Diesel F150 Forum banner
281 - 300 of 320 Posts

·
Super Moderator
596 Posts
Check back with them. My experience with dealers around here are none of them will call you. I don't know why this is as they promise to call but won't.

My Caterpillar engine is at the dealer right now, it threw 3 codes and derated. Been there since Monday. Never heard anything so I stopped in (I can walk to it from home, saw the thing just sitting outside). Turned out it was a corroded connector, all they have to do now is test drive it and it is mine again. Guess what they never got around to yesterday. Maybe today. I really don't care for dealers.

Reactions: Dijit

·
Registered
2018 F150 Lariat FX4 502A
5 Posts
When I dropped it off, he indicated it'd take them several days, largely due to the volume of work scheduled for their diesel mechanics. So, I wanted to give them some space and do my best to exercise some patience. So far, I've been pleased with this particular dealership. They were great when performing the first regular maintenance appointment I had with them and scheduled up the recall quickly when I called about it (after other dealerships in the area gave me nothing but resistance). The only hiccup I had when dropping it off this time, was that the dealership said they no longer provide courtesy transportation, but do partner with Lyft to provide transportation if needed (I didn't request a loaner because I work from home and knew I wouldn't need it until the weekend). The SA was unable to get their Lyft service to work. I told him not to worry about it, I'd take care of getting back home.

I had already made up my mind that I'd wait until today before calling. Called this morning and they said it should be ready by lunch. Hoping everything got put back together correctly and I don't experience some of the post-recall coolant leaks that others have had.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It is hard to believe Ford got this so wrong. A few people on this site have had issues other than EGR but very few. These trucks are amazingly solid except for one part and they can't seem to get it right. Talking to Ford mechanics it is torture to remove an EGR cooler but it is what it is.

Hopefully these issues will be in the rear view mirror soon. I hope your truck is home as quickly as possible.
The vast majority of issues with modern diesels stems from problems with the emissions systems- either from the emissions systems causing engine problems, problems with the emissions systems themselves, or increased fuel burn and EGTs as a result of how the emissions systems operate. Thanks, EPA!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a 2018 F150 3.0 King Ranch that was used with 2k miles open it a little over a year ago. It was lemon lawed due to the EGR failure and engine replacement, but a new engine was installed and it came with a 5 year 100k mile ESP plan so I felt good...plus it was a great deal. Well, nothing but problems in the 32k miles I've put on it. Internal coolant leak (had to take the cab off and the engine nearly all the way apart), transmission issues, turbo leak, 3 steering wheels, and now this EGR issue. I took it to Billy Howell Ford in Cumming for the turbo leak and EGR recall about 4 months ago. They ordered parts and scheduled me to come back in to have it fixed 7 weeks later. They said they would be done in a couple days. Well, 4 days later and me doing some snooping, they hadn't touched it...even though they told me it was on the lift being worked on. I was there in the parking lot standing next to it and called their BS lies to their face...wasn't the first time they lied to me. Even left a message for the owner, but he didn't call me to discuss. I then called Ford customer care and they didn't "care" and 3 people that told me they would call me back did not. So I took it to Hennessey Ford in Atlanta. They have had it for nearly 4 weeks now. I keep asking about the parts and they tell me they don't have a date. They told me they were not going to do anymore and gave me the case number and Ford's number and said do it myself. I've been trying and am getting nowhere with Ford once again, keep getting told I will be called back but it doesn't happen. Hennessy was also supposed to do an oil change, fuel filter change, the 6th transmission strategy update, replace the leaky battery, fix the bluetooth failure, fix the tailgate step issues, fix the turbo leak, and fix do the EGR recall. They have only done an oil change. I like the truck a lot when it is working, but that seems to be a rare occasion. I have always owned Fords, still have my 95 Bronco XL 5 speed and will never give it up...because I have completely rebuilt it myself. I have had several F150's, and Excursion, and a few cars with very little problems as well. But, I think they have just lost me as a life long customer, not necessarily because of the problems, but more so because of the lack of customer service from them and their dealers. I am getting tired of hearing it is because of Covid...I own a small business so I've had my share of Covid delays, but I would never treat my customers the way I have been treated by Ford and their dealers. Just my 2 cents, probably going to pick it up tomorrow and trade it on another brand of truck, it is costing me too much down time.

·
Administrator
878 Posts
@Worxman - (shaking my head) Sorry to hear about all of your problems and what will probably be your first and last post here on the forums.

While I hate to see us lose any members, I can understand your reaction, after reading how poorly you have been treated. I sometimes wonder about the thought process behind Ford's responses and actions, as you bought a Ford truck for your business, but Ford reacts like your truck is "optional" or you have a back-up just-in-case their product (which you paid a lot of $$$ for) doesn't work.

My opinion is that COVID has wreaked havoc not only with Ford's parts supply chain but with all supply chains. In addition to supply chain challenges, I think this new engine option coupled with an inadequate supply diesel technicians to work on this new engine lead to the horror stories like yours. I agree this behavior is unacceptable and it sounds like you attempted going different routes (dealership owner, Ford Customer Care, etc) to get resolution.

Not sure I have any better recommendations, but I would escalate to the dealership's Service Manager and then GM. If you get no resolution via those routes, then try to get the contact information for the Regional Manager with your issues and that your dealership(s) are not providing any relief. No guarantees anything will change but dealerships will react to Ford Corporate but it needs to come from management above, and you're not getting by the Ford Customer Care firewall to get to that level.

Ford should be monitoring these forums to find out why they are losing loyal customers due to build quality and abhorrent service at some dealerships, but after reading your experience, it sure doesn't seem like they care...

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
@Dunrollin, it appears it’s coming out of the bell looking connection (not the bolted one) in the 2nd pic. But, I could be wrong. It could be seaping out of the bolted portion and leaking down. Thanks so much for images. I’ve been searching the internet trying to something. It’s tempting to put some Bars Leaks in it but I‘ll give them a few more days.
Oh hel'na, make Ford fix it! It's their problem

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought a 2018 F150 3.0 King Ranch that was used with 2k miles open it a little over a year ago. It was lemon lawed due to the EGR failure and engine replacement, but a new engine was installed and it came with a 5 year 100k mile ESP plan so I felt good...plus it was a great deal. Well, nothing but problems in the 32k miles I've put on it. Internal coolant leak (had to take the cab off and the engine nearly all the way apart), transmission issues, turbo leak, 3 steering wheels, and now this EGR issue. I took it to Billy Howell Ford in Cumming for the turbo leak and EGR recall about 4 months ago. They ordered parts and scheduled me to come back in to have it fixed 7 weeks later. They said they would be done in a couple days. Well, 4 days later and me doing some snooping, they hadn't touched it...even though they told me it was on the lift being worked on. I was there in the parking lot standing next to it and called their BS lies to their face...wasn't the first time they lied to me. Even left a message for the owner, but he didn't call me to discuss. I then called Ford customer care and they didn't "care" and 3 people that told me they would call me back did not. So I took it to Hennessey Ford in Atlanta. They have had it for nearly 4 weeks now. I keep asking about the parts and they tell me they don't have a date. They told me they were not going to do anymore and gave me the case number and Ford's number and said do it myself. I've been trying and am getting nowhere with Ford once again, keep getting told I will be called back but it doesn't happen. Hennessy was also supposed to do an oil change, fuel filter change, the 6th transmission strategy update, replace the leaky battery, fix the bluetooth failure, fix the tailgate step issues, fix the turbo leak, and fix do the EGR recall. They have only done an oil change. I like the truck a lot when it is working, but that seems to be a rare occasion. I have always owned Fords, still have my 95 Bronco XL 5 speed and will never give it up...because I have completely rebuilt it myself. I have had several F150's, and Excursion, and a few cars with very little problems as well. But, I think they have just lost me as a life long customer, not necessarily because of the problems, but more so because of the lack of customer service from them and their dealers. I am getting tired of hearing it is because of Covid...I own a small business so I've had my share of Covid delays, but I would never treat my customers the way I have been treated by Ford and their dealers. Just my 2 cents, probably going to pick it up tomorrow and trade it on another brand of truck, it is costing me too much down time.
@Worxman - for what it’s worth, Jim Ellis Ford in Sandy Springs did a nice job on my 2018 Lariat. I was going to hold off on my normal service til I got back to Missouri next week, but decided to just run it in a bit early. Maybe give them a shout - without me asking, they took care of the tailgate freeze issue when the did the EGR recall work — and gave my truck a full wash and clean when finished. Gotta say I was really happy with them!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine has been great only been to dealer for a small oil leak in 25k. I would trade it for another NEW f150 if you like it. But other brands have Friday trucks / lemons as well. I have always had issues with used trucks but every new truck has treated me well. I once got deal on a 2015 frontier with 7k on it and two head units and rear diff later traded it in for New ZR2 that had no dealer visits in 80k.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well, it’s been 5 weeks now and no sign of a part for my antifreeze leaking EGR valve. Been calling, no dice. Ford is about to become my fav 4 letter word. SOOOOOO frustrating. Been using it a little just have to check my antifreeze level and top it off as needed. Starting to feel like a fool. GMC? Maybe...

·
Administrator
878 Posts
...it appears it’s coming out of the bell looking connection (not the bolted one) in the 2nd pic. But, I could be wrong. It could be seeping out of the bolted portion and leaking down...
@Dijit - antifreeze leaking from under the "bell housing" part of that hose is the same issue @taylormade had days after the 20E04 recall was performed on his used F150 PSD -- in his case it was literally pouring out.

We surmised that the tech removing that hose (really more like a hard-line) was under the assumption that maybe the hose would pivot/swivel at the 90 degree elbow where that bell housing meets the fitting, but we both think that this doesn't move at all. We believe that techs are trying to twist something that doesn't pivot, and in his case, they twisted it to the point where the coolant was gushing out from under that bell housing.

@taylormade was in the same boat as you in terms of waiting on that back-ordered hose and after waiting more than a month (FYI - same part was on back-order in Jan 2021) he told the dealer her needed the truck and Ford needed to resolve this. His dealer ended up offering a pretty sweet trade-in deal on a new 2020 PowerBoost Hybrid, unloading his unusable F150 PSD on the dealer = another forum member lost due to the EGR By-pass valve fiasco. I don't remember the exact details, but he upgraded from a 2018 PSD to a 2020 PowerBoost, upgraded a trim level? downgraded from 601A to 501A, and I think it cost him less than $2000 out-of-pocket. (Don't quote me!)

I understand this doesn't make your situation any better, but I thought I'd let you know what our theory was and that you are not the only owner that had 20E04 performed and had this hose start to leak from under that bell housing part of the hose/hard-line. More examples of COVID-19 wreaking havoc with parts supply chain...

Perhaps you could use the fact that you truck is unusable until they replace this hose to your advantage to "upgrade" your situation to a newer truck or higher trim level like @taylormade did, while you have the dealer over-the-barrel. I wouldn't sit-there-and-take-it but rather extract some value out of Ford's handling of your situation = you have some leverage right now that you should use to your advantage.

You'd be surprised at what deal your dealer may offer to make-a-problem-go-away via trade-in, as a buddy of mine from work got a great deal on a new 2019 Lariat to resolve a recurring front wheel hub issue with a used 2016 F150 my dealership sold him. Same type of thing = a deal he couldn't refuse, probably because the dealership can count it as a new vehicle sale, plus it keeps you as a Ford customer. It's worth a try -- what do you have to lose?

Only issue with this strategy right now is that most dealers don't have many F150s on their lots due to the industry-wide chip shortage and associated plant shut-downs.

·
Super Moderator
596 Posts
This is interesting as I got a hold of one of these pipes and they seem easy to service. It is just a pipe, sealed by o-rings at each end and a wide rubber ring inside the housing.

Also it seems they are around, Tasca parts has them for about $100 for the whole assembly.

I wonder why the dealers seem so reluctant to do this? It is a pain to access the pipe, maybe that is it? Intrestingly the pipe I have shows some serious tool marks near the top, signs of a battle during removal.

·
Administrator
878 Posts
@Dunrollin - great detective work again! I didn't realize that you had the spare part in-hand and could inspect/disassemble. Based on the excellent pics you posted, anyone can see where these leaks are coming from, as that coolant must be leaking past that wide rubber ring or what one may call a grommet with the three (3) beveled rings on it.

Questions I have:
  1. If the part is available thru Tasca, then why has it been on back-order from Ford for months?
    • Too many18E02/20E04 recalls gone bad?
  2. Why doesn't Ford sell wide rubber ring/grommet individually?
    • Another case of selling the entire assembly for a rubber seal? (e.g Oil filter assembly knub)
  3. How hard was it to pull the pipe away from the fitting?
    • Can this wide rubber ring/grommet be reseated?
    • Wondering if this a one-time pressed-together throw-away assembly?
We know that it is tight quarters working on this (based on all the complaints from the techs) and the hose doesn't look like it has much "give" to it, but more give that a solid hard-line/pipe. Based on the flange, it looks like the elbow end has to come straight out ~ 3/4" from the EGR assembly, and with the kinks/curves in the pipe and clearances within the engine bay, I'm guessing this isn't easy and more like wrestling an anaconda, as confirmed by the tool marks on the end.

·
Super Moderator
596 Posts
@jmperlik , thanks. Just guessing here, why Ford has these misc. rubber parts but want to sell an assembly? The oil filter cooler has to be replaced to fix one part that can't cost over $10. On this application same thing- buy an assembly rather than a rubber fitting for a few bucks. Wish they both had part numbers and could be ordered. Oh well.

My second guess is the dealers can get the part but the techs don't want to jump in there again. Ford pays them 4 hours for the removal and replacement but does Ford cover doing it again due to leaks? I don't know. From what I am told the pipe does not come off easy unless you remove the 8 or 10 mm bolt at the bottom, but you can't even see it with the inner fender and tire removed. I bet it comes off easily that way but the leaks come from a tech trying to pull it away from the egr cooler while still attached at the bottom. I just don't know enough about any of it but there is a design challenge here for sure.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just looked up this part on Tascaparts.com and it says this part is subject to availability and may need to be be special ordered from manufacturer. I’d bet it isn’t available. I also agree that all it needs is the rubber seal. WTF?? I’ve unscrewed my radiator cap about 1/2 way and it seems to have stopped the flow from leaking out of the joint. But I’m still losing antifreeze prob due to evaporation. I put the truck on my lift and took the bottom cover off. I can see the leak clearly coming out of the bell portion of the pipe. Tried to see if it was loose or if I could push it around. No go. It’s pretty rigid. I’m pretty good at turning bolts but this is just insane as far as getting to the bolts. I’d have to lay on the motor and possibly take the steering apart for access. I can’t see where the other end inserts into the cooling jacket. Looks like it‘s just going under the motor. Thanks so much for the images. If I had better access I think I’d cut the bell portion out and slip a rubber hose over the pipe with hose clamps then call it good. With what we know about motors, it’s incredibly stupid to feed back hot exhaust. I would assume that this pipe would still be needed after an EGR delete.

·
Super Moderator
596 Posts
I have to agree, the engineers failed on this one. The only access to that lower bolt is through the fender liner and that is by feel only. It is hidden by a frame member I think as well as being behind some other coolant pipe. Maybe one of those usb remote cameras can see it LOL.

The guys in Canada and wherever legal to delete can leave the egr valve in place but unplugged or can remove it entirely with a kit of blocking plates and coolant line plugs. I really like your idea of cutting out the bell housing and just using heater hose. I didn't proceed on the Tasca site so it probably is out of stock. Things are a real mess still. Hope you can get your truck back to normal soon!

·
Registered
53 Posts
My only concern with cutting it and putting in a hose is that it appears that the one bolt on the EGR holds this entire pipe in place. The hidden end is pressed into the jacket? (Just guessing since I can’t see this part of the assembly) My next move is to call (I’ve found 2 plus EBAY) websites that appear to have the part and see if it’s in stock. Trot my old ass down to the dealership and ask them if it’s worth waiting on a part, that’s AVAILABLE!, to lose my business. And say goodbye to my white F150.

·
Super Moderator
596 Posts
@Dijit
My only concern with cutting it and putting in a hose is that it appears that the one bolt on the EGR holds this entire pipe in place. The hidden end is pressed into the jacket?
No, it has a 8 or 10mm head bolt holding it in at the bottom. This is the bolt that cannot be seen by human eyes as it is behind another coolant pipe and also is obscured from view by a suspension part. Once the wheel and inner fender is off it isn't too hard to reach with a 1/4" socket, flexible extension and a few other tools you may have lying around. There is also a O-ring at the bottom at the flange. Here is a better photo of the pipe.

By the way, I sent you a PM with more details. Have a great day! Doug

·
Administrator
878 Posts

Reactions: Dunrollin and Dijit
281 - 300 of 320 Posts