·
Administrator
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2018 F150 Lariat 502a with 3.0 Diesel
10 Posts
It’s legal because they can choose not to sell a Lightning to you and are stipulating on you signing a legally binding contract to not sell. They aren’t forcing you to sign it and simply choose not to do business with you if you don’t.

And while that’s why it’s legal and enforceable, it’s complete crap.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Wow! Ford is going to extremes to prevent dealers/owners from flipping the new all electric F150 Lightnings for a profit.

Ford Is Forbidding Customers From Doing Something Highly Unexpected. Here's Why It's a Very Smart Move | Inc.com

How can this even be legal if you buy the vehicle outright with cash? I assume they can do this for anyone using Ford Financing, but find it hard to believe they could make this stick for cash sales or anyone using private financing.

Thoughts?
Good. This was a big problem in canada. dealers/customers would buy trucks straight off the lot, and then sell them back to the US for profit. Made finding a vehicle in canada very difficult, basically a scam that does nothing but drive prices up for everyone.

·
Super Moderator
715 Posts
Ford is stumbling along. Hope they get their act together someday. About a month ago I decided to replace my 2013 F150 with a Maverick pick up. These are based on the Escape chassis and the hybrid models are bullet proof. What is not to love about 40 mpg in the city? They originally offered them to the public at less than $20,000 new. Ford hit it out of the park with these. They are also flat towable behind RVs.

They are unobtainable though. Dealers have almost none and charge $2,000 to $5,000 above MSRP if they can get one. Guys that ordered them last summer are still waiting. Meanwhile Ford is contacting those who did order last summer asking them to redo their orders leaving off certain expensive options like spray in bedliner, electronics packages and such. The window for new orders has been closed since last fall and won't reopen till this fall. Maybe.

Sounds like I am keeping my 2013. No problem, it is a great truck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Almost all the automakers are stumbling due to component shortages, as we are all aware, not just Ford.

As for the prohibition on reselling, as blk150tx pointed out, it’s part of the sales contract, and it is legal.

Ford started doing this with the New Ford GT 5 years ago. Ford wanted to maximize putting those cars in the hands of enthusiasts and high-profile celebrities and social media influencers who would drive them and show them off, not people looking to flip them for a quick buck, or shills for collectors who wouldn’t drive them, or “stupid money.” If Ford only wanted to sell them at a higher profit, they easily could have done so, as the number of applicants to buy one (including me), outnumbered the number of cars they planned to produce by 6:1. I also will observe that the prices for lightly used New GTs goes into or above the $1M range, instead of the original $500-600K range. Ford also didn’t want the dealers to subvert their marketing objectives by tacking enormous markups on the cars and selling to flippers, shills, etc. So they did not sell the cars through the dealers. You had to apply directly to Ford to get an allocation.

Several idiots found out the hard way that the contracts are legal. Famously, John Cena sold his car long before the 2 year limit had elapsed through an auction. Ford forced Cena to give the price he got for his car to a charity in Michigan that the Ford family supports. So he lost both his car and the sale proceeds. Ford also warned the auction house that conducted the illegal sale not to interfere with Ford’s contract, and afterwards, they also got forced to make a “donation.”

So yeah, it’s legal.

I also have to somewhat admire Ford for not gouging their customers for as much increase in MSRP or ADM as the market will bear. They are trying to maintain good customer relations during difficult, and hopefully temporary, market conditions. And to also recognize GM, they too have warned their dealers about adding excessive markups to new vehicles, or GM will reduce future allocations to those offending dealers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Au contraire. Ford and GM do have a problem with dealers who add large “market adjustments” or whatever they want to call them (I don’t now about the other manufacturers). That’s why they have threatened dealers with reduced allocations of high demand models. The Wall Street Journal did a long article on this issue a couple months ago.

But dealers are independent businesses too, so there’s a limit to how much coercion the manufacturers can apply.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Au contraire. Ford and GM do have a problem with dealers who add large “market adjustments” or whatever they want to call them (I don’t now about the other manufacturers). That’s why they have threatened dealers with reduced allocations of high demand models. The Wall Street Journal did a long article on this issue a couple months ago.

But dealers are independent businesses too, so there’s a limit to how much coercion the manufacturers can apply.
Well I didn't read the article you are referencing but I see no evidence that the local dealers are being coerced by Ford as the prices are still 20-30K above MSRP. I guess my point of irritation is that Ford will make Lightning owners beholden to a contract not to sell for profiteering or to potentially "hurting" the Brand/Model but they really are not reigning in their dealers on all the other vehicles currently on Dealers lots the overwhelming majority of which are NOT Lightnings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts