Diesel F150 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Okay, I have another mileage update to share...

Just drove 1.5 hours after my last fuel up with KwikTrip Premium Diesel, with just a touch over 1/4 ounce Fuel Ox additive to this and the prior tank. ~90% highway driving 60-70mph, with less than 10 miles of it being under 50mph city driving with a few stoplights I had to stop for. As you can see in the attached screenshot, truck computer is reporting 31.0mpg, but from my hand calculation experience that equates to 30.0mpg for my truck. I was at 31.4mpg when I exited off the interstate to drive 5 city miles home and got stopped at about 4 stoplights in that stretch. Another interesting point is that this was with Standard Drive Mode as I always forget to switch it into Eco Drive Mode, so there would have been potential for even greater mpg's on this run.

I think this Fuel Ox additive is the real deal! I noticed a difference in acceleration when coming down the onramp to merge into 70mph traffic, so I think Fuel Ox is providing a boost in engine performance as it states it would do. I also can state that Fuel Ox seems to have improved mpg's, as well as reduce soot output as I am 210 miles past my last active regen and Exhaust Filter 35% Full, so at this pace if I were to keep going down the highway I would have likely experienced a forced active regen at 500 miles by the truck (at least I read that is what happens with our big brother Power Strokes). One thing that I almost missed, is that DPF got to ~20-25% Full from 0% and then went into a passive regen back down to 10% at about 100 miles past 0%--this must have been Fuel Ox causing this difference in behavior, because I have never seen DPF % drop during passive regen and have only noticed it creeps upward very slowly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CGFCJGW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.fuelox.com/product/fuel-ox/

Now that I have my truck getting a range of 723 miles per tank on the highway, my Ford dealer called me and said that my 48 gallon Titan replacement tank had arrived and to call to schedule a time for the install. Whew! That replacement tank will give me a highway cruising range of > 1,300 miles at this level of fuel economy.

Another change I made 1,000 miles ago was my first oil change with Rotella T6 5W-40, so I can't rule out that Rotella is benefiting my fuel economy as well (but hey, isn't that FA-4 stuff supposed to rock the mpg's?).

At any rate, I am getting more in love with my truck every month that goes by. I held onto my 2010 F150 5.4 KR until refreshing to this 2018 3.0 KR, and with our diesel in Minnesota now only running 15-20 cents higher than regular unleaded I am smiling knowing that I would have got nowhere close to these mpg's in any half ton V8 gasser. And, I am also getting 20-25 mpg's towing 18' fiberglass boats around, which was another main reason I went with the diesel over a V8.

Happy Days!

Attachments

Reactions: JIM

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thanks for the report, I grabbed a 3oz fuel ox from amazon to try out!
Great, looking forward to hearing from you and others what their experience is with using the Fuel Ox additive. I would expect anyone with a 3.31 read end to do even better than my experience since I have a 3.55 rear end.

Another thing is that I couldn't hear any noise at all from the engine while cruising down the road at highway speeds. As quiet as our engines are, it seems that Fuel Ox may have quieted it down even more.

"Fuel Ox contains a military grade combustion catalyst that creates a more complete combustion cycle. This enhances combustion and provides an increase in fuel economy, power, and vehicle responsiveness." From my limited experience so far, Fuel Ox is living up to all its claims. (Note: the Product Description section on the Amazon link I provided in my previous post in this thread does a better job of explaining all the benefits of Fuel Ox moreso than the Fuel Ox website page does (and there are more than what I started off this paragraph with in quotes)).

I've never ran a tune on any of my previous trucks, so I have no idea what that feels like, but Fuel Ox is the closest thing to a 'tune' of all of the additives I have cycled through trials on (before I started using Fuel Ox I ran the truck for several partial fuel ups with no additives to try to flush through any residual leftover additive from the last trial). I guess my main goal out of doing a tune if I did one would be boosting up mpg's, but I am totally satisfied with 30mpg highway out of this 4x4 truck with the help of Fuel Ox, and 30mpg highway was my dream truck when Ford did the official press release during the Super Bowl a couple years ago.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Updated mileage report...

I was able to achieve 30.3mpg on a longer sustained 6.5 hour 363 mile highway run, with one stop for lunch in the middle of the run--see 1st attached photo below. After the first 90 miles of this run I switched from Standard Drive Mode to ECO Drive Mode as well. I should also state that I would have probably achieved closer to 31.0mpg had it not been for the last 50 miles being off the freeway and having to slow down and come to complete stops many times as we passed through about 5-7 small towns to reach our destination.

During this run, I was also able to average 37mpg for more than a 30 minute time period, with a 6 minute slice of 40mpg in that 30 minute time period. See 2nd attached photo below.

I'm currently tracking to 756 miles on this single tank of KwikTrip Premium Diesel with Fuel Ox additive. I am still in what I would consider trial period on using the Fuel Ox additive, but I am slowly being convinced that it is the best additive I have tried up to this point. This tank of fuel has 1 Active Regen during it, and after the Active Regen got down to 0% it took 100 miles, I say that again 100 miles! before it got back to 5% Full. Now from my experience I have noticed the DPF fills up very slowly after an Active Regen completes, but have never seen it go 100 miles before getting back to 5%. I am thinking Fuel Ox does indeed reduce soot emissions as it claims to do. It looks like I could go over 400 miles before the next Active Regen.

How did I manage to achieve this mpg? I used the adaptive cruise control to my advantage and was drafting behind semi trucks at ~50% of the total run. At first, I was drafting 3 seconds behind at 70mph. Later, I was drafting a semi that had his cruise control set at 61mph. At first I was drafting this truck 3 seconds back, then I closed the gap to 2 seconds and that provided the big jump up to 37mpg average.

This was done with 4 adults in the cab and luggage cargo in the bed of the truck.

It seems the 3.0 is very capable of nearing 30mpg's on the highway at 70mph if you are easy on the throttle and tuck in behind semi trucks hanging 3 seconds back to draft off them--and that is automatic and easy to do if your truck has adaptive cruise control that you can set at 3 truck lengths of tracking distance. If you like to zoom-zoom and set the pace of the traffic then you'll likely be looking at a best case of 24mpg's on the highway. Of course, I can't rule out that Fuel Ox additive didn't play a big role in helping out this run either.

I just LOVE MY TRUCK!!!

Attachments

Reactions: JIM and KR2018

·
Registered
47 Posts
KD. Just added my first dose of Fuel Ox. Will keep everyone posted on how it works. Just had a oil change also. Haven’t been able to get much past 5000 miles between changes. Curious if fuel ox will have any effect on my oil life.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Interestingly I put the 5W40 oil in my truck and it seems to run smoother and quieter, and I also am now seeing 30 MPGs out of it... Hope this keeps up. I use Stanadyne performance formula in every tank at the recommended ratio (200 ml/tank), this is basically a cetane and lubricity enhancer and seems to work well. I like it because you can buy it in bulk for cheap, it costs me less than $3 CAD/tank.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Fuel Ox costs ~$1.80 USD/tank, which is ~$2.16 CAD/tank. That would be for the OEM 26 gallon tank. My truck nicknamed "Turbo" will be getting his next aftermarket upgrade 10 days from now when he will have his OEM tank replaced with a Titan 48 gallon tank--I have the long bed truck which is required to support the length increase of the Titan replacement tank.

I currently drive up to NW Ontario for fishing a couple different trips in the summer, and so this Titan tank will allow me to run on lower cost MN diesel the entire time in Canada and get me home to fill up. During our retirement years which are almost here we plan to do even more trips up north over the border. I will need to take many of these trips to offset the cost of the replacement tank (and probably never get an ROI on it), but hey, everyone likes to tweak their own trucks in their own way, to each his own, and this big tank is something I want (but now seeing 30mpg highway no longer need, so it is a want!).

·
Registered
399 Posts
Just finished the very long multi-state road trip I was providing some mileage updates on: MN -> WI -> IL -> IN and back to MN. 1,155 total miles over a long weekend--21.5 hours of elapsed time in the truck, whew!

My 3.0 PS named Turbo absolutely loves to be taken for long "walks"! The last 945 miles of this trip the truck's Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) is reporting 28.3mpg as seen in the attached photo. I estimate this to be 27.5mpg actual, since the last fuel up on this trip hand calculated 0.7mpg lower than what the IPC reported.

(Just fyi for those that haven't rolled up 10,000+ on their odometers yet...I left my Trip 2 untouched since picking up my truck new, and the miles in the Trip 1/Trip 2 roll over to 0 after 9999.9.)

I had a partial trip report earlier where I was like 30.3mpg per IPC. This was dragged down 2mpg on the return leg of the trip. I did get stuck in a major road construction delay on the return--as in dead stop and go after couple minutes per stop for about 25 minutes (ASS to the rescue!), and I also found fewer semi's on the on the return to draft behind. I also did take a different route the last 200 miles.

At any rate, 27.5mpg's highway (with 3.55 rear end axle ratio) exceeds the window sticker rating of 25mpg's highway so I am very satisfied with how the truck performed on this road trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Did you keep track of the number of times it did a Regen?

Thanks...
Take a look at this thread for Regen info --> https://www.dieself150forum.com/forum/490-3-0l-v6-diesel/1860-stuck-regen.html

Specifically take a look at my last post #54 in this thread. It appears the max distance I am able to achieve between Active Regens is 300 miles, and that is using Fuel Ox additive whereby the forced Active Regen happens every 300 miles on the highway and I at that time I am only 60-65% DPF Full (because of Fuel Ox additive). I am suspecting that all of our trucks are limited to 300 miles max between Active Regens, and I believe Super Duty's max at 500 miles. I'd be really interested if anyone is able to provide a FORScan screenshot with Active Regen intervals > 300.1 miles.

With this in mind, I have to rethink the value of the Fuel Ox additive as compared to other tried additives, because it seems our trucks max out at 300 mile Active Regen intervals when Fuel Ox could have us going to ~500 mile intervals, and that is what I was hoping for. One thing is that the time and distance to Active Regen down from 60-65% Full to 0% Full is much less than coming down from 100% Full, so that is a benefit of Fuel Ox as the less time spent in Active Regen the less impact on overall mpg achieved.

More testing is needed, and I know a couple other members are now in trials on Fuel Ox, so we will have to see what their results are when posted.

Reactions: KR2018

·
Registered
264 Posts
Fuel Ox costs ~$1.80 USD/tank, which is ~$2.16 CAD/tank.
Well that is interesting! When I first looked at it it seemed really expensive, however i didn't realise that you only have to add 1/3 of an oz to a tank, so 16 oz goes a long way! With stanadyne you're adding about 7oz to each tank which isn't that convenient. Once I get through my supply of stanadyne I will definitely check this out. Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
kdjasper:

Have you considered keeping the OCR to off (or whatever keeps the active regen from kicking in) and blowing right through the 300 mile mark when the filter is indicating only 60-65 percent full? I was reading a powerstroke forum thread on the 6.7 where the author (on the open road) would blow through the 500 mile regen (on the 6.7s) when he knew the filter didn't actually need it. (On the other hand, mile 310 would be exhausting through a clean filter, so I guess that might be good, too.)

I really wish there would be the functionality in the controls for someone who knows their driving to force an active regen (even if filter not full) when the driver is taking a highway trip (lets say 20 miles) and knows he won't again for a few a few weeks.

·
Registered
399 Posts
kdjasper
Have you considered keeping the OCR to off (or whatever keeps the active regen from kicking in) and blowing right through the 300 mile mark when the filter is indicating only 60-65 percent full?
Interesting idea, and yes, that would have worked had I thought of it and did it. If I did uncheck the Auto Regen box in the Advanced Settings in the IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster) I would have been able to likely drive ~500 miles before getting to DPF 100% Full and needing to re-check the Auto Regen box to enable the Active Regen to begin. (Note: for those new to the forum you have to add OCR (Operator Commanded Regen) capability to your truck's IPC via FORScan, and I have instructions on how to do that in another thread).

So, my long road trip was 1,155 miles, but to make the math simple let's say it was 1,250 miles instead. 1,250 miles would have had 4 Active Regens if reaching the 300.1 forced Active Regen trigger. Let's assume that each of those were triggered at an average DPF 65% Full. If OCR Auto Regen box was unchecked, DPF 100% Full would have been reached every ~460 miles (300/.65), or 2 Active Regens on this trip.

From my experience, the Active Regen usually cleans down 5% every mile on average, which is why it takes ~20 miles and ~20 mins to clean down to 0% from 100% DPF Full. (I watched an informative YouTube video yesterday where for Super Duty they say Active Regen takes anywhere from 20-40 mins of driving.) During the Active Regen process, I have seen fuel economy dip down to as low as 18mpg and I have also seen as high as 23mpg when it happens (on this recent trip).

The first approach with 4 Active Regens @ DPF 65% Full would equate to ~52 miles of the trip spent in a lower fuel economy state (13 miles per regen * 4 regens).

The second approach with 2 Active Regens @ DPF 100% Full would equate to ~40 miles of the trip spent in lower fuel economy state (20 miles per regen * 2 regens). Of course, once you got home from the trip 460*3 = 1,380 you would only be 130 miles max away (or less) from the next regen.

52-40 = 12 fewer miles on a 1,250 mile road trip spent in Active Regen. Let's say that those miles were sacrificing 5 mpg's, with 25 mpg not in regen and 20 mpg in regen. Those 12 miles not in regen would have used 0.48 gallons of fuel (12 miles / 25 mpg), and those 12 miles in regen would have used 0.60 gallons of fuel (12 miles /20 mpg).

So, if I did all this math correct, the savings of using OCR Auto Regen controls to stretch out the Active Regen cycles to ~460 miles instead of the forced Active Regens at 300 miles would have been 0.60 gallons - 0.48 gallons = 0.12 gallons of fuel @ $3/gallon = $0.36 cents of fuel savings here to have manually stretched out the Active Regen cycles.

Given that math, if I did it correctly, may explain why Ford is just forcing the 3.0 PS into Active Regen every 300 miles regardless of DPF % Full.

This response is sort of a crossover to the "Stuck in regen???" thread, so although I am not a fan of posting duplicate in multiple threads, I am going to also post the above in that thread as well in case someone is reading there instead of here, since @snowshew presented such an interesting question here.

·
Registered
399 Posts
KdJasper,

I did not see what vehicle you have? Do you have a 4X2 truck? If you are a 4x4 and getting close to 30MPG I am impressed. Keep up the good work.

Close to taking the plunge into the 4x4 platinum. Fingers crossed!
My truck, although I think you figured it out:

2018 Ford F-150 King Ranch FX4 3.0L Power Stroke 4x4, Long Bed & Trailer Tow Mirrors | Spray-in & Wheel Well Liners & BAKFlip CS/F1 & BAKFlip BakBox 2

Also I have 3.55 rear axle ratio.

I have 10,745 miles on the odometer and by the truck instrument panel my mpg average over those miles is 22.2 mpg, which means 21.x mpg. I did buy my truck the day before Thanksgiving, so about 8,000 of those miles were on winterized diesel along with remote start cold weather warm ups that reduced my fuel economy. With summer diesel, on the highway while on cruise control and under good driving conditions (e.g., smooth road, no strong headwind, etc.) my truck consistently reports 25-30 mpg's.

I was disappointed that the EPA rating for this truck was 20 city, 25 hwy, 22 combined, when the initial hype was 30mpg hwy for the F150 diesel--of course they failed to advertise that was for the 4x2 and not the 4x4.

I am very happy with the fuel economy of this F150 diesel truck. I know for a fact that I am getting 4-5mpg better than my 2010 KR 5.4 in all driving situations, and probably getting 4-5mpg better than any of the current F150 engine options available.

Of course it's not all about fuel economy. I am looking forward to towing my boat up to Ontario Canada this summer and pulling it up all the hills between Fort Frances and Dryden, where my old 5.4 would be huffing and puffing at 3500-4000 rpm's and noticeably downshifting to pull up those hills. I am expecting this 3.0 to silently downshift to 8th, possibly 7th, and climb those hills without the huge spike up in rpm's.

The last two paragraphs sums up the target market for this truck, those that want to achieve higher fuel economy and higher fuel economy while towing. I have towed about 350-400 miles with my truck so far with impressive fuel economy while towing. I will be doing a lot more boat towing through the summer months, so will post some updates to share those experiences.

This is my second King Ranch. The Platinum is a really nice truck too, I just had to have another KR despite liking the color options available on the Platinum better (Ignot Silver was my choice of colors for the Platinum). @Meisterics good luck with your Platinum 3.0 PS purchase decision and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also tow a fiberglass boat, nearing 5,000lbs including trailer. My 4.6 while trailering gets around 10.5-11.5 depending on how you treat her. I see no reason to get an Ecoboost as the mileage is worse.

I know you are running fuel ox and believe that has contributed to your success. Would you say your driving habits have given a greater gains in the MPG’s?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I know you are running fuel ox and believe that has contributed to your success. Would you say your driving habits have given a greater gains in the MPG’s?
Yes. I'm entering into my mid-50's now, and so I don't drive like a bat out of "h-e-double hockey sticks" like I used to.

I have noticed a drop in fuel economy as cruising speed increases.

In my younger days I was the guy zooming down the highway at speed limit + 9. Now, I am the guy glancing in my rear view mirror and merging over into the right lane to let my former self fly by me as I now have the cruise control set at the speed limit, and sometimes end up going slower than that when pacing behind slower traffic with the adaptive cruise control.

I also anticipate stops better then I used to, of course that is made easier these days by the flashing warnings on the side of the road informing that the next light is about to change red. In the past I might have came up on these situations by speeding up and trying to make it through before the light turns red. Now, I take the foot off the pedal and coast into the stop.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts