Diesel F150 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did a drive from SW Ontario down to florida.
Total of 3540 miles (5700 km)round trip including driving around down there, distance to get there is about 1300 miles door to door.
Overall average of 27mpg or 8.7 l/100 km.
Had 5 people in the vehicle plus around 750 lbs of gear in the bed.
Mileage would have been better but drove into 50mph winds head at start of drive in very cold temps.
I have noticed mileage is a bit poorer on cold days and it definitely started picking up after getting out of below freezing temps.
One thing I did notice was that I toppped up Def before I left and it read 15,000 km (9300) miles which has been pretty normal. However after driving 2 days just on the highway and about 1600 miles it had dropped down to 3000 miles to empty. It jumped back to 6000 miles to empty after normal driving around in florida. It made me wonder if the truck uses more def at highway speeds.
Regens would average about every 300 miles or so.
Overall really happy with the truck.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Thanks for the report and welcome to the Sunshine State. Even in our northern Florida city we expect over 80 degrees F over the next 3 days.

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
@Lariat1 - pretty impressive MPG number, especially with 5 people and 750 lbs in the bed! Guessing you may have been close to your payload limit...

I don't drive mine long enough distances to notice the DEF level fluctuating -- it gets filled every oil change at 5K intervals regardless of level.

Maybe @CYODESL (our resident biofuel expert) or others can chime in on local vs highway driving DEF usage to answer you question...

Thanks for reporting in with your MPG and owner experience.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Recently did a trip from northern VA to FL. about 1800 round trip.. Truck said I was at 28.1, but the FillUp App on my phone said 25.78 Still better than the 20/21 I was getting on same trip in my 2.7 EB. Over 700 Miles per tank was nice for sure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's pretty good mpg for sure! Out of curiosity and for context, what is your typical comfortable cruising speed? Also, is the 27 according to the computer or hand calculated at the pump? What's your gear ratio and I'm assuming 4x4 here? Are you using the recommend standard oil or a more "heavy duty" spec?

Not being critical of your number at all, but I haven't gotten that kind of mpg and I'm curious why I haven't. It very well could be my driving style and specifics on the few interstate trips I've taken. On those few trips I've averaged around 23 (calc by hand). Around town, I'm at about 21. All in all not terrible but with 3.31s I could have hoped for more, some have boasted about getting near 30 mpg highway! I have a trip coming up next month and I may prioritize efficiency to see how good I can get. I'm fingers crossed that after 10,000 miles this engine will break in and I'll really start getting the mpgs, haha! :wink2::laugh:

·
Registered
7 Posts
My drive from Austin to Oklahoma City, my highest average on I-35 N was 30.9mpg. It dropped back down to 27.8 around town here in OK. This is a 2019 2WD Lariat with 20” wheels and a 3.31 axle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's pretty good mpg for sure! Out of curiosity and for context, what is your typical comfortable cruising speed? Also, is the 27 according to the computer or hand calculated at the pump? What's your gear ratio and I'm assuming 4x4 here? Are you using the recommend standard oil or a more "heavy duty" spec?

Not being critical of your number at all, but I haven't gotten that kind of mpg and I'm curious why I haven't. It very well could be my driving style and specifics on the few interstate trips I've taken. On those few trips I've averaged around 23 (calc by hand). Around town, I'm at about 21. All in all not terrible but with 3.31s I could have hoped for more, some have boasted about getting near 30 mpg highway! I have a trip coming up next month and I may prioritize efficiency to see how good I can get. I'm fingers crossed that after 10,000 miles this engine will break in and I'll really start getting the mpgs, haha! :wink2::laugh:
It was hand calculated. I was cruising around 70 mph and I had the transmission on the eco mode for the trip. For sure I dont get that kind of mileage in short trips around town and its normally more in the 23 range
I think also what helps with the mileage was that the truck did regens every 300 miles where in my normal driving its more like 200 to 250 miles. It burns quite a bit more fuel when doing the regen so the fewer the regens the better the mileage gets.
I have the 3.31 rear end also.
Get oil chages at ford so just standard oil

·
Registered
31 Posts
That's great info @Lariat1, thank you very much for posting and humoring me here! I've used eco mode some but admittedly not a lot, will experiment with it and see how much better I can get. My typical driving is genuinely mixed: city, backroads, and highway peppered with stop lights and at my fill up today I calculated just under 21mpg. With my 2017 3.5 NA F150 I was getting just ~19 so I'll take 21 and considerably more power. East Tennessee hills may be a contributing factor here. I think you're spot on though, fewer regens equals better fuel economy. Thanks again for the help!
@Silver Super D, that's incredible! The 2WD makes a big difference. I considered going 2WD for that reason alone!!

·
Registered
12 Posts

I get similar mileage as the OP. On relatively flat roads my truck will average around 27mpg on long trips. Cruising around western Canada last fall on a 4500km road trip through the mountains, city traffic, long streaches of highway and every other type of driving possible, even 4x4 for a spell, my truck averaged 25 mpg taken from the computer. 3:55 rear end. Cruising speeds of 65-75 mph.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I normally drive 600+ miles to work and back a week, mostly highway. Computer calc 29.4 - 30.5 overall, per trip 27 - 33 hand calc normally 28.6 to 29.8 dependent on how much city driving i have to do. oh and i have 32 K + miles on my truck, normally oil changes and tire rotation, using Staydyne fuel additive at each fill up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts