Diesel F150 Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

· Super Moderator
760 Posts
Just changed mine 2021 at 20k miles. pretty close to black definitely dirty . I used Doc's Diesel kit. I noticed their upper filter is plastic vice metal. . Frame mount filter had a second green smaller o ring around the insert end where the factory one did not ?
I got a Ford primary filter out and it has 3 green orings, one is visible at the base area and the other two are on the drain valve and are not visible unless it is unscrewed. Are one of these the second one you mentioned?

Newspaper Automotive tire Font Camera lens Line

· Registered
2021 F-150 XLT 3.0L Diesel Rapid Red / Saddle interior
24 Posts
Doc's "filters" are cheap plastic knockoff junk. I wouldn't trust them to keep my engine running and my fuel system safe. Saving a few bucks by going with doc's instead of a known quality brand could end up costing you thousands in the long run.
What is a known quality brand ? The Motorcraft kit ?

· Administrator
995 Posts
Is Doc's just reselling same Ecogard filters available on Amazon? Ecogard Fuel Filters - Quality?

Trying to find a very old thread where the topic of Chinese knock-off also came up, when someone told me I could get them cheaper than what I offered an owner for buying out his New-Old-Stock

· Registered
2021 F-150 XLT 3.0L Diesel Rapid Red / Saddle interior
24 Posts
Is Doc's just reselling same Ecogard filters available on Amazon? Ecogard Fuel Filters - Quality?

Trying to find a very old thread where the topic of Chinese knock-off also came up, when someone told me I could get them cheaper than what I offered an owner for buying out his New-Old-Stock

I did find this when I just did a search
Doc's Diesel Fuel Filters are made in Taiwan. Doc's Air, Oil, and Cabin Air filters are made in China.

· Administrator
995 Posts
I found the old discussion I was remembering = was a DM/conversation rather than a public thread

Summary of that DM/conversation:
  • If you see a "P" in front of the FD4627, then it is after-market
    • Smaller filter in MicroGard PFD4627 Kit is grey plastic
      • Smaller filter in OEM Motorcraft FD4627 is metal/steel
    • PFD4627 is MicroGard filter sold at:
      • Doc's
        • Their website page is careful not to use the term OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer)
      • O'Reilly Auto Parts (see below)
        • They actually carry both Ford Motorcraft FD4627 and MicroGard PFD4726
        • Ironically the MicroGard PFD4726 is significantly more expensive
      • Assuming Amazon is same source
  • Owner/Forum member who bought thru Doc's and contacted me
    • indicated the filter came in a Motorcraft box/packaging
  • All of the above are clear indicators of Chinese knock-offs
    • Kinda surprised Ford has not gone after them for counterfeiting MotorCraft packaging
    • I'd steer clear of this PFD4627 MicroGard Kit based their faking the MotorCraft packaging = bad news
Font Camera accessory Camera Camera lens Cameras & optics

Reactions: STIAJW

· Registered
8 Posts
I bought a 32mm socket at Habor Freight for around $7 and ground a spot for the bump on the frame filter. No issues at all with either filter swap. I did buy my kit from the dealer for just over $100

I plan to do 15k mile fuel filter changes… every 3rd oil change. I found the filter changes to be pretty simple. I let the truck sit overnight drained the frame filter, that was about a quart or so. The engine filter did leak some unwanted fuel on top of the engine, so I’ll use rags next time.
Also the Fordpass app has a maintenance menu you can add owner maintenance with a spot for photos, I take photos of my receipts and add them.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts