Diesel F150 Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
I would push back on exactly why the repair would not be covered by your engine or your extended warranty (assuming you are still within the warranty period(s). If those don't cover it, wouldn't the dealer step up since the part failure appeared to have been cause as a result of their oil change?

I inspected my oil stopper last week during an oil change (13th change for my engine) and it still looked to be in new condition. One thing I discovered that I have been doing incorrectly; however, was the sequence of filter removal. According to Mahle (video embedded in web link below), I should be removing the filter cartridge first, then drain the sump.

· Registered
147 Posts
beaker: Thanks for sharing the link to the video.
A point was made in the video that was a bit of a "duh" for me . . . unscrewing the plastic filter enclosure is intended to retract the filter, opening the drain valve, permitting the filter housing to drain the oil.
For that to happen, the filter has to have a tighter friction fit in the plastic housing that it does on the aluminum post on the top of the engine.

· Registered
8 Posts
Well, the wait is over. Just used my last oil change coupon that came with the truck and insisted a diesel mechanic change the oil. I even provided them a copy the proper install procedures. The mechanic knew exactly what I was talking about and provided me the TSB for this issue (see attachment). Apparently the "nub " is available, per the TSB. cheers!
TO

Attachments

· Super Moderator
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Excellent work, @mrjake

I printed it out, the part number is ml3z-6a606-a and it seems to be available at about $12. They set a flat rate of 0.3 hours to inspect and change the drain valve and add new oil. Easy. I hope we can get the part, and that it is not on a world wide back order.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts