Diesel F150 Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
@mcarlo86 you could be right. It’s a newer station that also sells REC 90...not sure of brand of fuel

i use this station and one other regularly as they sell the cheapest and easiest on my typical grind

·
Administrator
878 Posts
@FUGAZI - From the PowerService Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost website:
What is +Cetane Boost? Cetane is a powerful energy compound that improves the ignition quality of fuel. There is a direct relationship between a diesel fuel’s cetane number and its ignition point. The lower the cetane number, the longer the ignition delay.Fuels with high cetane numbers burn more quickly and more completely, resulting in smoother and quieter running engines, quicker engine starts, more power and improved fuel economy. In fact, The Engine Manufacturers Association (EMA) states, “Fuels with low cetane numbers will cause hard starting, rough operation, noise and exhaust smoke. Generally, diesel engines will operate better on fuels with cetane numbers above 50 compared to fuels with cetane numbers of the national average of 46.”
Raising the Cetane level in diesel improves the combustibility of the fuel, similar to adding an Octane booster to gasoline fuel. You won't be able to raise the cetane level of 25+ gallons of diesel very much with an 8 oz or 16 oz bottle, but it's meant to be a booster to give you a little better fuel economy.

While the Cetane component probably helped, I think the "Kleen" component probably had more to do with your improvement. While your issue was somewhat derailed by the asphaltene revelation (great find by @hydrex!) I'm still convinced you have a fuel quality issued based on your 2nd post:
Draining fuel, the original 50-60% was very clean, then it started to get very dark and dirty.
While the asphaltene is what probably plugged your original filter, I don't think fuel should ever be as "dark and dirty" as you described in your tank = you need a fuel additive with some form of cleaning component to remediate any darkness or dirtiness of the fuel in your tank.

Given your success above, I hope you are planning on more tank treatments with a diesel fuel additive before changing the fuel filters again? If your engine is running so rough that it's messing with the transmission shifting, then I hope I have made you a believer now.

Reactions: hydrex

·
Registered
243 Posts
whatever Cetane does, it’s the real deal snake oil.
Thank you @jmperlik for your previous posts and sharing knowledge.
Yup! It's like the opposite of Octane, it helps the fuel burn more readily and therefore also cleaner with less soot. I add it to every tank. The minimum cetane level in the US of 40 isn't good enough.

·
Registered
2019 XLT SuperCrew 3.0 PS
34 Posts
I think I would look at getting fuel at a different location for a while also and see if that helps. Discount diesel fuel isn’t going to save you money it appears.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
I waited to change my fuel filters until 30k per the book. I bought them on time but got busy. Hit ~32k miles and truck started running poorly and shifting rough.....mileage dropped off by about 35% as well. Changed my filters now everything is great immediately ...must of been all the dirt and sludge in the frame filter! Going to order another set not for the shelf and do them ~300 hours.
Pleased that the fuel frame filter shares the same large socket as the oil filter...

I have heard the other fluid service intervals should be shortened....it’s all the same fluids I grew up with, and same machinery just more computers/sensors....not sure why they think technology would extended the life of consumables
I had my fuel filter changed at 15,000, and I am sure it helps my mpg on a recent trip to Pennsylvania, I did hit 28 mpg, but I did not take my phone out for the picture so we will live with the 27 mpg, I keep forgetting to put the truck in ECO drive . I stopped somewhere in MD to top off my tank and I ran the truck for the 4 days I stayed there in Pa and filled up somewhere in NC on the way back.,

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a great luxury of having my own bulk tank. My supplier tells me the cetane of every batch. Lowest has been 48 and highest was 54. I still use Hot Shots EDT for every fill up. 110,000 miles on my Ecodiesel. These modern high tech diesels (Ford, GM and Ram) were designed for 50 cetane fuel, at least from my understanding. Diesel pumps in North America really should require to post minimum cetane. No different than gas pumps having octane numbers. About 5% of the 2014-2019 Ram/Jeep Ecodiesels experienced bearing failures. I believe detonation from crap fuel contributed. Didn't hear of many failures in Europe. I believe the London taxicabs use the same motor= VM Motori . Europe mandates 50 cetane fuel. We should get the same!

·
Administrator
878 Posts
I will get pics of my next/second filter change at 30K (which may be a couple months) and post back to this thread. I encourage other DIYers (@Dunrollin I'm looking to you!) to post their change interval and pics of what their filters look like at that interval, along with if they are using any diesel fuel additives. I think by doing this we can crowd-source visual definitions/references of what "dirty" and "plugged" filters look like.
I stumbled across Post #20 in this older 3.0 Fuel Filter Replacement thread where @Dunrollin did post a pic of his large fuel filter on his last fuel filter change:

This is how I would expect a correctly working filter to look with no fuel quality issues
= white paper has turned a golden or straw color (not asphaltene black)
= brighter orange zig-zag is glue line/seam on the filter paper
= this is what I hope mine looks like later this month

Starting to wonder what could cause heavier asphaltene build up in some members' vehicles beyond just filter change frequency...

@Dunrollin - do you remember your approximate mileage when you did your fuel filters?

·
Super Moderator
596 Posts
Yes, I am on a 15,000 mile interval, at 21000 right now so another 9,000 or so. Already have filters on hand. Thanks!

·
Administrator
878 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
@hydrex - are you using the FuelOx specifically for reducing Asphaltene (FuelOx Asphaltenes) or the all-purpose formula in your bulk tank?

They started blogging about this 2018: The New Fuel Contaminant: Asphaltenes
jmperlik, I treated a 275 gallon tank with Fuel Ox , now the tank is about 50% full. I recently changed oil and filter and fuel filter. 10,000 miles on oil and 10,000 miles on the fuel filter. Now, maybe only 5,000 miles were with the Fuel Ox and I have always used the NAPA Gold fuel filters. 2 observations: First, the filter was not as black as usual, maybe half as black. Second , the NAPA filter showed a few pleats bagged out, never had seen that before, but another Ecodiesel owner mentioned that happening with the NAPA filters! I put in a MOPAR filter that I found on ebay. It does look like a better design than the NAPA one. Seems like the Fuel Ox did reduce the asphaltenes. Honestly, I think changing your fuel filter more often is the best idea. I used to go 30,000 miles, now I'm going to go 10,000 miles, just do it at every oil change. Only takes a couple minutes. I did not see any change in mpgs with Fuel Ox, but it typically is around 27.5 winter and 30 mpg rest of year. If you do try Fuel Ox, a little goes a long way!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have been trying to compare mpg's with the Fuel OX vs what I got before, but usually I end up towing at some point before empty. Finally, got to run a tank with out towing and It does seem a tad better, just under 32 mpg! That included 1 regen that happened about 700 miles into the tank. 4x4 CC Ecodiesel with 3:92's and GDE tune and 112,000 mi. 1oz of Hot Shot's EDT per 26 gallon tank as well.

·
Administrator
878 Posts
Here's what my rear frame-mounted screw-in filter looks like at 30K miles:
  • Currently on a 15K mile fuel filter change interval
  • Running mix of Standayne Performance & Lubricity Formulas every fill-up
  • I remembered to turn on my flash this time!

Overall I'm happy with how things look:
  • Filter media is a little darker "golden" brown than I was expecting, but filter was soaking wet
  • Looks similar to @Dunrollin's change at 15K miles in Post #28 above
  • Single orange zig-zag is seam/glue line
  • No signs of the black "asphaltene" build-up seen by some forum members
Based on above, I'll be sticking with my current fuel treatment regiment and 15K filter change interval.

·
Administrator
878 Posts
... I am going to do fuel filters at my next oil change and end of summer and will post my fuel filter pics…..
@FUGAZI - OK, it's officially the end of the summer, so inquiring minds & eyes want to see some pics!

If anything I'm keeping you to your word/mileage so you don't forget/procrastinate this time around... :oops:

21 - 36 of 36 Posts