Diesel F150 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
It will get you FULL ATTENTION... It will be an interesting conversation w/Ford today. I farm for a living and have been around equipment of my life. I really dislike the electronics that modern tractors / harvesters / trucks now have . Its great when they work , but often are not trouble free -( I use the Sears refig 1965 model in the shop that just runs vs the GE 2015 in the house . We know the GE tech on a first name basis )

As for the truck I think its electrical :
  • Intermittent
  • will go away by only moving shift to park or neutral
  • warning says LOW / Gauge shows ZERO
  • only at a full stop -
I will report back...........
This matches my symptoms exactly. The red light and alarm beeping gets your attention! I hope a new switch is all you need as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What was the FIX for your truck ?
They installed a new oil pressure switch. The dealer said they found a small leak there, so I suspect there was a bad batch of these sensors or something. At first the dealer brushed me off because the oil level was fine and there were no codes, but I asked them to check the sensor. They switched it out last May, and I have not had the issue return (knock on wood).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
They installed a new oil pressure switch. The dealer said they found a small leak there, so I suspect there was a bad batch of these sensors or something. At first the dealer brushed me off because the oil level was fine and there were no codes, but I asked them to check the sensor. They switched it out last May, and I have not had the issue return (knock on wood).
Thank you good to know... Interesting note. I watched the oil pressure gauge when I had the "start /stop engaged - which I never do hate the feature ). the gauge cluster remains on - so I watched as the oil pressure when the engine stopped. It fell very slowly - as expected when the pressure bleed off.. Now comparing this to video I took during the low pressure warning event. The oil pressure gauge falls rapidly - much different behavior.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Update 10/21.... Its been 7 days since my 2019 had an oil pressure warning event. Dealer could not duplicate the issue , but has ordered an oil pressure switch- which is back ordered.

I have been driving the truck local , some highway some town --- all is well

• no problem at this time - all good
  • have not had an episode in 7 days / 200 miles

It would seem to me that the issue ( happened to me twice in last 20 days ) would not just go away on its own
If electrical or mechanical - its seems to be hidden somewhere ?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine was sporadic also. Most often I would get the low oil alarm if I drove at least 15 - 20 minutes on the highway, and then hit a stop light right after exiting. Regular around the town driving rarely triggered it.
I hope you get this figured out soon!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Mine was sporadic also. Most often I would get the low oil alarm if I drove at least 15 - 20 minutes on the highway, and then hit a stop light right after exiting. Regular around the town driving rarely triggered it.
I hope you get this figured out soon!
I have not been able to get the truck to misbehave in the last 300 miles / 6 days ......no matter what I do highway years for 40 minutes, backing town stop and go ---nothing but perfection ( at least right now ) oil pressure switch on backorder

·
Registered
13 Posts
2019 w/20K miles 1st owner..

Driveing after 10 miles . Came to a stop and the low engine oil pressure warning came on..Looked at the gauge and NO OIL PRESSURE READING. As soon as began moving - all went to normal , stoped and warning came on again - Stopped put into park and all went to normal, into drive warning again .. started moving all normal.

Oil level fine .. all service by Ford.. BTW they have NO IDEA.

Any thoughts
Same problem bought truck with10k drove to local dealer and of course they didn’t fine issue

·
Super Moderator
596 Posts
Keep in mind your oil probably never went to zero, if the switch trips at, say 10 psi, you can have 9.75 psi and the gauge will read zero. To me there is no excuse for the stupid "idiot light" gauge.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've got the same problem and started one of the other threads on this same issue. I was under impression the oil pressure switch is on backorder so even the dealer can't get it and you can't find one in stock online anywhere. Took mine in to the dealer this morning and they said I need a new oil pump! Much bigger repair than a pressure switch. I see no option but to let them do it thankfully under warranty and see what happens

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I've got the same problem and started one of the other threads on this same issue. I was under impression the oil pressure switch is on backorder so even the dealer can't get it and you can't find one in stock online anywhere. Took mine in to the dealer this morning and they said I need a new oil pump! Much bigger repair than a pressure switch. I see no option but to let them do it thankfully under warranty and see what happens
OUCH... wonder why the dealer feels this is the oil pump ? I am hearing electrical all the way..

I posted this earlier..
Interesting note. I watched the oil pressure gauge when I had the "start /stop engaged - which I never do hate the feature ). the gauge cluster remains on - so I watched the oil pressure when the engine stopped. It fell very slowly - as expected when the pressure bleed off.. Now comparing this to video I took during the low pressure warning event. The oil pressure gauge falls rapidly - much different behavior.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same problem bought truck with10k drove to local dealer and of course they didn’t fine issue
The dealership determined the problem They keep telling me no codes, no codes, being a mechanic for 40 years scanners usually read real time data if nothing is wrong at the present time it’s not going to show an issue. After the first battle of me letting the service writer know that basic engine oil Pressure should be determined before all codes come on .everybody goes to the scanner for answers . Basics first! As of now they a trying to figure out what’s wrong

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Back with my 2019 --- repairs completed. Had a long conversation the the head diesel mechanic. His opinion
a- it not mechanical -
b-Found a worn / rubbed / bare spot on the ground of the wiring .. he felt that this was the cause.

Installed new oil pressure switch and wiring - soldered the wire - shrink wrap w/ dielectric grease,...

·
Administrator
878 Posts
@RLVoumard - thank you the thorough documenting and feedback on this topic:

Had a long conversation with the head diesel mechanic. His opinion:
a.) It not mechanical
b.) Found a worn / rubbed / bare spot on the ground of the wiring -- he felt that this was the cause.
Your head diesel mechanic's findings and explanation make the most sense to-date for the root cause of this issue.

Thanks again for following up and feeding back here in the forums to educate the rest of us.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This matches my symptoms exactly. The red light and alarm beeping gets your attention! I hope a new switch is all you need as well.
I have the same problem Ford is telling me is the oil drained back tube in the filter housing and is a $4000 Fix but it's not covered under warranty I have had this problem twice the 1st time I fixed it by changing the oil and not adding Lucas this time I don't know what to do

·
Super Moderator
596 Posts
@hummincummins90 Welcome to the site! That sounds like the same issue several of us have had. Another way of saying it is the rubber stopper in the bottom of the filter housing (we have been calling it the rubber nub) was pulled off by someone incorrectly installing the filter into the cap before screwing the cap in.

If that is the case it boils down to a simple repair if you could get the rubber stopper. Unfortunately Ford doesn't sell the stopper and instead sells the entire oil cooler/filter assembly. That part is a complex installation and that price ($4,000) may be accurate.

A couple of quick questions: Who changed your oil? Has it been the same dealer throughout? How many miles do you have and why are they saying it is not under the 5 year/100,000 mile warranty? Has anyone (you can do this- it is easy) looked into the oil filter well with the filter out and seen if the stopper is just sitting in the bottom somewhere? If so I was able to simply put it back into place rather than do surgery.

Sorry about the long reply but this is an issue that should not exist. At the least Ford could supply the stoppers to us and their mechanics. Second they should have put a warning label on the filter housing "WARNING- Use the filter removal and reinstall procedure in the owner's manual or damage to the engine will occur"

Hope you can get it fixed soon.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.