Diesel F150 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2018 F-150 Lariat 3.0 FX4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My key Fob and pickup don’t recognize each other. Changed both batteries and still doesn’t recognize it. I have to manually use keyless entry to unlock and put fob in cup holder. Looking for any ideas to cure this. Thanks for your time.

·
Administrator
978 Posts
I think my Service Manager said the key fob on the high-end trims (Lariat & above) are north of $500 (including programming) so I'd follow the advice of @STIAJW.

My 2nd key fob has never left the key hook on my kitchen cabinet since I bought new, so I have a backup. Take it you don't have a 2nd/backup key fob?

Some dealerships throw in key fob replacement in new purchase benefits package, so check your paperwork if you bought thru a Ford dealership.

Reactions: FOuR Dig

·
Registered
141 Posts
IF interested in having a 3rd fob (should one get misplaced), the best time to get the 3rd fob made is prior to when its needed.
Programming a 3rd fob is relatively straight-forward if there's two working fobs on hand.
This video is for the F-150 with push-button ignition. How To Program A 2018 - 2021 Ford F-150 Key Fob - DIY F150 Remote Programming Pairing - YouTube
Used OEM fobs with new / uncut keys are readily available on flea bay.
Quite a few locksmiths can cut the two-sided keys (for unlocking the door) with their router-type key-cutting machine.

I have the XLT with the key ignition. I now have a 3rd key on hand using a near new OEM key, and following similar procedures for programming the 3rd key.

Edited to add: the best keyword for searching for a compatible OEM key fob is to use the FCC ID number printed in really small letters on the fob. To make it easier to read the really small letters and numbers, a cell phone camera can take a close-up photo, and the photo can be enlarged when viewing.

·
Super Moderator
715 Posts
Great advice above. You mention that you can operate the truck using the emergency slot in the cup holder. That tells me the truck recognizes your fob but for some reason isn't receiving the radio waves.

I ordered a China knock off fob on ebay and programmed it for a 3rd key, just in case. If your truck is OK with the 2 factory fobs in the emergency slot, you will be able to program a new fob. Who knows, maybe that one will work remotely. You don't have to cut a metal key as you can use one from your factory fobs. The bateries are common Walmart ones si that is a cheap test.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts