Diesel F150 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They said it only got in the tank and they did not start it up ut I do not believe since sales lady said they are taking the truck now to get a full tank of fuel. After we got done with all the paperwork we were inform they screwed up and put gas in it. My question is would you still buy it. They said they will drop the tank and drain clean all lines and filter. I'm torn on what to do. Also this is a CPO truck.

·
Super Moderator
715 Posts
Bama, welcome to the forum. When I bought my 2018 Bluejean F150 the salesman invited me to accompany him to fill it up for me. Guess which pump he pulled up to. I mentioned he was close to making a big mistake.

The big question is if they ran it with a gasoline mix. A little gasoline for a short ride versus a 3 to 1 mix of gasoline/diesel for a few minutes. We had a member who had a big problem with the dealer adding def to the fuel but I can't remember gasoline. The harm will be to the high pressure fuel pump, if any.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They say it was only a little from a gas can at the service bay. They were putting a gallon in to make it to the gas station. They also say it was not started I just don't know if I believe them. How would I know if they damaged the fuel system or even the motor or injectors etc

·
Registered
93 Posts
How did they insert that into that spring loaded receiver? I’ve had issues with any pump that isn’t the exact size. I’ve even had to try to find other pumps while on fumes cause couldn’t get it to go. I have to carry around a perfect sized funnel to get any additives in.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thinking about the situation a bit . . . sharing my understanding of diesel fueled vehicles . . . it seems there's two likely scenarios:
1. The misfueling was noticed during the process of adding gasoline, via the gas can to the diesel fuel tank, and the truck had not run at all with gasoline in the fuel tank.
2. The misfueling was noticed while driving the truck to the station to fill the tank with fuel because the truck ran rough or stopped running.

IF it's scenario #1, then dropping the fuel tank, draining it completely, and refilling with diesel fuel would be required. Also, changing the fuel filters and flushing the fuel lines would be prudent.
IF it's scenario #2, then explicit instructions from Ford would be a good idea for resolving the misfueling. Seems likely the resolution would, in addition to replacing fuel filters and flushing lines, be replacing the high-pressure fuel pump, the injectors, and perhaps the high pressure fuel lines. And, with this scenario, there may be diagnostic instructions in an effort to see if the engine was damaged. Perhaps a compression check of all cylinders would be appropriate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the information, I have already informed the Ford dealership that they will provide me the work order with a list of all the items that were worked on or replaced plus the management will sign off that the engine was never running or started with the gas in the tank. I will also test drive with the mechanic that did the repairs before I take delivery of the truck. If it was easy to find this truck with the powerstroke I would refuse the truck and find another.

·
Registered
79 Posts
100% agree that under most circumstances you would find another example. Keep in mind that Ford (or any CPO warranty) would deny a HPFP warranty claim because it was misfueled. If I took the vehicle, I would aim for a written warranty on the fuel system; ideally 36,000 miles or better. A fuel pump failure 10,000 miles from now has plausible deniability all over it once the sale is complete.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Get everything documented and acknowledged in writing. I'd have the service manager and/or general manager ride along with you for the test ride.

Personally for me, living near New Jersey (with their requirement that the pump attendant pump your gas/diesel for you), you can't be too careful. I put these inside the fuel door of my truck, and I always make sure to tell them diesel fuel and watch the process.

3M Reflective 'DIESEL ONLY' Fuel Decals | Stickers | Truck Labels | Green Vinyl Markers (12 of Each Stickers ) (Diesel Fuel)
https://a.co/d/djnXyLd

·
Registered
79 Posts
Bama, I'm a little late on this discussion, but here's my 2 cents. I'd give them a lot of credit for telling you that they put gas in it. If they wanted to hide something, they wouldn't have told you in the first place. Make sure that is recorded in OASIS as well as your sales documents. Otherwise, drive on!

How many miles are on it? In addition to the CPO warranty, the diesel engine has a 100,000 mile warranty, so unless it's a really high-mile truck, it will be under that warranty too.

FYI, I regularly get 30MPG if I hold it to 70MPH, on relatively level terrain. It goes down a few MPG in mountains.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts