Diesel F150 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ford F-150 Diesel
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen an alternative oil equivalent to the f-150 diesel oil specs? All I can find is Alts for the super duties. I hate going to the dealer for an over priced oil change and don’t trust the quick lubes to be using the correct oil.

·
Super Moderator
805 Posts
Shell Rotella T6 available at every walmart, auto parts store, gas station, etc.

Reactions: mascrappo

·
Registered
54 Posts
Jdbronco..
Did you buy your 3.0 at the local Auto Nation in PC..
I'm also was curious is T6 is fine to use.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Phillips 66 I’m sure is the manufacture of Kendall in the US. I would think Phillips 66 FA-4 5w30 should be available to find

·
Registered
47 Posts
Jdbronco..
T6 works perfect! I am on my second change using T6 5-40. You can get 3 gallon case on amazon for like 60$.

Reactions: mascrappo

·
Registered
30 Posts
Jdbronco..
No I found it used online. Too pricey to buy new in my opinion. Are you in the area?

I'll probably just stick with the T6 since it's easy to find and meets the heavy use recommendations in the manual. Gonna need to change mine in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Oh cool, you make the 4th local diesel I know of then. The other two live down the street from me.

Back on the oil subject, I think I had found T5 in the FA-4 but after listening to Ford and using 5w-20 in my '04 I don't necessarily trust their recommendation on oil. They seem to care more about MPG than longevity. I'll stick with the T6 CK-4 since that is recommended for severe duty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did a lot of research on what oil to use, after ford quoted me 160 to change it and rotate my tires, the dealer wanted 13 dollars a quart the 3l diesel requires 7 quarts. I found the oil filters online at diesel filters.com for 5+/- dollars a piece, while I was ordering I ordered a fuel filter kit for 60 dollars it included both filters for the engine and remotely by the tank. I finally ordered a case of the recommended ford oil from ebay for 89.99 which equals 7.50 a quart so between the filters and the oil my oil change with all motorcraft parts/pieces totalled out to be around 60 bucks. I was advised against using aftermarket oils as it's too thick and doesn't meet the viscosity requirements for the f150

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Shell T6 5W-40 CK-4 does meet the viscosity requirements for the F-150. It meets the "severe duty/biodiesel" requirements, not the standard duty which is really just for fuel economy numbers. I just picked up 3 gallons (12 quarts) for $55.

·
Registered
120 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
They only have it in 55 gallon drums. He thinks they will have it in quarts sometime after the first of the year.
Ok yeah that is what I was finding too. Glad to hear they plan on rolling it out to the public soon. I will keep my eye out for it as the specs look good.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Shell Rotella T6, every Walmart has it and it meets "severe duty" as well as biodiesel use specs...straight out of the Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use Amsoil in everything I own and have for years. My dealer does the Works for $24 if I supply my oil. Why they want so much for the service on a diesel is beyond me. I try to change it every 5000 miles and have 24370 on the clock.

This trip, according to the Ford miscalculator I am getting 26.2 for the last 800 miles using the econo mode.

·
Registered
16 Posts
FYI, I just got a quote from a local Chevron dealer who carries the "Delo 400 XSP-FA 5W-30 (Synthetic) with ISOSYN Advanced Technology" (this is the oil from your link that meets the Ford spec). He told me it would cost $118.05 for a 3 gallon case. That’s a lot more expensive then the Ford dealer charges for the recommended Motorcraft oil. I'll stick to the Motorcraft oil for now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts