Diesel F150 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I only got 18 mpg on my first tank. Not what I was expecting. I drive in a lot of traffic. The 2.7L I drove for a week got 17 on the same commute. My 6.2L I traded got 14. I was hoping for 22. Maybe it will increase as it get broken in.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I only got 18 mpg on my first tank. Not what I was expecting. I drive in a lot of traffic. The 2.7L I drove for a week got 17 on the same commute. My 6.2L I traded got 14. I was hoping for 22. Maybe it will increase as it get broken in.
Did your dealer send you away from your purchase with your first tank full? I told my dealer all the new vehicles I had in the past were provided to me with a full tank, so they went and filled it up before I took possession. My point is that if the salesman did your first fill up, he may not have given you a completely full tank, or at least not filled it up with the same fill technique as you, and that could account for inaccurate mpg.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Here is an article worth reading to see if any of it applies to your particular situation or driving habits --> https://www.bellperformance.com/bell-performs-blog/winter-diesel-fuel-mileage

The "Speed Is The Biggest Factor" section in the above article is very true. If I set my cruise control at 49-50 mph in an extended 45 mph highway zone my Fuel History Graph readout in the dash display has reported as high as 30-38 mpg.

I know up here in the north country from October-April we sacrifice some mpg's due to winterized diesel (where they mix in a percentage of #1 with the #2). I bought my truck day before Thanksgiving, so I have yet to operate on summer diesel. Those down south where they don't have winterized diesel have been seeing better mpg's than those of us driving around up here in the Polar Vortex of the north. I have been starting to see improvement in mpg's lately as the mix % of #1 is being faded out in the transition from winterized diesel to summer diesel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My last tank was 31 mpg imperial (26 US) which was hand calculated. I think it's still breaking in though.

Reactions: JIM

·
Registered
399 Posts
I was at my dealer this morning to follow-up on them ordering me a 48 gallon Titan Tank to replace the OEM 26 gallon tank, and in conversation with the aftermarket guy he asked if I had any problems with fuel gelling up over the winter. I told him no, because I was doing Power Service white bottle additive with every fuel up. He then told me that they had a heck of a time moving around the F150 diesels on their sales lot this winter because they shipped from the factory with summer diesel without any anti gel additives; he then stated that was his reason for asking me that question.

So it seems the dealers up in the north country had some lessons to learn about the new F150 diesels as well; although, you would think they would have learned this by now with Super Duty diesels on their lots.

·
Administrator
979 Posts
@kdjasper - [sarcasm]but, but, but the Ford F150 Owners manual says not to use any fuel additives::surprise:[/sarcasm]
Diesel Fuel Additives
  • It should not be necessary to add any aftermarket additives to your fuel if you use a high quality diesel fuel that conforms to ASTM industry specifications. Aftermarket additives can damage the fuel injector system or engine.
  • Use Motorcraft® cetane booster or an equivalent cetane booster additive if you suspect fuel has low cetane. Use Motorcraft® anti-gel & performance improver or an equivalent additive if there is fuel gelling.
  • Do not use alcohol-based additives to improve cetane quality, to prevent fuel gelling or any other use. The use of alcohol additives may result in damage to the fuel injectors and system. See Engine Specifications.
  • Your warranty may not cover repairs needed to correct the effects of using an aftermarket product that does not meet Ford specifications in your fuel.
Sure glad I ran Stanadyne Performance Formula all winter...

·
Registered
399 Posts
@jmperlik yeah, I get the sarcasm. Interesting is that my Ford dealer sells Power Service additive on their shelves right next to the Motorcraft OEM, and they recommend using additive up here in MN to prevent fuel gelling because even the winterized diesel being sold has less protection than adding Power Service or Stanadyne (or name your additive with anti gel protection). I wouldn't want to rely solely on winterized diesel preventing a gel up in feels like -55F Polar Vortex conditions. Also, some guys that are even farther north may be filling up their tanks with a partial fill of straight #1 and finishing the fill up with winterized diesel (a buddy of mine told me a buddy of his did that with a Duramax when they went up ice fishing at Lake of the Woods during the Polar Vortex when the daytime highs were -25F without the windchill factor).

I think an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure when it comes to gelling up your diesel.

I have switched over to filling my truck with Kwik Trip Premium Diesel which is 5 cents more over #2 but has the additives already included.

Reactions: Oilburner

·
Registered
399 Posts
Okay, so I am suspecting that the Biodiesel Blend Mandate requirements in Minnesota may be partially impacting my mpg --> https://afdc.energy.gov/laws/5452

Here is the top level link to search for any Biodiesel Blend Mandate requirements for your state --> https://afdc.energy.gov/laws/search
***See the attached screenshot below illustrating the search for Minnesota and the results

I have also included some photos below that I have taken at a few diesel pumps in MN as well as one this morning from WI. I don't live that far from the WI border, so this morning I decided to drive over there and filled up #2 at the Flying J which appears to not be a biodiesel blend as we are mandated to have in MN (from the link above it does not appear that Wisconsin mandates fuel stations dispense a biodiesel blend). I have read that biodiesel blend lowers mpg's, possibly as much as 2 mpg. Interestingly enough, the truck computer reported 28.3 mpg parked in my driveway after the 38.1 mile drive back from the Flying J.

Are there any forum members in NW Ontario, specifically in the Dryden area that can report on the diesel being offered there? I make a couple week long trips each summer where I pass through Dryden, so would like to know about the diesel being dispensed up there so that I know whether or not I want to bring a full tank up from MN or fill up with higher quality diesel (yeah, I know it will be more expensive than MN diesel) while in the Dryden area--thanks!

Attachments

·
Administrator
979 Posts
Had to run upstate to pick something up which required a 110 mile trip (one-way) on NYS Rt 28 thru the Catskill mountains. Outbound leg was on a partial tank so it was hard to gauge a realistic MPG, plus this was my first highway driving in a few weeks, so I am pretty sure I was in regen on the leg out. I knew the return leg would be a better test, as I had to fuel up at my destination because I was near empty, but ran into the Rapid Fill "big" nozzle issue until I found a Speedway with the smaller nozzle that fits our capless fuel tanks.

On the way back I averaged 29.5 MPG on the trip computer in weather conditions just above freezing but below 40 degrees F. Considering this was mostly 55 MPH roads winding thru the mountains and 20-30 MPH in the small towns in between, I didn't think this was too shabby at all, considering I have a Platinum with AWD and the 25 MPG highway EPA-mandated window sticker average. I started out in Normal Driving Mode and switched to Eco mode about halfway thru on the leg home, so I am convinced I could have broken 30 MPG average if I had switched it into Eco from the start.

I have ~6500 miles on the odometer now and I am running Stanadyne Performance Formula as an additive, so maybe my engine is starting to loosen up.

I've got a bunch of trips back home to Massachusetts in the next 6 weeks, so I am interested to see what I can get for MPGs in Eco Mode on Summer Diesel -- I would be ecstatic if I can average over 30 MPG on trips to Boston...

·
Registered
93 Posts
MPG and the EPA ratings

The EPA mileage ratings are mainly for 55 mph and are NOT performed by the EPA. Usually the manufacturers do the testing and it’s for 55 mph. They’d be crazy to rate these at 70 mph +. On the highway for me, 22 to 23 mpg is what I get at 70 to 80 mph. I can get better in town if I’m patient and allow the shut off’s at the traffic lights. If I’m on a stretch that’s around 55, like magic I get 30 mpg.

·
Administrator
979 Posts
@Dijit - Here let me fix this for you since what I said is so controversial..?

Had to run upstate to pick something up which required a 110 mile trip (one-way) on NYS Rt 28 thru the Catskill mountains. Outbound leg was on a partial tank so it was hard to gauge a realistic MPG, plus this was my first highway driving in a few weeks, so I am pretty sure I was in regen on the leg out. I knew the return leg would be a better test, as I had to fuel up at my destination because I was near empty, but ran into the Rapid Fill "big" nozzle issue until I found a Speedway with the smaller nozzle that fits our capless fuel tanks.

On the way back I averaged 29.5 MPG on the trip computer in weather conditions just above freezing but below 40 degrees F. Considering this was mostly 55 MPH roads winding thru the mountains and 20-30 MPH in the small towns in between, I didn't think this was too shabby at all, considering I have a Platinum with AWD and the 25 MPG highway EPA-mandated window sticker average. I started out in Normal Driving Mode and switched to Eco mode about halfway thru on the leg home, so I am convinced I could have broken 30 MPG average if I had switched it into Eco from the start.

I have ~6500 miles on the odometer now and I am running Stanadyne Performance Formula as an additive, so maybe my engine is starting to loosen up.

I've got a bunch of trips back home to Massachusetts in the next 6 weeks, so I am interested to see what I can get for MPGs in Eco Mode on Summer Diesel -- I would be ecstatic if I can average over 30 MPG on trips to Boston...
The point of I was trying to make was I got pretty darn good MPG on windy mountain (not flat) roads in sub-optimal weather conditions, and that maybe? my average MPG is improving due to diesel engine "break in"

Disclaimer: YMMV (You Mileage May Vary)

I apologize for not being verbose enough (not something I get criticized very often for) in spelling out this subtlety...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am finally starting to see similar numbers. 5300 miles on the odometer now. On my trips from the top of MI to the bottom I'm seeing 27 to 28 mpg on the 55 mph stretches, and 22-23 mpg on the freeway at 75 to 80 mph. Considering my 2013 Platinum 3.5L EB delivered 15-16, I am delighted.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I took at trip on mostly highways, close to 90 miles. Speeds were about 70 most of the way, and the computer reported 30.1 mpg when I arrived (Lariat 4wd with close to 2000 miles on it). I am very pleased with the truck and mileage so far, especially coming from a 2014 3.5.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Man kinda disappointed I’m only seeing 21 ish at 75 when some of y’all are seeing high 20s on 4wd models, hopefully mine will continue to rise as I put some miles on it, currently at 2500

·
Registered
399 Posts
My truck gets some highway miles on Monday nights when I drive ~38 miles each way to play pool league. This drive has speed limit stretches of 45, 55, 60, 70 mph. Coming home tonight computer reported 31.4 mpg which is the best I have seen yet (see attached photo), and this is still running winterized diesel! On this tank I did switch up my additive from Power Service Diesel Kleen (gray bottle) to Hot Shots EDT. I have noticed the engine noise noticeably quieted down after the switch to Hot Shots EDT.

(My truck has 3.55 rear axle ratio.)

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mileage is acceptable over previous F150's

With 12000 on the clock and a mix of Hwy and City my average mileage is 24-25MPG. In my old 3.5 and 5.0 I averaged around 16.5 so I am not disappointed. Latest four day trip was 2k miles at 75-80 and averaged 24.6.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts