Diesel F150 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This engine is going into the 2022 ranger, as well as the VW amarok for International markets, as unveiled today. This should shore up any worries about engines and parts availability for us longer term. Hopefully it is more of a success overseas.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This engine is going into the 2022 ranger, as well as the VW amarok for International markets, as unveiled today. This should shore up any worries about engines and parts availability for us longer term. Hopefully it is more of a success overseas.

That is great news I love this truck and was worried about keeping it long term ,has anyone asked there dealer about the cost of changing the timing belt I really wish they would have designed it as a gear drive instead.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is great news I love this truck and was worried about keeping it long term ,has anyone asked there dealer about the cost of changing the timing belt I really wish they would have designed it as a gear drive instead.
Going rate is somewhere around $1500. You'll likely never see a gear driven engine again, to my knowledge there's really only one left, the cummins. They are reliable (as long as nothing gets in there, like say... a dowel :p), however they add significant cost, and add significant drag on the engine thereby reducing fuel economy. I seriously doubt any modern engine will go back to this. Another reason many engines have moved away from this is as an engine heats and cools, the block expands and contracts (more pronounced on smaller engines) and thus the gears will develop backlash as things heat up. This is avoided by the use of a belt and chain.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Going rate is somewhere around $1500. You'll likely never see a gear driven engine again, to my knowledge there's really only one left, the cummins. They are reliable (as long as nothing gets in there, like say... a dowel :p), however they add significant cost, and add significant drag on the engine thereby reducing fuel economy. I seriously doubt any modern engine will go back to this. Another reason many engines have moved away from this is as an engine heats and cools, the block expands and contracts (more pronounced on smaller engines) and thus the gears will develop backlash as things heat up. This is avoided by the use of a belt and chain.
I should clarify however, the 6.7 is a gear drive, however it's a pushrod engine so it's just one gear, you won't find many overhead cam engines that are gear drive. pros and cons to each.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts