dealer kept it all day then called to say they were unable to start the job due to not having all the parts. After confirming parts came in, I took the truck in again this morning. Late afternoon they called again and said that it appears that during the first EGR recall the service tech broke off 2 bolts and "messed up" several others. They will have to drill and extract one. Additional parts, bolts and gaskets need to be ordered to complete the now more extensive work. They seem really apologetic for the poor workmanship completed at a different dealer, but promised that they will make it right. At least two more days at the shop. Thank you incompetent technicians on previous work!!!
I feel your pain, my first EGR recall was a total F-up too

·
Registered
'19 Platinum, FX4, Carpeted Bed Liner, WT No-Drill M/F, R/W well covers. 20E04 done.
3 Posts

Did the dealership loan you the 2020 Platinum Eco?

·
Registered
2019 F150 PS Lariat
8 Posts
Hi new member here. I had my recall done recently 2 days later there's loud knocking and my trucks been back in the shop for the last 2 weeks finally told this week that theres damage to piston no.2. I assumer this is from a screw/washer being ingested into the engine and pounder into the piston. So far no idea when I will get my truck back it has 25000km on it and is only 11months used. I'll be pushing for a buy back. Anyone had any success with this? Or has anyone had this issue?

·
Super Moderator
488 Posts
First, welcome and hopefully you are made whole once this thing is done. Of course there are two paths for you going forward. One is a new engine and the other is a buy back. I have no idea how a buy back works in Canada and in the US there are 50 various state lemon laws that affect how it proceeds. I went through this with my first 2018 Powerstroke, a beautiful bluejean Lariat. To be honest it was a long and nervewracking journey and you can read about it here.

I went through the BBB arbitration procedure and that part was fine. Others have used lawyers. Keep us informed of your progress as it will be invaluable to others who may be in a similar situation in the future.

·
Administrator
744 Posts
Hi I'm currently going through this issue. 2019 F150 lariat. Went in for EGR replacement 2 days later truck starts knocking loudly. Been at the dealership for 2 weeks and they can finally tell me there is damage to one of the pistons. Obviously this was caused by the EGR screw being pounded into it. I live Canada and am wondering is anyone else with this issue up here was able to get their truck bought back it only has 25000km on it and I want nothing to do with a rebuild any info would help
Hi new member here. I had my recall done recently 2 days later there's loud knocking and my trucks been back in the shop for the last 2 weeks finally told this week that there is damage to piston no.2. I assumer this is from a screw/washer being ingested into the engine and pounder into the piston. So far no idea when I will get my truck back it has 25000km on it and is only 11months used. I'll be pushing for a buy-back. Anyone had any success with this? Or has anyone had this issue?
@Canadiandan - first off, let me welcome you here to the forums! Although I wish your first posts would have been on a more pleasant topic, rest assured you have found the best resource on the internets for this issue.

I included both of your posts (from both 18E02 and 20E04 threads) here, as they contain different info that I feel is necessary to gather in order to determine if your issue is covered by the existing recalls or perhaps something new.

I have a few questions I'd like to ask for my clarification:
  1. What model year/trim is your truck? Answer: 2019 Lariat
    • You mentioned owning yours for 11 months, so could be 2018/2019/2020 model year
    • This will help us determine if your truck was affected by FSA 18E02, FSA 20E04, or both
  2. Did you buy new/left-over or did you buy used?
    • If new, do you have the window sticker with Date of Manufacture?
    • If used, how many miles/km did it have when you bought used?
  3. How did you find out about either 18E02 or 20E04 recalls?
    • Were you experiencing engine noises?
    • Did you get a CEL (Check Engine Light) or did you truck throw and OBD codes?
    • Did you get an alert in your FordPass app?
    • Did you get a 20E04 recall letter from Ford?
  4. Was your truck exhibiting any issues before the 20E04 recall work was performed?
    • You explain that the loud knocking started 2 days after the recall work was performed
  5. When they performed 20E04, did they find missing screw(s) holding the EGR By-Pass valve?
  6. What is the exact part # from the RO (Repair Order) for EGR By-Pass Valve assembly?
    • Specifically what is the last letter/suffix for the EGR By-Pass Valve assembly?
While all of these questions might seem like water-over-the-bridge for you right now, I'm trying to determine f your truck falls into the window for 20E04: 2018 and 2019 Model Years built between September 13, 2017 and October 5, 2019.

In terms of what your options are, I attempted to document these in the START HERE: Any owners affected by FSA 18E02 (EGR By-pass valve replacement) thread, that I will repeat here:

What are your possible actions/outcomes?
  1. Rebuilt Engine: Expect Ford to attempt a "short block" engine rebuild as their first offer
    a.) Expect to be out-of-service for more than 6 weeks
    b.) Expect the dealership to stick you in a loaner vehicle during your down-time, but don't expect a F150 (could car or SUV) or a F150 of equal trim level (could be F150 XL)
    c.) See photos of possible carnage in Post #242 by @[email protected] dated 03/26/19
  2. New "crate" Engine: Challenge your dealer on Ford's new Low-Time-In-Service Assembly Replacement Policy (Discussed in Post #154 by @jmperlik dated 03/12/19)
    a.) Effective with Repair Orders (ROs) opened on or after 03/01/19
    b.) Vehicles within 12 months/12k miles from the warranty start date requiring an engine or transmission repair may be eligible for a replacement assembly
  3. New vehicle: Exercise your rights under your state's New Car Lemon Law (Discussed in Post #251 by @jmperlik dated 3/27/19)
    a.) Most states have incorporated the following criteria into their New Vehicle Lemon Laws:
    i.) number of visits or
    ii.) number of "down" or "out-of-service" days
    within a mileage limit or within the first 12-18 months of taking delivery of your new vehicle.
    b.) Your state's New Vehicle Lemon Law may vary, so check your state Attorney General's website for details
Canadian consumers don't seem to have the same rights that most US state "Lemon Laws" afford US consumers, so I will defer to any Canadian members who may have gone thru this. If Canada has any protections based on the number of down/out-of-service days, it is a pretty safe assumption that Ford will exceed this limit while a.) Waiting for all the necessary parts do an engine rebuild and/or b.) actually performing the engine rebuild itself -- this is the long/round-about way to force Ford into a buyback, but might be your only recourse.

If you don't want a rebuild, then you need to push for #2 or #3. Your situation might qualify you for Low-Time-In-Service Assembly Replacement Policy (#2) as long as your initial RO is within 12 months of warranty start date, so I'd challenge them on this policy using this exact term (which will force your Service Manager to research this Ford policy)

Good luck in dealing with this issue still impacting owners. Please respond with answers to my questions and with anything/everything your dealer puts you thru, as this helps other owners understand the process Ford is using to handle this nagging potential ownership issue.

·
Registered
2019 F150 PS Lariat
8 Posts
My truck was built april 16 2019 I'm not sure about the previous recall but ill be finding out tomorrow. The second recall popped up on my ford pass app and I had it done a week later less then 200 km later its started knocking loudly but no codes. Bought it new. Can't seem to find any info about Low-Time-In-Service Assembly Replacement Policy. I will get back to you with the ro.

·
Administrator
744 Posts
@Canadiandan - First recall (FSA 18E02) affected trucks made between 09/13/17 thru 10/09/18, so you missed the first time around on the EGR By-Pass valve merry-go-round, but FSA 20E04 (09/13/17 thru 10/05/19) pulled you in.

Sounds like you handled 20E04 in a timely fashion (within a week) so I don't think Ford can place any blame on you for not bringing it in sooner.

You can find some info on Ford's Low-Time-In-Service Assembly Replacement Policy discussed in Post #154 by @jmperlik dated 03/12/19 in the original START HERE: Any owners affected by FSA 18E02 (EGR By-pass valve replacement) thread.

·
Registered
2019 F150 PS Lariat
8 Posts
@Canadiandan - First recall (FSA 18E02) affected trucks made between 09/13/17 thru 10/09/18, so you missed the first time around on the EGR By-Pass valve merry-go-round, but FSA 20E04 (09/13/17 thru 10/05/19) pulled you in.

Sounds like you handled 20E04 in a timely fashion (within a week) so I don't think Ford can place any blame on you for not bringing it in sooner.

You can find some info on Ford's Low-Time-In-Service Assembly Replacement Policy discussed in Post #154 by @jmperlik dated 03/12/19 in the original START HERE: Any owners affected by FSA 18E02 (EGR By-pass valve replacement) thread.
That's great thanks for the info here is a copy of my ro

·
Administrator
744 Posts
@Canadiandan - Thanks for attaching your RO (Repair Order)

RO shows the correct part number (# JL3Z-9U433-B) for the new/improved EGR By-Pass Assembly.

Your technician (Tanner) documented in the notes that he inspected the removed part and

IT IS ALL OK

So what doesn't make sense (and we need you to confirm) is:
  1. You had no engine knocks issue prior to 20E04
  2. You brought your truck in promptly (< 1 week) for 20E04 when notified via FordPass app
  3. Your technician noted there were no missing parts in EGR By-Pass Valve Assembly they removed
  4. Your technician replaced your EGR By-Pass Valve Assembly w/correct part (Part #JL3Z-9U433-B)
  5. Less than 2 days later, your truck develops a severe engine knock with no codes
  6. After 2 weeks at the dealership for diagnosis, you're informed #2 cylinder is trashed
Based on the facts spelled out this way, the only explanation is that replacement part # JL3Z-9U433-B they installed suffered from the original issue with the screws holding the flapper valve backing out and getting ingested into the engine; i.e. the new part caused your engine issues. This doesn't make any sense to me, but at this point, I guess anything can happen = this is why we advise owners to get pictures of the old EGR By-pass valve assembly showing both screws intact to ensure that Ford and their techs are being honest.

I don't think you can be held responsible or blamed for anything based on the facts spelled out in order above, as you did what you were supposed to do and your truck is still covered under the 3yr/36K Bumper-to-Bumper warranty. I'd push for the new "crate" engine (Option #2) or Buy-back/Trade-in (Option #3) since Ford caused this issue.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2019 F150 PS Lariat
8 Posts
Thanks everyone also as a side note right before the truck went in I factory ordered a f350 and had planned to trade this truck in anyways but now I'll be pushing for a buyback.

221 - 240 of 297 Posts