Diesel F150 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen others have this same problem so here is where I am. The problem happened twice, I came to a stop and suddenly the oil pressure warning sounds. Now that gets my attention. I shifted into N and pushed the accelerator and away the light goes. Now, both times the truck was in regen. Other times it should have done it were when I was towing my 24 ft camper on hot days but it didn't, just these two regen times.

I may have to take it in but that will be a last resort option. I decided the sender switch may be weak, so I decided to replace it. When I got the new switch I found it was 1/4" MPT and it sits right on top of the engine in a somewhat easy place to work so I also decided to add a mechanical oil pressure gauge to see just how much it is pumping. Turns out it is 15 pounds at idle, hot and 20 after a fresh start.

Right now the new gauge is just sitting on the engine under the plastic cover. I may just take a 1/4" plug and close off the gauge feed, may just add the gauge to the cabin, maybe in the cubby area of the console. Not sure what to do yet but I think the warning light is just an an anomaly and not a real problem. The new switch may solve it, who knows?

I also thought of mounting a pressure gauge in the engine compartment on a brass "tree" of fittings but rejected that idea.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been having this issue for 10 months now. The first time the dealer could not recreate the problem, but I am taking it back in on Monday. I was planning on telling them to just change the sensor and see if that fixes it.

If I drive for 30 minutes on the highway, the first stop light after exiting will give me the warning about 90% of the time. One time I was in stop and go traffic on the highway and it beeped every time I stopped. I have not correlated these instances with regen times as you have noticed, so I will keep an eye on that as well.

·
Super Moderator
437 Posts
@Dunrollin - concerning that you are also now experiencing similar issues to @DL Brown in Loss of Oil Pressure at idle and @BriGuy above. Very interesting that you have associated yours occurring with active regens, though I am unsure how active regens would affect oil pressure (need to think about that)

You definitely went a little "old school" by adding an analog pressure gauge (I am guessing based on your ePerkingBrake post) "because you could" Very reminiscent of adding a 3-gauge setup for engine temp/engine oil pressure/battery voltage to 70s American muscle cars that didn't have those gauges unless you had one of the higher trim models. I've got the oil temp gauge on my IPC (with digital temp above exposed via FORScan) and I can get Oil pressure via FORScan monitoring PID. Might be interesting to compare the readings between the FORScan PID and your analog oil pressure gauge.

Still concerning that multiple owners are reporting this = a disturbing trend I'd like to get ahead of.: Can I ask what type of Oil you are running with?

Both of you please report back what you dealer finds if they can ever recreate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I will definitely post back after my appointment Monday. Between the freezing doors, randomly opening tailgates, multiple trips to get the block heater cord fixed, and the truck beeping low oil pressure, I am starting to question the longevity of this investment! I have been to the dealer more times in the year I have owned this truck than the 5 years I owned my last F150. My son keeps telling me I should have bought a Ram every time something happens. :)

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use Rotella T6 full synthetic 5W-40 labeled as Heavy Duty diesel engine oil. Motorcraft filters and I usually change it when it gets down to about 20% of life left. The oil pressure warning light thing is impossible to duplicate, otherwise I could get it to do it every time I pull off the interstate pulling my camper so it must be some sort of glitch in the software. I check my oil level weekly and keep it at the "full"mark (real easy to do as this truck uses no oil!).

The new pressure switch was about $50 from Tasca and frankly it would cost me more to take it in, have them order one and return to have it installed. I have no idea if this will solve it. I have seen where Ford replaces some of the oil pumps with this complaint but I see no stored code on the OBD scan. I have Forscan but haven't used it for anything but reprogramming. I didn't think you could get oil pressure with forscan, that is good to know.

I honestly don't think the truck had dangerously low oil pressure, but you do have to take that warning seriously. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to plead guilty to being old school, on my 2013 F150 with the 5.0 I added a dash oil pressure gauge using the sandwich on the oil filter, added an electronic sender and got one of the vent gauge mounts. It really looks factory and does what it is supposed to do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Aside from oil temp and engine idle speed fluctuation, bearing clearance would be the next cause of actual low oil pressure. I am not thinking the latter is realistic unless you forgot to mention that your truck has 300k poorly attended-to miles. I haven't payed too much attention to the idle speed of the engine in re-gen, but if it is falling off enough, and if the oil pressure switch is faulty (a bad part....on a new truck.....say it ain't so!) as "Ol' School" suspects, you may have your issue. Have a 330Ci Bimmer that went into limp mode on me. Idle dropped about 100 rpm in gear (Drive) and the oil light would flicker. Car only had 68k miles on it. I do have to ask.......do you trust that "e-lectronic park brake" to hold your truck whilst ya git out and check the gauge.....with it in gear?

Had another thought to consider.......If I am reading the label correctly, the recommended Motorcraft oil is mineral oil. I have used the Shell oil in my previous Cummins and my tractors. I notice that the John Deeres and my Ford 1710 take a second or two longer to "oil up" when they start with the synthetic in them. I have heard that synthetic oil will tend to expose weak gaskets because the synthetic is so slick. My suggestion is to try going back to mineral oil and see if the symptom persists. Just throwin' stuff at the wall.......

·
Registered
21 Posts
Following up on my trip to the dealer - they called me yesterday to say they were replacing the oil pressure switch. I will pick it up today and see if that helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just got the paperwork back from the dealer in the mail, since their printers were down when I went to pick the truck up last week. It said that there was a small leak coming from the oil pressure switch, so they replaced the switch.

I haven't been driving too much, but the problem hasn't happened since the fix.

·
Super Moderator
437 Posts
@BriGuy - thanks for following up & posting back their diagnosis:
=> Leaky oil sensor is a "good" diagnosis, as this is something that can be easily replaced under warranty (@Dunrollin said the OEM part is !$50 thru Tasco)
=> This is much better outcome than some longer term issue caused by poor engine design

1 - 10 of 10 Posts