Diesel F150 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 XLT Crewcab 3.0 PS 6.5 bed
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not new to the new generation of F150's having owned 3 but this is my first diesel powered vehicle ever. I only drive my newer truck under 10K miles a year but 40% of that is towing between 3K and 7K pounds. My '17 5.0 was always in the sub 10 mpg range when towing and 17 mpg empty so I took the plunge and traded for a '20 XLT Crewcab with the 6.5' bed. There is a station near me that does a high volume in diesel and the difference between corn gas and diesel is usually around 20 cents. State fuel tax in MO is only $0.1742/gal so with the increased mileage I'm ahead of the fuel cost curve.

I've done my standard "mods", mud flaps, tailgate protector, bed mat, crossover toolbox and rear fenderwell liners. I did have a level kit on my '17 but it decreased the mileage a good bit so likely won't but one one the new truck. The only other thing was to disable the auto start stop.

My background is an aircraft mechanic/flight engineer in the Navy for 21 years the another 20 as a bio-medical engineering tech. Plan on doing as much of the routine maintenance as possible myself. The reason that I put so few miles on a new truck is that my daily driver is a '62 F100 Flairside that is my go to as long as the roads are dry.

·
Super Moderator
577 Posts
Welcome, Chief, great to read your bio. With your background I am betting the only limiting factor you will have on doing your own stuff will be your hands won't fit where you need them. (No human hands fit in these things!).

I would include the 150,000 mile belt changes as routine maintenance but looking in the engine bay I have no idea how you get there without lifting the body up, which is what they do on a long list of repairs. A good Ford garage can lift the cab up in 1-2 hours.

Post up a photo of your F100, sounds like an awesome truck!

·
Registered
2020 XLT Crewcab 3.0 PS 6.5 bed
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome, Chief, great to read your bio. With your background I am betting the only limiting factor you will have on doing your own stuff will be your hands won't fit where you need them. (No human hands fit in these things!).

Post up a photo of your F100, sounds like an awesome truck!
Not much different than working on an aircraft engine. Pix of the daily driver attached.

·
Administrator
842 Posts
@chiefdave - welcome aboard to our little forums here.

That has to be the cleanest, nearly 60-year-old daily driver I have ever seen = Sweet ride!

Congrats on the F150 Diesel purchase & please share your towing and ownership experiences with us!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sweet truck! My dad had a black 63 Galaxy 500 with the 240 cid straight six, when I was a kid. Nice motors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts