Diesel F150 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, does someone know the Ford part number to the emergency fuel funnel supplied with our baby diesels? Ford makes like 4 funnels, all the same basic number, but different last letter. I know ours has to be the right diameter/size to open the filler neck flap. They are dirt cheap, $6, and I want one for my shop too. Thanks!

·
Administrator
842 Posts
Reactions: navyR113

·
Administrator
842 Posts
Sorry, when I pasted the link, I see now that it loses the Usage field:
=> This is the part # that comes up when I use 2018 Ford F150 3.0L V6 Lion Engine
=> This is the correct Ford Part # from parts.ford.com

Reactions: navyR113

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is what I'm looking for, but where do I get it? The part number on your photo is the generic number to all Ford makes, the last letter(s), that are not shown in the pic makes the difference. I tried earlier online Ford Parts and no description like your has.

·
Administrator
842 Posts
OK, I see what you are saying now. If I just search on 2018 F150 (all engines), I get four (4) hits:
=> The one above for our 3.0L V6 Lion Engine
=> Same part number (17B068) that covers all gasoline engines (when you expand the big "+" sign)
=> Same part number for all four (4) listings but two (2) different prices?

I'll be at my dealership for a few hours on Monday for my block heater install
=> I can have the Parts Manager look up if there are different Part #s if you can wait

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes very confusing, I click on all numbers and it says "does not fit your vehicle", but apparently one does! Thanks!

·
Administrator
842 Posts
You are correct about last letter being different according to Tasca website: www.tascaparts.com

If I stick my VIN into the Tasca website, it balks at the "B" and "K" versions but the "J" part (w/no description) is OK

I will verify on Monday with my dealership's Parts Manager, as it is clear just 17B068 is not enough and differences do exist (gas neck vs diesel neck on capless systems) between the 17B068 variants

·
Super Moderator
577 Posts
Not too much help here as mine seems to be double stamped at the end but what I see is 8U5A-17B068-BC so if you drop the "C" it is the first one above.

Reactions: mascrappo

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! From what I've found it may not be a plain "B", your "BC" does come up in web searches, but all overseas sellers. It's crazy, all this effort for a $5 funnel, dang capless filler.

·
Administrator
842 Posts
We'll get to the bottom of this eventually:
  • Just checked mine and it matches the pic @Dunrollin posted above; i.e. "BC" suffix
  • Talked to my Service Manager and he told me to have the Parts Department look up by VIN #
  • Called my dealership's Parts Department and had them order me one (1) by VIN #
  • Asked for Part # suffix but Parts person refused to give me part # as per their policy?
    • If there are 8-10 different suffixes, only way to find out definitively is to order one
    • I will verify length/diameter side-by-side with my existing one to ensure match
    • I'll post a pic of the part # label from the box/bag once I have it in-hand
= I'll have an answer when I pick up the new one on Monday while there for my Block Heater install

·
Administrator
842 Posts
@Dunrollin - since you have both a 2013 F150 (Gas) 5.0L XLT and a 2018 F150 Diesel 3.0L Platinum, you have both versions (gasoline and diesel) of this funnel. Can you take some side-by-side pics along with length and diameter measurements? I would guess everything is same except for part # suffix and diameter of the end that gets inserted into the capless system. If we know the suffix of the gas funnel, we can also use process of elimination for the version not to order; e.g. "B" and "K" based on gas engines listed under the Descriptions from Tasca website

·
Super Moderator
577 Posts
The exterior dimensions are identical for both funnels except the "nozzle" size. The diesel one is gray, gas is white. The diesel funnel output is 15/16" outer diameter, the gas is 13/16". As you can see the gas end can be placed inside the diesel one. I hear the gas one will not open the diesel port on our trucks (I would check that myself but my truck does not have the capless inlet any more). I did check and the diesel funnel will NOT go into the gas capless fill.

The number on my gas funnel is hard to read but it is 8U5A-17B068-AD. It also says For Portable Gas Containers Only and Keep With Vehicle. I hope this information helps.

·
Administrator
842 Posts
Thanks Doug = exactly what I was looking for and kinda what I was expecting...

I think the determining characteristcs are:
  • Gray plastic
  • Larger diameter nozzle
  • Big "D" within a circle (which I will guess stands for Diesel)
I will look for these on Monday, as I'm not convinced the dismissive parts guy at my dealer ordered the right part.

Not sure what Ford was thinking by using same part number with single/double lettered suffixes, none of which appear of parts.ford.com

·
Registered
52 Posts
Shortly after purchasing my 3.0 F150, I ran into the challenge of getting diesel fuel additives into the tank. The typical fuel additive retail bottle with the long narrow neck was not able to get past the blockage device inside the capless fuel filler device. I learned automotive diesel fuel nozzles are the same OD as the old leaded fuel filler nozzels (15/16") while unleaded fuel nozzles are smaller at 13/16". And, to reduce the likelihood of putting unleaded fuel in the diesel fuel tank, the diesel capless fuel filler device incorporates some kind of blockage device which is moved out of the way when a 15/16" diesel nozzle is inserted, but not moved out of the way when a 13/16" unleaded nozzle is attempted to be inserted.
Hence only funnels made for diesel vehicles work in our F150.
I picked up a funnel made for Audi diesels, which works nicely for fuel additives. That way I can keep the funnel packaged with the jack for emergency use.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys, I knew something about them was different, and also the VW Audi funnel works. Why does Ford make it so difficult to find? Have I mentioned I despise the capless filler? :unsure:

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Notice Made in Germany? No wonder I kept finding overseas sellers. Also last digit could be a J or BC as well?

·
Administrator
842 Posts
@mascrappo - Looks like you solved the mystery!

8U5Z-17B068-J is the gray one on the Tasca website (w/no Description) that was valid for my VIN

Ill let you know if I receive the BC/J version from my dealer on Monday.

Thanks to you and @Dunrollin for your contributions in figuring this out.

·
Administrator
842 Posts
Was interested in SN vs EN designations and found this informative article on Ford part numbering:

How to Decipher FoMoCo Part Numbers - Overview

Here is what I learned:
  • EN = Engineering Number (Part # cast/printed onto part; e.g. BC in our case)
  • SN = Service Number (Part # on the bag/box containing the part; e.g. J in our case)
  • 2-letter suffix = Ford ran out of single letter suffixes
so this explains the same FoMoCo part number for this funnel and this funnel has had dozens of part revisions if they are up to BC for the funnel for our trucks with the 3.0L V6 Diesel engine...

Bottom line: You need to order 8U5Z-17B068-J for the correct funnel for our trucks

I think we can put this one to bed!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts