Diesel F150 Forum banner

IWE Lifespan

625 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  navyR113
EDIT - Google this TSB: Ford TSB 22-2219

Anyone with 4A should delete their solenoid function by removing their hose.

Happy Easter Ladies and Gentleman,

Curious about lifespans of IWEs, I get about 50,000km (31,068 miles) out of each set. Thinking I have an vacuum pump issue.

What are you all getting for milage or lifespan?

My timeline of issues -

49,000km (30,447 miles) - I went offroad, stopped, shifted into 4WD. Waiting a few seconds, drove forward slowly (10ft) and heard a loud bang from the left IWE. Stopped, then started again, another 10ft and bang from the right side. Didn't get any wheels spinning in the front.

49,419km (30,707 miles) – New IWES (Both Sides), hose assembly (FL3Z-3A788-B) from the dealership.

102,000km (63,379 miles) - Intermittent grinding started in the front drivers side and brake pedal vibration, only at low speeds while stopping (2WD, 4AUTO and 4WD). Thought it bad rotors and pads (they were original). 4WD still works.

102,100 km (63,441) - Front Brakes serviced (not replaced)

109,974km (68,334 miles) - Front Brakes replaced. New pads and rotors. Intermittent front end noise and vibration continued while stopping at slow speeds. Started doing some tests. Thought the noise and vibration was traveling from the rear and the rear brakes needed to be serviced, they were replaced at 86,650km (53,841 miles). 4WD is still working, Intermittent noise present (same volume) in 2WD, 4AUTO and 4WD.

110,000km (68,350 miles) - Rear Brakes serviced (not replaced)

113,000km (70,214 miles) - Noise and vibration is no longer intermittent. Getting worse in 2WD, less loud in 4AUTO and 4WD. 4WD still works. In 2WD, leaving the hose on the actuator (Unlocking hubs), the noise is really bad. In 2WD, pulled IWE hose off the actuator (locking hubs), the noise is gone. In 4AUTO, with hose on and off the actuator, the noise is gone.
See less See more
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
No issues, running original IWEs at 78,000 miles (125,000km). Replaces rear brakes at 73,000 miles but running the original front brakes. I don't think brakes and IWEs are related though.
Reactions: 1
I haven't had any IWE issues on my last three (3) F150 Platinums, but both a buddy of mine and I had multiple issues with the needle bearing that the end of the 4WD shaft (always spinning on AWD models) in the front wheel hub assembly. The symptoms you describe at your 63,379 miles mark in your timeline sounds like what I experienced at 35K on my 2015 Platinum. Most noticeable on deceleration from 30 MPH to 10 MPH w/o 4WD engaged.

2015-2017 F150 Lariat and above trim levels have had recurring issue with the needle bearing at the end of the 4WD shaft in either driver's side/passenger's side/both spins the grease out causing a shudder/squealing on deceleration.

My buddy had 3 sets of front wheel assemblies replaced under warranty (basically every time he went for an oil change) and last I check they were up into the "J" or "K" revision on the front wheel hub assembly, as the Ford engineers haven't been able to figure out how to keep grease in this needle bearing that carries the end of the front 4WD shafts that are always spinning for AWD. Given he bought his truck as "Certified Used" from our same local dealer who offered the warranty, Service Manager worked with Sales Manager to get him into brand new 2019 Lariat and sent his used truck off to auction.

Good news is I have not experienced this issue on my 2018 F150 Platinum.
See less See more
@jmperlik

Sounds like the needle bearing issue. I was not aware of this issues at all. Thanks for all the info and help! Still under warranty for a little while longer, so I'll get my moneys worth and get the dealership to fix it. Hopefully, they don't try to action TSB 22-2219. I will tell them not to, nobody wants unwanted wear on their front diff. Wheel bearings and IWEs are cheaper.

I got three quick questions though.

This needle bearing is the one in the red box in photo below?

As for the AWD comment, I know the 4Auto transfer cases have a clutch pack, 100% locked in 4WD, variable in 4AUTO, unlocks in 2WD, but does the still slightly spin in 2WD? (we'll call this as some sort "residual" clutch contact?)

In 2WD, (in a perfect world, IWEs are fully unlocked, transfer case is outputting 0% to the front diff and the front axles aren't spinning), would the axle end be sitting on this needle bearing and the needle bearing would be rotating with the wheel?

Camera lens Digital camera Lens Camera accessory Font
See less See more
From what I understand (I may be wrong) for the Lariat and above trim models, the 4WD drive shafts are always spinning regardless of 2WD/AWD/4WD = this explains the MPG drop for the Lariat and above trim in the original 2019 MPG specs (there were no MPG specs for 2018 PSD models)

I've been challenged on this claim in the past: IWE failure: Replace or Eliminate?
while others have agreed: IWE Solenoid
I'll leave it up to you to determine what to believe on the internets, but I will provide you with as much information as possible from these forums to allow you to form your own opinion.

My recommendation: Drag your Service Manager into your truck for a test drive when the grinding/squealing occurs to get your front wheel hubs replaced while under warranty.
@SlurpRooster thank you for sharing this info. A few months ago I heard some strange clicking noises when in 4A driving around during heavy rain….this must be it!
FUGAZI: Are you sure you weren't in 4H? 4A works pretty quietly and seamlessly for me, on the road or off. I have a 2021 Lariat.
Figured I'd give an update. IWEs and check valve were replaced. Noise is gone. It was the IWEs losing vacuum while moving at low speeds, possibly high speeds, just couldn't hear them over the 35" tires. They would hold vacuum while stationary.

So far I've gotten 50,000km (31,000 miles) per set of IWEs. We'll see how long this new set lasts.

As for the TOD transfer cases, front drive shafts do spin at all speeds in 2WD, 4AUTO, 4WD (due to the fluids and clutch packs).

2023 F150s with the TOD transfer case no longer have eIWEs, they are straight spline axles into the hubs, while all 2021+ F150s with SOTF transfer cases still use the new eIWEs.

You can see the TOD transfer case spinning on this 2013 F150, in this video (It starts spinning after about 10km/h (6mph)) :

Figured I'd give an update. IWEs and check valve were replaced. Noise is gone. It was the IWEs losing vacuum while moving at low speeds, possibly high speeds, just couldn't hear them over the 35" tires. They would hold vacuum while stationary.

So far I've gotten 50,000km (31,000 miles) per set of IWEs. We'll see how long this new set lasts.

As for the TOD transfer cases, front drive shafts do spin at all speeds in 2WD, 4AUTO, 4WD (due to the fluids and clutch packs).

2023 F150s with the TOD transfer case no longer have eIWEs, they are straight spline axles into the hubs, while all 2021+ F150s with SOTF transfer cases still use the new eIWEs.

You can see the TOD transfer case spinning on this 2013 F150, in this video (It starts spinning after about 10km/h (6mph)) :

"2023 F150s with the TOD transfer case no longer have eIWEs, they are straight spline axles into the hubs, while all 2021+ F150s with SOTF transfer cases still use the new eIWEs."

I wonder if the new style straight since front axles would fit into the 2018-2020/2021-2022 trucks. 🤔🧐
Reactions: 1
1 - 9 of 9 Posts