Diesel F150 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its been a year since I started to use:
  • Stanadyne Performance Formula - 1/2 Gallon Bottle - Treats 250gal of diesel fuel per bottle
  • Stanadyne Performance Formula - 1/2 Gallon Bottle - Treats 250gal of diesel fuel per bottle
These ½ gal. bottles lasted me a full year. I do use a funnel and cup to measure, & I put 4 oz of each into every fuel fill up, my tank is 40 gallons and I rarely go down to 1/4 tank of fuel left.

I pick up the Stanadyne products from diesel_since1954 on ebay with free shipping . That was the best price I could find. What I would like to know if I am still using the proper amount of additives, and if I need to make an adjustment to my fuel additives.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think you're under dosing. If 64 oz treats 250 gallons, and your tank is 40 gallons, that means you would need 10.25 oz per tank to treat at the recommended ratio. in my standard 26 gallon tank I add about 200ml, which is around 6.76 oz. So that's the initial dose, if you're only going down to 1/4 tank, then you'd want to add 7.68 oz, which is close to double what you're adding. So you may be diluting it too much for it to have any real effect.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have always used an additive in my Ram Ecodiesel. Just about to hit 100,000 miles! You have to rely on what the diesel supplier used, other wise. Lubricity of today's fuel isn't so great. I keep a bottle of Hot Shot's in a rear floor bin.

·
Administrator
693 Posts
Hi Paul - I think I helped you in calculating the current Stanadyne mix you are using...

Couple things we discussed in making these assumptions:
1. Stanadyne Lubricity Formula is a subset of what is in Stanadyne Performance Formula
a.) Lubricity Formula does not have anything to help with cold starts (which you don't need in SC)​
b.) Check attached brochure for a comparison between Performance & Lubricity Formulas​
2. Stanadyne Performance Formula didn't fair too well for Lubricity in the "Spicer Study"
3. Stanadyne states that you can mix any of their products = net of mixing these two formulas:
a.) ~3x increase in Lubricity over standard Performance Formula​
b.) 50% dilution of following (that are not present in Lubricity Formula)​
i.) Wax modifier - Pour Point Depressant​
ii.) Wax dispersant​
iii.) Freeze Depressant​

Based on all of the above, I add Lubricity Formula to boost the Lubricity in the Performance Formula

In terms of how we arrived at your current dosing recommendation, we based this on 25 gallon fill-ups:

Code:
  Stanadyne Performance Formula => 64 oz treats 250 gallons = 3.90 gal/oz.
  Stanadyne Lubricity   Formula => 64 oz treats 500 gallons = 1.95 gal/oz.

4 oz Stanadyne Performance Formula = Covers ~  16 gallons
4 oz Stanadyne Lubricity   Formula = Covers ~   8 gallons
                                              ===========
                                               24 gallons
My only question is the Treatment Ratio for the Stanadyne Lubricity Formula, as you don't mention how many gallons of fuel that the gallon of Stanadyne Lubricity Formula covers:
  • You listed what Performance Formula twice
  • Above dosing chart shows a Treatment Ratio that is twice of the Performance Formula
Let's do this: Report back with how many gallons of diesel fuel the gallon of Lubricity Formulas treats (from the label on your jug) and we can recalculate things if the 1:1000 Treatment Ratio from the chart above is not correct...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a similar question....

I'm using Hot Shots Secret EDT. Bottle says 2oz (Performance dose) treats 25 gallons. If I run my tank down to 1/2 tank, then I would just add 1oz of EDT to the tank when filling up all the way back to 26ish gallons, correct?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Aaron, double dosing with EDT won't hurt a thing. I've used it in my Ram Ecodiesel for almost 100,000 miles. I tend to run my truck down to 1/4 tank, though/

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Paul - I think I helped you in calculating the current Stanadyne mix you are using...

Couple things we discussed in making these assumptions:
1. Stanadyne Lubricity Formula is a subset of what is in Stanadyne Performance Formula
a.) Lubricity Formula does not have anything to help with cold starts (which you don't need in SC)​
b.) Check attached brochure for a comparison between Performance & Lubricity Formulas​
2. Stanadyne Performance Formula didn't fair too well for Lubricity in the "Spicer Study"
3. Stanadyne states that you can mix any of their products = net of mixing these two formulas:
a.) ~3x increase in Lubricity over standard Performance Formula​
b.) 50% dilution of following (that are not present in Lubricity Formula)​
i.) Wax modifier - Pour Point Depressant​
ii.) Wax dispersant​
iii.) Freeze Depressant​
View attachment 1915

Based on all of the above, I add Lubricity Formula to boost the Lubricity in the Performance Formula

In terms of how we arrived at your current dosing recommendation, we based this on 25 gallon fill-ups:

Code:
  Stanadyne Performance Formula => 64 oz treats 250 gallons = 3.90 gal/oz.
  Stanadyne Lubricity   Formula => 64 oz treats 500 gallons = 1.95 gal/oz.

4 oz Stanadyne Performance Formula = Covers ~  16 gallons
4 oz Stanadyne Lubricity   Formula = Covers ~   8 gallons
                                              ===========
                                               24 gallons
My only question is the Treatment Ratio for the Stanadyne Lubricity Formula, as you don't mention how many gallons of fuel that the gallon of Stanadyne Lubricity Formula covers:
  • You listed what Performance Formula twice
  • Above dosing chart shows a Treatment Ratio that is twice of the Performance Formula
Let's do this: Report back with how many gallons of diesel fuel the gallon of Lubricity Formulas treats (from the label on your jug) and we can recalculate things if the 1:1000 Treatment Ratio from the chart above is not correct...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts