Diesel F150 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has likely been debated before but I have 2019 F150 Diesel with 159,000 kms for almost 99,000 miles.
I just had my first repair with a front axle seal leaking. Dealer replaced at cost of $350 and tried to charge me for it. I told him the powertrain warranty was good for 160,000kms on the F150 diesels. He looked it up and said sorry you are right we dont have a lot of these trucks come in and reversed the charge.
Good news is that the warranty goes until 160,000 kms, bad news is that I will be out of warranty in a few days.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm glad to hear that they covered the repair. In the United States, the warranty appears a bit different. There is a 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty regardless of engine type and then a separate 5 year/100,000 mile warranty for the diesel engine itself.

Also, it's nice to get feedback from people with little to report. I see a lot of posts from people with engines that have blown up or who have had turbos fail. Less common are the posts where owners state that they are exiting their warranty period without any serious issues. I am personally at 69,000 miles, having added 11,000 miles in the past month alone. Only warranty issue on file was an EGR cooler around 18,000 miles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah this thing has been the best F150 I have owned, had a 1999, 2003, 2013, and 2016. That is the only thing I have fixed, so only costs to drive it have been oil changes and a few fuel filters. Amazingly I still have original brakes and tires. However I do have snows so likely only 90,000 kms on the original tires. Not sure how the brakes haven't worn out yet but I do a lot of hwy driving, don't do a lot of fast stops and starts and do a brake service once a year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like you guys got much better warranties than I did. My base warranty is 3yrs/60 000kms, and I'm pretty sure that's the end of it, engine, powertrain, and all of it ends right away. Or am I missing something? Didn't vehicles used to have something like 3yr-60000km bumper to bumper warranty, and then something like 100 000kms powertrain after that? Mines a 2018 F150. Purchased it late in 2019, that's why my warranty is up in a month or so here in 2022. Has 50 000kms on it right now.

·
Super Moderator
715 Posts
Not sure about Canada but here is the 2018 Warranty.

Font Parallel Number

Of interest is the 5 year 100,000 miles powerstroke diesel engine warranty. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not sure about Canada but here is the 2018 Warranty.

View attachment 2722

Of interest is the 5 year 100,000 miles powerstroke diesel engine warranty. Hope this helps.
Thanks Dunrollin, for this. I dug this part of the warranty up and yeah I was actually surprised at the part about 5yr/100 000mi warranty for the diesel engine. I had no idea about that, and I know for certain the dealership sales guy and the service shop never ever mentioned this. I'm going to go there soon and ask them what they know about this part of the warranty because like I said, they just mentioned the 3yr/60 000kms (which seems to be the CDN minimum warranty these days). Also of note is that I wasn't really aware of the 5yr/60 000mi powertrain warranty. I should really have known because this isn't my first new vehicle. I had a nissan a few yrs back and I remember there being the base bumper to bumper warranty, and then the typical base extended warranty only covering powertrain.

But I'm thinking that between the powertrain warranty that continues after the base warranty expires, and the diesel engine 5/100 000mi warranty, a guy just might not really need to buy any extended warranty. Might not be worth it if powertrain and engine are covered for what would amount to 2 more years for me, since I don't put a lot of km/miles on my truck. What are your (or anyone's) thoughts on this? It seems like the diesel engine warranty excludes the whole EGR/DEF system and it's components, so a guy could delete that stuff and not really risk voiding any remaining warranties, and also have the added benefit/comfort of hopefully not having to deal with the problems that everyone says to expect a few years down the road with those systems. Again, if you have time I'd appreciate any thoughts and/or insights from anyone. Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
715 Posts
I am an old guy who has never bought an extended warranty, but there are several here who have and who have reported it really worked for them. Also I am just guessing but a delete may be a game changer for you as it requires pcm reprogramming and component removal. Ford could say that your repair request is no longer valid due to the modifications.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good point, I'll have to consider that. Thanks for the info!
I cant believe the dealers didnt sell the diesel with the idea that the extra $ also gives you extra warranty. My dealer had no idea either. They tried to sell me extended warranty, I told them that the engine and powertrain are covered to 160,000km and they argued it wasnt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I cant believe the dealers didnt sell the diesel with the idea that the extra $ also gives you extra warranty. My dealer had no idea either. They tried to sell me extended warranty, I told them that the engine and powertrain are covered to 160,000km and they argued it wasnt.
Interesting, well I'm going to have to do the same thing. I'll probably have to convince them to look the warranty up. Did your dealership finally agree on the Engine warranty? Also, when I bought the truck was discounted pretty good already, since it was a little over a year old and still unsold, but yeah they could've at least mentioned the extra engine warranty and I'd have felt even better about what I paid...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts