Diesel F150 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi guys I just finished my first small trip
Around 800 miles round trip kc to lake texahoma first half interstate 2nd 4 lane highway through about 20 towns stoplights and all. First quarter I was close to 25 (I have been averaging almost 24 around kc area living on interstate)
Then 2nd quarter it started going down I believe a headwind was to blame average back to around 23
After all the towns and stopping at most of the stoplights was 22 was pretty disappointed I used cruise most of the way
But then on way back tailwind of course it started climbing
I reset with 50 miles of 4 lane left and even with cities 32 plus omg
Then 50 miles at 80 w/Oklahoma side wind it came back down but nice drive in Missouri heading north finished with a 28 average I'm pretty happy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Picked up my 2019 F150 Powerstroke 4X2 in Toronto on June the 8th and drove it home to Windsor, Ontario, A little over 3 hours away and got 32.3 MPG !!!!!!!!! Didn't have a lid on the box yet either. That's Honda mileage. Couldn't be HAPPIER !!!!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm looking forward to the GDE tune becoming available for the F150 3.0.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the option to tow my boat two days consecutive for a total of 130 miles. Mostly freeway with some up and down hills. My boat and trailer weighs almost 5,000lbs and was able to achieve 15.75mpg(hand calculated). That’s about 4.5 better than my 4.6l and I think kicking the ecoboost’s butt. Good bye gas!

4X4 platinum with 6.5 box and 3.55 gears.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I had the option to tow my boat two days consecutive for a total of 130 miles. Mostly freeway with some up and down hills. My boat and trailer weighs almost 5,000lbs and was able to achieve 15.75mpg(hand calculated). That’s about 4.5 better than my 4.6l and I think kicking the ecoboost’s butt. Good bye gas!

4X4 platinum with 6.5 box and 3.55 gears.
How fast were you driving that you only got 15.75 mpg? I know there are other variables such as wind, and you mentioned rolling hills, and I am not saying that 15.75 hand calculated is bad, just thinking you could maybe get another 1-3 mpg's better.

My truck is 4x4 King Ranch with 6.5 box and 3.55 gears and I just towed my boat several hundred miles last weekend ~4,500lbs and I was able to achieve 18-19 mpg (not hand calculated). I should note that I am using The Fuel Ox additive.

Just like when not towing, I have noticed mpg drops as speed increases. If I drive 55-60 mph while towing my boat I can get ~20 mpg by truck computer, and as I increase to 65-70+ mph it drops several mpg's. When towing, I basically just set the cruise control at whatever speed limit is on the road and drive in the right lane so others can fly on by.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Towing speed between 65-70. Seems to almost always be in 8th or 9th gear and I am tow haul mode. My computer said I was getting 15.1. Frankly I don’t trust the computer.

I am at 2300 miles and not running any additive. After a few miles have passed I was going to give fuel ox a try to see if there is an improvement.

While recently taking a road trip(non towing) I sort of felt that my vehicle achieved better fuel mileage at 70-73 than 60-65. I say that because the 30 min interval chart was suggesting so. Open to thoughts and ideas

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mileage Report for 2018 Lariat 4x4

We picked up our new 2018 Lariat 4 x4 on Friday. Details on the build are on my introductory post and another post earlier today. It had about 280 miles on it because our local dealer drove it (dealer transfer) from Davenport, IA to Madison, WI. We did about 20 miles of mixed driving immediately after picking it up from the dealer. Today we did a roughly 525 mile round trip road trip today so that we could be able to reach 1000 miles before our first tow next weekend. Here are the mpg reports from the truck's computer.

1. Ave MPG over all 820 miles on odometer: 25.0. Estimated city/highway ratio 15/85.

2. Ave MPG over roughly 550 miles since pick up: 25.8. Estimated city/highway ratio: 10/90

3. Ave MPG on 525 road trip today. I forgot to write down the mpg on drive up there but it was, I think, between 25 and 26. Had a head wind due to some storms part of the way and tail gate was up. On the drive home, trip computer average was 26.9 and there was less wind. We live in WI so there are some hills but no mountains, and it was relatively flat today. Target speed was about 70 mpg on interstate and about 62 on rural highways. Drove a bit on Normal mode but mainly on Eco and used cruise. As a break in strategy, on some of exits and short highway sections, I revved it up a bit but never came close to going all out.

4. Overall, I am quite pleased by these mpg results on a diesel engine with about 820 miles on it. Our 2018 Ridgeline got 27-28 mpg with a tonneau cover driving 70-73 mpg on interstate. We only had that truck for two months but then decided to trade it in on our diesel F150 when we realized it could not pull the 2000 lbg travel trailer we bought, which is why we got a truck in the first place. The tranny fluid got too hot on first tow and our mpg dropped to about 12 mpg. We also have a 2017 Honda CRV. We can get close to 30 on highway (70-73 mpg) but would usually get 26-27 with a Kuat Enve hitch bike rack attached. We never tested the Ridgeline with the bike rack on but I expect mileage would have been 22-25 mpg. I'll post report after next weekend, when we will tow our travel trailer.

Happy trails.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hand calculated / Fillup app vs Truck , since dealer tank at purchase.. I am averaging 23.1 mpg per the app and 25.0 per the truck. Truck has just shy of 4k on it. There seems to be a small gap there... all stock with a folding vinyl tonneau. 50/50 backroads / highway mix.

·
Registered
2018 Ford F-150 Powerstroke diesel King Ranch
95 Posts
Okay, I have another mileage update to share...

Just drove 1.5 hours after my last fuel up with KwikTrip Premium Diesel, with just a touch over 1/4 ounce Fuel Ox additive to this and the prior tank. ~90% highway driving 60-70mph, with less than 10 miles of it being under 50mph city driving with a few stoplights I had to stop for. As you can see in the attached screenshot, truck computer is reporting 31.0mpg, but from my hand calculation experience that equates to 30.0mpg for my truck. I was at 31.4mpg when I exited off the interstate to drive 5 city miles home and got stopped at about 4 stoplights in that stretch. Another interesting point is that this was with Standard Drive Mode as I always forget to switch it into Eco Drive Mode, so there would have been potential for even greater mpg's on this run.

I think this Fuel Ox additive is the real deal! I noticed a difference in acceleration when coming down the onramp to merge into 70mph traffic, so I think Fuel Ox is providing a boost in engine performance as it states it would do. I also can state that Fuel Ox seems to have improved mpg's, as well as reduce soot output as I am 210 miles past my last active regen and Exhaust Filter 35% Full, so at this pace if I were to keep going down the highway I would have likely experienced a forced active regen at 500 miles by the truck (at least I read that is what happens with our big brother Power Strokes). One thing that I almost missed, is that DPF got to ~20-25% Full from 0% and then went into a passive regen back down to 10% at about 100 miles past 0%--this must have been Fuel Ox causing this difference in behavior, because I have never seen DPF % drop during passive regen and have only noticed it creeps upward very slowly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CGFCJGW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.fuelox.com/product/fuel-ox/

Now that I have my truck getting a range of 723 miles per tank on the highway, my Ford dealer called me and said that my 48 gallon Titan replacement tank had arrived and to call to schedule a time for the install. Whew! That replacement tank will give me a highway cruising range of > 1,300 miles at this level of fuel economy.

Another change I made 1,000 miles ago was my first oil change with Rotella T6 5W-40, so I can't rule out that Rotella is benefiting my fuel economy as well (but hey, isn't that FA-4 stuff supposed to rock the mpg's?).

At any rate, I am getting more in love with my truck every month that goes by. I held onto my 2010 F150 5.4 KR until refreshing to this 2018 3.0 KR, and with our diesel in Minnesota now only running 15-20 cents higher than regular unleaded I am smiling knowing that I would have got nowhere close to these mpg's in any half ton V8 gasser. And, I am also getting 20-25 mpg's towing 18' fiberglass boats around, which was another main reason I went with the diesel over a V8.

Happy Days!

Two-wheel drive truck, right?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 4x4 Lariat F-150 with Moon Roof and Technology package. This is a trip from Gainesville to Palm Beach with average of 66mph. I use ECO-Mode on the driving mode for the highway. If your truck's manufacturer gives you an economy driving mode for mileage, definitely worth the use. I could have gone higher with the mpg if I had started the measurement in gainesville. this is actually just for the miles shown on the dash for this part of the trip after I fueled up. I would imagine 28 or 29 would be possible. My actual mileage was 27.4mpg. This is with a tonneau cover (hard) and a truck full of luggage for the trip.
Hey I looking at purchasing one, have you had any problems with your truck? And how many miles have you been able to put on it with no trouble.

·
Registered
13 Posts
After resetting the trip odometer a few times I believe best mileage is from 45- 55 mph easily 30 to 35 mpg
55-65 gonna drop to 28,
65 -75 down to 26
Over 75 down to 23
But when you think about it a 5.0 or a 3.5 EcoBoost only 17 to 20 at best
More realistic is 14 to 17
Now a 6.7 diesel in a high geared f-250
17 to 22
Just not as good of a ride
Bottom line if you want to drive and have fun mpg going down and it's not fords fault it's your lead foot lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
Lower than expected mileage

I purchased an '18 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 with the 3.0 powerstroke just before christmas and have not achieved the expected mpg or numbers similar to what you guys are reporting.
So far I have about 1200 miles on the truck with an average of 20.9mpg. I'd say 80% of my commute is highway not during rush hour and I travel 75-80mph. Daily commute is 20miles each way.

My average has plateaued at 20.9 despite resetting the trip computer. I use cruise control when I can and don't live in a hilly area. I have had a soft tonneau cover on the bed for the past 500miles. No other mods to the truck.

Any thoughts?
Put a K&N stock replacement filter in and run Fords cetane booster in it I have just cracked 10k and its running better and better

·
Registered
50 Posts
I love the adaptive cruise control as well.

My hand calculated mpg is 19.94 in my first 3706.1 miles (truck computer reporting 21.1). My best has been in my first 700 miles I hand calculated 23.29 on a 1/2 tank fill up. After my most recent fill up I drove home about 18 miles from that and truck computer said 28.6 mpg, and there have been times in the Fuel History graphs where I have been 30 mpg for several consecutive bars, so I know the truck is capable. I just think the winter blend diesel up here is killing the mpg's.

I look at it this way, my 2010 F150 King Ranch would be getting me about 13.5-14 mpg right now on winter gas, so I am happy right now averaging about 20 with the Diesel.

I am looking forward to having the engine break in period complete (but not sure anyone knows the time or mileage duration on that) and getting past winter blend diesel. I did find one station that specifically said on the pump #2 diesel and to go to the big rig pumps to get winter blend diesel. So once this Polar Vortex passes I am going to go try that fuel (with some Power Service additive for anti-gel protection) and see if my mpg's improve on that tank.

I have also noticed that my best mpg on the Fuel History graph appears once the engine is fully warmed up after a fair amount of driving.

Bottom line is that I love this truck, and have trust that once I get into summer diesel fuel that my mpg's will improve into the expected range. I do have 3.55 gears and the big tow mirrors on mine, and have been thinking they are probably costing me 1.0-1.5 mpg's as I would suspect the EPA ratings were on standard mirrors with 3.31 gears in the rear axle. (Those tow mirrors sure look like they would create a lot of wind drag).

One other thing worth mentioning is that my DFF regens have been happening about every 325 miles (+/-) like clockwork since I started paying attention to them, so that means that every tank I am calculating mpg's on includes at least 1 if not 2 twenty mile regen cycles at 17-18 mpg's during those miles.
since I owned my 2019 I have put Fords cetane additive in every tank the least MPG I get in city is 21.7 all the time I get 536 to 560 miles per tank try it I get a discount and buy it by the case ,regens will be less often and your truck will run better.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Older thread, but same topic. I'm on a long cross country trip in my 2021 F150 Lariat Supercrew, FX4, no cap or tonneau cover, tailgate is up. It has 15,800 miles on it. So far, I've found that I get 30 MPG if I hold it to 70 MPH on interstates across the midwest. That's computed by measuring the amount of fuel it takes to refill the tank after driving almost a full tank of distance, and then dividing the miles by the gallons. If I go up to around 75 MPH, it drops to about 28 MPG.

I'm very pleased with those numbers. I've also observed that the computer display tends to be about 2 MPG optimistic.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts