Diesel F150 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get away from any and all motorcraft/Ford products due to there not available at my dealer and I want to go to the part store and get my filter and oil..So..What replacement oil can I put in my 3.0 and I already go good response on the filter, so that is handled..Thanks again..

·
Super Moderator
715 Posts
I use Shell Rotella T6 5w40. I use it in 3 diesels here so I keep 5 gallons on hand. I bought 4 gallons just last week at Home Depot of all places. Let me go check what I paid.

Found it, $22.48 a gallon after veteran discount. Advance Auto also had some but it was higher.

I think this oil is approved for severe use, which I think Florida is.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys,,This is mt 7th diesel and I never have walked on more eggshells in my life making sure this engine last me..i have used Rotella from my first 7.3 to my last 6.7 and now for this 3.0..

·
Registered
179 Posts
Same here.

And, FYi, the owner's manual for my 2019 states 5W-40 CK-4 oil is required if biodiesel is used, and for severe duty use.
Those are good enough reasons for me to use Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 as the standard oil in my truck.
View attachment 2684
Given what Ford defines as "severe duty", it probably wouldn't be the worst idea for everyone to run 5W-40 CK-4 oil (though with how hard Rotella T6 is to find currently, I'm not going to suggest this!).

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
This is a list I found here in another thread and through Ford.com of all the oils that meet Ford's specs for our motors.

Ford does regularly update the list (the last time was about 2 weeks ago), but for some reason, some of their web pages contain the original list from 2018. From what I can tell, this is their latest link:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've got the same oil question for anyone in Canada. My warranty is up right away so I'll be doing my own oil changes, and wondering if there's a preferred oils anyone uses. I plan on full synthetic, but the chart basically says we can use either 5w30 or 5w40 (I live in an area that regularly sees -30c in the winter...). I use 5w30 on our car, just wondering if there's an argument for 5w40 since this is a diesel? I don't do any hauling or heavy duty type driving in the winter, although I do pull the holiday trailer all over the place in the summer. Any insight is appreciated guys!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've got the same oil question for anyone in Canada. My warranty is up right away so I'll be doing my own oil changes, and wondering if there's a preferred oils anyone uses. I plan on full synthetic, but the chart basically says we can use either 5w30 or 5w40 (I live in an area that regularly sees -30c in the winter...). I use 5w30 on our car, just wondering if there's an argument for 5w40 since this is a diesel? I don't do any hauling or heavy duty type driving in the winter, although I do pull the holiday trailer all over the place in the summer. Any insight is appreciated guys!
This is a screenshot of my owners manual. I'd recommend going with the 0w40 synthetic diesel oil in the winter based on your stated temperatures for that time of year. Other than that, I would recommend 5w40 based on Ford's own recommendations and definition of "severe duty".

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just to be sure, I hope you are not implying that anything labelled as 5W30 is compatible with this engine. With rare exceptions, if it's rated for your car, it is likely not rated for this F-150 diesel. Ford permits use of their FA-4 5W30 oil, but every indication that I have is that is is designed for 1.) DPF longevity 2.) EPA fuel economy cycle 3.) engine protection, in that order. I personally think the 5W30 oil would save most money on fuel, if you intend to trade in at 130,000 miles or less. Ford WSS-M2C171-F1, either as a 10W30 or 5W40 would be better if engine longevity is more important, is what I prefer. For this specification, there are over 300 specific oils that meet the requirements, of which only one is a 5W30. I ran a 5W30 in my diesel 3.0L Volkswagen until the warranty expired at 120,000 miles and immediately switched to Rotella 5W40 after that, based on my Blackstone oil analyses.

I have no idea why Ford specifies a 5W30 as a base oil and then jumps to 5W40 for severe applications. 10W30 and 15W40 appear to be the current factory fills for Volvo, Detroit, and Cummins. I believe both the Ram and Ford 6.7L diesel pickups are 10W30 from the factory.

The 0W40 is pretty specific. I just picked up almost 40 liters of it, but only because I routinely drop far below -30C and am not necessarily plugged into a block heater. If my vehicle overnighted in a garage when it was less than -30C or was even plugged in to a block heater, I would stay with 5W40.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts