Diesel F150 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a 2019 F-150 3.0 Turbodiesel with just over 10K miles. I love the truck and could not be happier. This past holiday weekend I did a lot of towing. About 600 miles with various trailers and loads. Most was highway. On the way home with a small trailer load of an ATV, the truck seemed to lose power and could not maintain cruise control on light grades at 75 mph. It would down shift to 6th gear and could not keep speed. I would have to intervene and press the pedal to the floor. Later in the day with an empty trailer the truck threw an MIL. I scanned with ForScan and found it was a P2457 - EGR Cooler A Efficiency Below Threshold. I cleared it and it returned the next day after about 75 miles of driving with a trailer load of 4000#. I cleared it and took it to work today without the trailer and it returned again after about 75 miles of driving. ForScan photos attached. It does not seem that the truck is lacking power anymore but Im not sure if the two events are related. I haven’t taken any of my vehicles to a dealer in my 25 years of driving and would like to keep that streak going. Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Mike
New Milford, CT

Attachments

·
DieselF150Forum.com Vendor
18 Posts
Most likely the EGR cooler by-pass might have an issue or maybe Ford needs to refine the calibration at that operating point. The freeze frame data is missing the most important info for diagnosis, most OEMs do not do a good job with the freeze frame data they capture. It would have been more useful to see EGR valve duty cycle%, by-pass position, egr inlet temps and egr outlet temps. Then we could determine if the cooler is actually a problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My truck was acting the same way you described. I pull a #4000 trailer almost every day for work and had to shift manually on the way home one day just to keep up with traffic. No check engine light came on. Next day with no trailer, check engine light came on in first 5 miles. I took it to the dealer on June 15th and didn’t get it back till July 9th. They told me it was the EGR
9D2BC487-C36A-41FD-8DFF-ED03AFC87CF1.jpeg
cooler and the part was back ordered! What didn’t set well with me was they give me a Ford Fiesta as a loaner...I told them it needed a hitch!! I hope you have better luck than me if you take it in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply. It seems like that might be the case. Hopefully I can find a reputable dealer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same code P2457. I have a 2019 3.0l with 18,000 km now. it started doing it around 14,000 km mark. Im a big truck diesel mechanic (i dont have forscan) but what i think it is is because we cant see regen percentage on my dash i think my short 25 minute commutes isnt enough time for a burnoff. I think its about to burn off but i turn truck off. I only do it because i cant hear or tell if its regenning. Im also waiting for a part thats back ordered. Dealer calling it a egr actuator. I clear my code daily because it doesnt go into full limp mode but when the CEL light come son its definitely more gutless.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I finally broke down and took the truck to the dealer over the weekend. In driving the truck last week, the same issues kept occurring with the P2457 error and poor performance. Also, during one day last week another code came in with the P2457, it was P2458 - EGR Cooler Bypass Control Range/Performance. Hopefully I will hear something in the next day or so from the dealer. I will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was informed yesterday by the dealer that they will be replacing the EGR Cooler. Should have the part today and I might have the truck back tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed that it solves the problem.

·
Administrator
479 Posts
@Bucsfan552 - would be interested in some digital pics of the old EGR cooler and By-pass valve assembly...

Specifically looking for:
1. If you lost any screws (FSA 18E02 on early 2018 models) on the EGR by-pass valve/flap
2. If you have significant carbon/gunk build-up within the EGR cooler passages
especially for those owners "flying-blind" without DPF Full % exposed via FORScan & not actively managing regens.

Can you ask your Service Manager if you can snap pics of the removed parts that were replaced?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got my truck back on Friday. It was actually ready on Tuesday but due to the hurricane here on the East coast the dealer had no power for 2 days. The EGR cooler assembly was replaced due to intermittent linkage operation according to the technician's troubleshooting. I drove the truck approximately 250 miles this weekend with half of that towing a large dump trailer. Everything seems to be back to normal. No more MIL's and no issues with power or limp mode. I was told that the cooler assembly had to be sent back to Ford as it was a warranty item and they did not have any photos to show any build up. The repair makes sense as the symptoms of power loss were intermittent. Attached are photos of the repair report. Hope this information is helpful for others.

Attachments

·
Administrator
479 Posts
@Bucsfan552 - thanks for the follow-up and good to hear you are back in business. Thank you for trying to get some pics but I understand with COVID and the hurricane that flew up the East Coast that the timing prevented this.

Not sure how you get "intermittent linkage operation" on something mechanical, but I know others have had issues with the EGR By-pass valve solenoid which drives the mechanical linkage. Would have been interested to see if any carbon build up was getting in the way of proper linkage operation, but I would think the tech would have commented as such. Just trying to get an idea when we should expect EGR By-pass valve issues due to carbon build up; e.g. 30K? 60K? 100K?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just had the same problem with the EGR cooler not operating pulling a low hauler 18' trailer with 4 motorcycles 6500lb and 4 people in the truck 1100mi one way.
Problem started around 600 mi into the trip, power de-rated. Switch to manual shifting to gain power to pull hills.

Took it in and the cooler was replaced. Hope this is not going to be a continuing problem 9600 mi on the truck and 5000+ has been towing.
Shout out to Scott Peterson Ford in Sturgis SD for getting me back on the road!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts