Diesel F150 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings all!

This is my first vehicle with an electric park brake. Recently, I had the misfortune to have the brake light come on in my 2004 Honda Civic. Upon first application of the service brake I had rear brakes only. On the second application, I had none. Even though I was on the Turnpike traveling around 10 over the speed limit, this was not too hairy as I still had the e/parking brake. With this alternate system and proper social distancing and anticipation of traffic, I limped the car home. We can discuss the ethics of this in another thread if necessary, please.
My question is has anyone else considered the implications of an electric park brake in this situation? What happens when the brake is applied while at some speed? My speculation is that as the brake holds rather firmly as a park brake, I expect that it will engage with just as much force locking up the rear end and possibly putting the unfortunate soul in a precarious position. Thoughts?

·
Administrator
529 Posts
@PercheNoir - good question! With everything incorporated into the computer these days, I wonder if there is some form of computer-controlled interlock to preclude the eParkingBrake from engaging if the 1.) Engine is running, 2.) Transmission is in drive, and 3.) Vehicle is traveling more than 10 MPH?

Attached screen capture from F150 brochure seems to indicates the eParkingBrake only engages when transmission is put in Park and you put your foot on the brake pedal:

Unclear to me if your MacGyver back-up brake solution would actually work...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
i can confirm if you are traveling and hit the switch it will engage the electric parking brake. I only did it once at about 5 mph and it came to a stop just as if I hit the brake pedal. Yeah, I was curious.

A few years ago I MacGyvered my 13,000 pound deuce and a half home about 5 miles. I am pretty sure it won't work with these brakes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
".....and it came to a stop just as if I hit the brake pedal."

Like ya stomped it or like you pressed it?

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
It wasn't panic stop, just stopped. Somewhat between panic and normal. Try it sometime, it ain't too scary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts