Diesel F150 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck is currently at the dealer being looked at for a rattle from the engine that last 2-3 seconds at startup after the truck has sat for a couple hours or more. Sound is like shaking a can full of marbles (very similar sound to my 5.4 that had bad timing chains and tensioners). Anyone hear of anything like this on the 3.0?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Truck is currently at the dealer being looked at for a rattle from the engine that last 2-3 seconds at startup after the truck has sat for a couple hours or more. Sound is like shaking a can full of marbles (very similar sound to my 5.4 that had bad timing chains and tensioners). Anyone hear of anything like this on the 3.0?
Mine gives a bit of a rattle at startup, especially when its hot and the engine has sat for a bit. I think all this is is the lifters making a bit of noise until the oil pressure is high enough to pressure them up fully. like you said only lasts a second or two. There is no timing chain on these, however there is a chain that runs between the cams that uses a hydraulic tensioner, so it could be this as well until oil pressure is up. I don't think it's anything to worry about, however let me know what your mechanic says, or if they do anything about it. With these being pretty rare, trouble is that there are no comparable units for mechanics to test out to see if it's normal. The last thing i'd want is someone tearing into my engine to try and fix something that's normal.

·
Super Moderator
559 Posts
I just got back from a 2 week trip and went out to start my truck this morning. I opened the hood and had my wife start it and there was a definite rattle for about 3 seconds then it smoothed out. Of interest is that it was quiet enough I didn't hear it until I played back the video I was recording. This was after a 14 day shutdown.

It isn't something I would be concerned about on this truck.

Reactions: Dijit
1 - 3 of 3 Posts