Diesel F150 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember way back on top Gear when the trio put a Toyota Hilux through a series of tests, building demolition, trial by fire, salt water and more? This is kind of similar, a 12th generation Ford F-150 (2009 – 2014) survived a collapsing building, fire and the firefighters vigorously hosing down the fire and the truck with it.

Even with the passenger side of the bed missing and a mangled cab, the owner manged to drive the F-150 out of the rubble. The F-150 lives up to it's "built tough" motto. Here's the video of it: https://www.facebook.com/4wheelonline/videos/10153943547949644/

·
Registered
308 Posts
This is another reason why I prefer seeing what vehicles go through in real situations outside of a car makers control with the results they generate for you, since it can be said those are all created in favor to the brands marketing efforts. Stuff like this expose the good or bad, this F truck did very well. Ford tough.

·
Registered
287 Posts
That would be something great to strip down after and make a baja truck out of come to think of it... or a drag truck.. that would be cool.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The Grand Tour needs to get on this! since they don't have their old Toyota truck anymore for their studio, it's time to get a new wrecked one.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've actually recently seen a photo of one of the new F150s and it was just shredded down the side.. trying to see if I can find it.. quite brutal

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think with just about any vehicle if you look hard enough you can find photos/videos showing some concerning levels of damage. For the most part the F150 will be safe enough and it's just not a product people find easy to gravitate away from, there's a big attachment to it for various reasons.

·
Registered
287 Posts
That's true as well.. no matter how strong the vehicle, with enough searching you'll be able to find something that managed to mangle it completely

·
Registered
162 Posts
that's the case for all vehicles but some can withstand more than others and that's the F-150. I'm really hoping the trio does a test like that again.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just found another test of how tough Ford trucks are. It may not be the f150 but I'd be happy if the diesel f150 is half as strong as the super duty frame. That frame at the very top is supporting around 60,300+ LBS and it still hasn't bent.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I doubt Ford will switch over from an aluminum alloy body to an almost full steel one. The additional weight because of the steel would decrease the diesel's fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
287 Posts
There's no way they would go to a steel body. They've been pushing the aluminum thing for so long it's become their "thing". To go back would be literally, stepping backwards instead of forwards

·
Registered
162 Posts
guess only the super duty is going to have a steel frame but maybe Ford will come out with a super sturdy aluminum frame in the future.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I doubt Ford will switch over from an aluminum alloy body to an almost full steel one. The additional weight because of the steel would decrease the diesel's fuel efficiency.
Add to that this whole MPG war going on between brands along with what's happening on a government level and there's no turning back.

Plus it makes sense with the demographic they're after.

Anyone with serious uses for a truck, hauling, towing heavy loads, etc. might be better off with a 250.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A F150 should be more than enough for what most pickup truck owners will use it for and the few guys who really uses it for work that requires hauling around cement blocks can get something like the super duty instead.

·
Registered
162 Posts
A frame that strong really isn't necessary unless the truck jumped over a huge hill, then the steel frame will help prevent the pickup from getting distorted. Most people won't put that much pressure on the truck on the first place.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Odd that they would be promoting the super duty's steel frame since they're so gung ho about aluminum. Think they'll try a similar test with the F150 frame?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts