Diesel F150 Forum banner

241 - 260 of 274 Posts

·
Super Moderator
473 Posts
Well, I finally got my recall letter today so I called the dealer I bought the truck from and got a real strange answer on scheduling. First she went and talked with the diesel tech who said he had done a few. She said they would need the truck for up to 4 weeks as this is a very difficult job. I asked how she came up with 4 weeks. The tech had told her he wanted to get it in before he ordered parts, then he would put it in a first come first serve category and would get to it when he could.

He also told her he had decided to do these by pulling the cab and she pointed out that takes 20 hours alone. Yes, I know it doesn't. I asked her if she was aware Ford didn't allow that much compensation for this recall, and she said the dealership was willing to absorb the extra cost. Yeah, right. What I think I was being told is they don't want to do it. She also said a loaner is not available. I can't use the dealer here in town because they screwed up my first F150. Not too sure just what I will do but not going to worry about it until next week.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Well, I finally got my recall letter today so I called the dealer I bought the truck from and got a real strange answer on scheduling. First she went and talked with the diesel tech who said he had done a few. She said they would need the truck for up to 4 weeks as this is a very difficult job. I asked how she came up with 4 weeks. The tech had told her he wanted to get it in before he ordered parts, then he would put it in a first come first serve category and would get to it when he could.

He also told her he had decided to do these by pulling the cab and she pointed out that takes 20 hours alone. Yes, I know it doesn't. I asked her if she was aware Ford didn't allow that much compensation for this recall, and she said the dealership was willing to absorb the extra cost. Yeah, right. What I think I was being told is they don't want to do it. She also said a loaner is not available. I can't use the dealer here in town because they screwed up my first F150. Not too sure just what I will do but not going to worry about it until next week.
Wow, that is an incredible story she gave you. I would be talking to another dealer if it were me.

·
Registered
2019 F150 PS Lariat
8 Posts
I have an update from Canada. My truck has been in since 3/21. The cab is off and there is damage to the cylinder head and walls from the egr screw. For has offered me a short block rebuild as expected I've made it clear to the service department that I won't accept anything less then a new crate engine as my truck is 10 months old. They said they will get back to me in a few days.

·
Administrator
732 Posts

Maybe you should tell the scheduler to look at the calendar again, because April Fools Day isn't for another couple weeks?

I have no idea how they came up with this story and there's no way any dealership will tie up a diesel tech and a service bay for 24 hours for what Ford says should take 4 hours. I agree with you that must be a tactic showing-their-hand that they really don't want to perform the recall, but they are a Ford dealer and are required by Ford and the government to perform the recall.

If it wasn't a $70K vehicle and this dealership being full of ****, I'd be tempted to call their bluff with: "Great, when can I drop my vehicle off?" response. My guess is they would fold and come up with another excuse not to do the work, where you could then take the issue up with your Ford Regional Manager = this is something they could lose their dealership "shingle" over.

Given these tactics and lore, I wouldn't trust them as-far-as-you-can-throw-them and (sigh) you should look for another dealer to perform the 20E04 recall work. Where dealership did you find/buy Ruby from? Are they an option?

Thanks for posting that you finally got your 20E04 Owner recall letter, contrary to the 20E04 Dealer letter than said these would go out in mid January 2021 = either USPS delivery has truly turned into "snail mail" or Ford missed their date indicated in the 20E04 Dealer letter. @Bardolphus - looks like you should be getting your 20E04 Owner letter soon!

Reactions: JIM and Bardolphus

·
Super Moderator
473 Posts
That was the dealership I bought Ruby from. I have another dealer 25 miles away I have used, I will check with them Monday. Forcing someone to do a job they don't want to do isn't a recipe for success.

I will see if I can post the letter.

Reactions: jmperlik

·
Super Moderator
473 Posts
I just noticed the letter says "one-half day". I wonder how often that happens?

Attachments

·
Administrator
732 Posts
I also like the first paragraph in the "What should you do?" section:
Please call your dealer without delay to request a service appointment for Emission Recall 20E04. Provide the dealer with your VIN number, which is printed near your name at the beginning of this letter.
which refutes some dealership's BS requirement for you to come in separately for them to "scan" the VIN number off the door jamb sticker in order for them to schedule the service appointment for Emission Recall 20E04...

I really don't understand these stall/delay tactics that some dealerships are using, as the 20E04 Owner letter is very clear about what to do and the urgency ("without delay") yet some dealerships proceed with blowing-smoke-up-your-a$$...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just had my recall done at the local Ford Dealer. I had an 9am appointment on Thursday and it took quite awhile to have the work done. I picked it up at 5:00pm on Friday. I did speak with the Mechanic who said it was his first Recall repair on the Ford Diesel. I had no issues with the after service repair..... so far. I thought they did a fine job.

Honest John

·
Registered
30 Posts
The whole idea of pulling the cab off don't make sense to me at all. If you pulled the inner wheel well out of the drivers fender it would give you almost the same access as pulling the cab. In the past i have added a few stripped or seezed bolts to a service order to get extra time from warranty but that takes the cake. :oops:

Reactions: Dunrollin

·
Registered
2018 Ford F-150 Powerstroke diesel King Ranch
78 Posts
I'll try to keep a long story short. I purchased my 2018 F-150 King Ranch in August 2018 after I returned from an assignment to Russia. I have had each of the recalls done and a couple of failures that were repaired for free as there were technical service bulletins out on them (massaging seats, moon roof). I received the notice for the 20E04 EGR recall a long time ago, contacted the dealer, was informed they would order the part. Nothing happened. After several months I called again, the good service manager said he would open a ticket to get the part faster. Then silence for a couple more months. Called last week, was told "oh, someone was supposed to have called you" but they accepted the truck right away on the next Monday. Dropped the truck off at 0800 and picked it back up at about 1630. Found the EGR and it looks like a good, competent install. The good service manager kept the old part for me and it was intact, and smaller than I had expected from earlier photos. The whole thing is about 3x4 inches, and the flapper valve is about 1x1.5 inches. Here are photos of the old part. King Ranch now has 43,000 miles on it, everything is working perfectly and I love it. I will run this truck to the end, as it does everything I want it to.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
473 Posts
Welcome back to this side of the pond! That is a good story, and a reminder it is up to us to keep their feet to the fire. A few years ago customer service was a little better in my opinion but with all the covid disruption it is easy to fall between the cracks.

Great photos, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
473 Posts
I found a short video some mechanic did about the egr recall work. Wish he had done a longer one but it is interesting to see how much space they have to work on it with the front wheel and fender liner removed.

·
Registered
2019 F150 PS Lariat
8 Posts
Another update. Ford has now offered a long block replacement and extending my warranty they haven't said how long yet but I would assume the extra 25000km that I've driven it. So we are going to take the new long block and hopefully get our truck back in 2 more weeks.

·
Super Moderator
473 Posts
Excellent news- you are a good negotiator. Hoping the two week estimate is spot on if not earlier. Please update as this progresses.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I finally have my recall scheduled! I am taking it back to the dealer where my brother originally purchased it in western Kansas. I am also getting an oil change and having the fuel filters replaced. The pickup will roll 28k on the trip back there. Hopefully all goes smoothly!

·
Super Moderator
473 Posts
Let us know how smooth (hopefully) the process goes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I dropped my pickup off yesterday at 8am and the dealer called at 5pm to say everything was done! EGR recall, computer reprogram, fuel filters, & oil change. They said it went really well. Hoping to get a tiny bit of my mpg's back since the level and big tires (if not oh well). Glad to have that issue behind me (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Had my recall done in late 2020. The last few days had a coolant leak. Finally found where it was, EGR coolant line. Took it in to the dealer (I’m planning on driving it 900 miles to Destin in a few days). Didn’t hear anything yesterday and today so I call. It’s an item that’s NOT stocked by Ford and it was caused by the recall. Could be a week or month. They don’t know... It’s a special order item. Lovely. It appears to be stopped for now. I think I broke it lose by having it on my lift for quite a while when I was checking/filling my transmission. Thinking about dislodging my radiator cap so it won’t pressurize to decrease chance of leaking. Irritated.

241 - 260 of 274 Posts