·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go again!

·
Administrator
782 Posts
@dhuyck - thanks for the heads-up, as I just checked my FordPass app & also see the same recall.

I'll check with my Service Manager on Monday as to what vehicles this effects, but based on:
  1. Recall (vs Field Service Action for first EGR By-Pass valve replacement = FSA 18E02)
  2. Wording in recall text
  3. My early model year 2018 is part of this recall
  4. My 2018 has already had the first EGR By-pass valve replacement performed
that this is serious and probably affects all trucks since they started offering this engine in 2018.

There was a part revision after most of us had our FSAs performed:

Talked to my Service Manager regarding the P/N: JL3Z 9U438A vs P/N: JL3Z 9U438B EGR By-pass valve part numbers -- here's a summary:
  • He was unaware that there was a newer B P/N for the EGR By-pass valve assembly
  • He said there is no indication from Ford that there is anything wrong with the A part
  • He said he cannot do anything (e.g. replace my P/N: JL3Z 9U438A with a P/N: JL3Z 9U438B) until Ford tells him to do something
  • He told me we'd just have to keep a tight eye and ear on things
I'm not really surprised by anything he told me, though it doesn't give me a lot of confidence that the same issue could happen with the A part.

Sorry for the "non" post with not a lot of definitive information, but I think we'll just need to sit tight until Ford takes some corrective action and be aware that there is still a potential for the A part to have the same issue as the original part (as @duan0501 has proven)
so it will be interesting to see what the EGR By-pass valve part number is on what the recall replaces, as this feels like a EGR By-pass valve redesign to me.

Based on all of the above, I'm guessing that neither P/N: JL3Z 9U438A nor the P/N: JL3Z 9U438B part revisions solved the problem...

·
Super Moderator
522 Posts
Just popped up.

·
Administrator
860 Posts
I will have official documentation and parts numbers to share from Ford Monday hopefully.

Reactions: jmperlik

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went to the Ford recall site and looked up my VIN. The site lists the latest alert as a Customer Satisfaction Program notice not a recall like stated in the FordPass app. That is weird because the website also lists the Door Latch Freezing Concern as a CSP, but my FordPass shows it as a Field Service Action. So I am not sure what to make of this, it could be a whole new replacement like the first recall (18E02) or it could simply be an extension of the EGR's eligible repair period (like the Door Latch Freezing Concern - 19N06 extended repair eligibility through 2029).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@dhuyck - thanks for the heads-up, as I just checked my FordPass app & also see the same recall.

I'll check with my Service Manager on Monday as to what vehicles this effects, but based on:
  1. Recall (vs Field Service Action for first EGR By-Pass valve replacement = FSA 18E02)
  2. Wording in recall text
  3. My early model year 2018 is part of this recall
  4. My 2018 has already had the first EGR By-pass valve replacement performed
that this is serious and probably affects all trucks since they started offering this engine in 2018.

There was a part revision after most of us had our FSAs performed:

so it will be interesting to see what the EGR By-pass valve part number is on what the recall replaces, as this feels like a EGR By-pass valve redesign to me.

Based on all of the above, I'm guessing that neither P/N: JL3Z 9U438A nor the P/N: JL3Z 9U438B part revisions solved the problem...
Does look like it may be a redesign. The Land Rover has been using this motor for quite a few years, but I think Ford redesigned the EGR. My Wife has a Discovery with the same motor and there have been no EGR recalls for her vehicle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
All,

I received the attached recall document from the Ford Dealership yesterday. In summary it states, “it may be possible for the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) bypass valve shaft to fracture. After a fracture, a loose thrust washer can be set free from the broken valve shaft and has the potential to be ingested into the engine”. I fortunately was not included in the first replacement and am not looking forward to having things torn apart like others have already had done. I scheduled to have it completed the first week of December with the dealerships diesel technician...the replacement EGR valve kit is JL3Z-9U433-B.

Attachments

·
Administrator
782 Posts
@schlotzj - thanks for posting the official recall document from Ford so quickly!
We improved from ~2 weeks the first time down to less than 24 hours for this round!

My observations/opinions/retractions:
  1. Recall only affects vehicles shipped from Dearborn MI Assembly plant (where my 2018 is from)
    => All engines are assembled in Dagenham, UK (outside of London)
    => Doesn't explain why no Kansas City MO assembled trucks are not affected, unless all diesels are from Dearborn?
    => Does anyone own a F150 PS Diesel assembled in the Kansas City Plant?
  2. Build date range is a almost year wider (9/13/2017 thru 10/05/19 vs 9/13/2017 thru 10/23/18)
    => Recall affects those already affected previously plus another model year
  3. Part revision is the "B" part (JL3Z-9U433-B)
    => "A" part revision is bad = all owners who got FSA 18E02 performed in 2019
    => "B" part revision is good
  4. Still no rental vehicle allowance (which I still think is ridiculous for 1-vehicle households like me)
  5. From the Reason For This Emissions Recall details, the holes drilled thru the shaft for the butterfly valve compromised the structural integrity of the shaft, so we don't know if:
    • "A" part revision "fix" drilled larger holes thru the shaft?
    • Original shaft diameter is too small => Was shaft diameter was increased in "B" part?
Overall this seems to be putting the same affected owners thru the same meat grinder as the last time, and pulls another year's worth of owners in with us. I guess they are fixing it again free-of-charge and everyone affected gets a free EGR "cleaning" as the entire EGR assembly will be replaced with new or remanufacture of the part.

I trust and have faith in my dealership's diesel mechanic, but based on how Ford handled (butchered) the EGR By-pass valve replacements for some owners the last time around, this will lead to diminished owner experience and loyalty.

Thoughts from those owners impacted again?

@Dunrollin - your new/replacement F150 PS Diesel outside the recall window?

·
Administrator
860 Posts
My 2018 has the new 20E04 recall. My Bosses 2020 does NOT. My truck was built at Dearborn.

I can confirm I got JL3Z*9U433*A VALVE ASY, the 'A' part last EGR recall. Sad they didn't fix it right the first time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went back and looked at my service slip from the 18E02 EGR recall and I can also confirm the original EGR Valve was replaced with the JL3Z-9U433-A assembly. My truck was also built in Dearborn (though I think all the diesels are built in Dearborn because it is such a low production vehicle).

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
522 Posts
@jmperlik Thanks for asking. My "new" 2018 was built in last October 2018 and had the "New and improved" egr system, thus it did not need recall. I see this one is being recalled in this phase though.

I am going to wait a while until it seems the technicians have this skill set. Don't want to be the training truck for some newbe.

·
Administrator
782 Posts
Been trying to get hold of my Service Manager today and keep getting his voicemail, so I figured I'd call the Service Department to see if the new JL3Z-9U433-B is available to perform this recall.

I was told by the service receptionist now that I first need to bring my truck in for an inspection first?!? She told me she had read thru the recall and that they need to inspect the current EGR By-pass valve now before they do anything...? I read thru the entire 20E04 PDF again and didn't find the word "inspection" anywhere in the text. I guess my engineering college degree gets trumped by a receptionist/scheduler making minimum wage.

I told her I have the 20E04 recall letter directly in front of me (Thanks to @schlotzj) and read her the first two (2) lines:
In some of the affected vehicles, it may be possible for the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) bypass valve shaft to fracture. After a fracture, a loose thrust washer can be set free from the broken valve shaft and has the potential to be ingested into the engine.
and questioned what good an inspection now does me 1000 miles down the road = I wasn't taking an "inspection" as a resolution to a Ford-initiated recall for a engine part that may fail and cause catastrophic engine failure.

FWIW - mine shows ups as a Recall in FordPass app but as a CSP on the website:

Perhaps this is the wishy-washiness of Recall vs CSP (Customer Satisfaction Program) seen between the Ford Pass app and the website @dhuyck and @Laytunes observed above? I don't see how this recall is any different from the first one, as this one also includes a "Stop Sale" on any new vehicles without this recall performed.

She told me to hold on while she talked to someone, and changed her story after coming back stating that they need to order parts first, and that they would call me after the parts came in. I specifically requested the lead diesel technician to perform 20E04, as he performed 18E02 the last time in ~4 hours (his first EGR swap)

She told me it would be an "all day" job and given the no rental car allowance, looks like I will be spending a day at my local dealership in the near future; therefore, I will ensure to get old vs new side-by-side pictures, as I am interested in how much soot coking/build-up has occurred since 18E02 was performed back in Feb 2019.

Just thought I'd let you know what my initial experience was with my dealer to prepare you for how you want to handle what your dealership may throw up/in your way. I'll post back when I get the call-back when the parts are in...

I still plan to stop in-person to my dealer to speak with my Service Manager to get additional details.

·
Registered
2018 Ford F-150 3.0 Diesel
25 Posts
I received similar information this morning from my service adviser. She told me they do not have the parts yet so cannot schedule any recall work for 20E04. She believes parts will be available in mid January. Its scary to wait that long for something that sounds so critical. Also, Ford will be sending a separate letter in the mail to inform us when parts are available.

·
Administrator
860 Posts
Here is the technical information.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Ford F-150 Powerstroke diesel King Ranch
78 Posts
Same story here in Virginia. Dealership said they will call when the part becomes available.

·
Administrator
782 Posts
Stopped by my dealership today and got waved into the Service Manager's office as soon as I walked in the door.

Short summary: Parts were ordered yesterday when I called, should arrive tomorrow, and will be installed next week by their lead diesel technician.

While they have everything disassembled, now is the opportune time to install an engine block heater (same side of engine), so I had them order the block heater and cable assemblies also (15% discount on parts thru 11/25/20)

I'll post side-by-side pictures next week after they complete my recall.

·
Registered
7 Posts
While they have everything disassembled, now is the opportune time to install an engine block heater (same side of engine), so I had them order the block heater and cable assemblies also (15% discount on parts thru 11/25/20)
Hey @jmperlik just a heads up. When I took mine in to have the engine block heater recall done had to go back 3 times, I kept getting an adaptive cruise control warning. Seems that on the diesels they have to remove the front bumper, or so I was told, and they didn't get one of the radar sensors plugged in good when putting it back together.

Reactions: jmperlik

·
Registered
15 Posts
Shows a recall on the FPass app but "customer satisfaction" action on the Ford recall website. My service dealer says it's a recall even though I had a new ERG installed a few months ago after getting a failure notice. Truck was parked almost a month as no one, including FOMOCO, could find a replacement. Turned out to be a new part #, information for which was never shared with my service guys. They just noticed the new number when they opened the box. I'm being told that the valve has to be replaced again regardless. Now the question is when they can obtain the parts while I'm waiting to leave VA for FL. My confidence level with FOMOCO has gone from 0 to sub zero.
2019, 3 liter. 34,500 miles to date. 30 days parked due to Ford's inability to furnish needed part. Otherwise love the truck and am getting about 24 mpg with am 800 # dog kennel attached to the bed.

1 - 20 of 308 Posts