Diesel F150 Forum banner
301 - 320 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Put my truck on the lift, took the tire off and removed that small splash guard to see if this pipe (it’s labeled a hose on the parts list) is lose. The top bolt is very solid as is the pipe. After dropping two tools trying to explore the “blind” bolt, I gave up. I think they went with a metal “hose” due to heat off of the exhaust/EGR valve as they are right next to it. I moved the lift up and down trying to fish out the tools. Found both of them and a bolt that they dropped in there doing the recalls. I’m seriously thinking about going in another direction and you know what I’m talking about...😉

·
Super Moderator
596 Posts
You’d think they’d check in to make their customers feel warm and fuzzy. Thanks again for helping me fix mine. BTW, do you still have the oem shocks on your truck? I’m not enamored with the ride. Seems choppy.
Yes OEM shocks. My job jar is full enough that shocks are low on the list but that can change.

Reactions: Dijit

·
Administrator
878 Posts
Finally got mine done yesterday. Paperwork says they installed 9U433-B, not 9U438-B.
Original ERG Valve was intact with both bolts and washer still in place.
9U433-B in your paperwork has to be a typo, as parts.ford.com shows 9U433-B as a valve but also warns you that this part does not fit a F150 PSD.

Based on the picture associated with 9U433-B, this is not the EGR By-Pass valve for our trucks:

Not sure what this goes to, but I've seen more pictures of our 9U438-B assembly on these threads that I dream about it.

·
Registered
2018 F-150
17 Posts
Truck went in for 20E04 this morning. Just got a call that the bolts holding the EGR By-Pass Valve on snapped off when they went to remove them. There is an aluminum block that bolts to the engine block that the EGR By-Pass Valve attaches to. Apparently when the original EGR recall (18E02) was done in 2019, they either cross threaded or over-torqued the bolts (not the dealership that has it now) causing them to snap when removed. So, they've emergency ordered the EGR By-Pass Valve Block and can complete the job once they receive it. They claim they've done hundreds of these now and never had this happen.

The funny (not funny) part of the whole situation is when the Service Advisor called, he said, "we ran into a problem and need to order a new block." My mind went straight to ENGINE BLOCK and I'm wondering to myself how that could happen. When I asked how the engine block could have been damaged, he said, "not the engine block, the EGR By-Pass Valve Block." I was able to breathe a huge sigh of relief.

·
Super Moderator
596 Posts
They claim they've done hundreds of these now and never had this happen.
That is good news that they are so familiar with our engines. I don't think my dealer has anyone that experienced. Hope you get her back soon!

Reactions: navyR113

·
Administrator
878 Posts
The funny (not funny) part of the whole situation is when the Service Advisor called, he said, "we ran into a problem and need to order a new block." My mind went straight to ENGINE BLOCK and I'm wondering to myself how that could happen. When I asked how the engine block could have been damaged, he said, "not the engine block, the EGR By-Pass Valve Block." I was able to breathe a huge sigh of relief.
@Kpalmer34 - HA! That is hilarious, as I would have freaked out the same exact way if they told me that over the phone.

Given this is Round 2 for the same assembly and all the horror stories here and in the 18E02 thread, your service advisor should have chosen his words a little more carefully, lest give you a heart attack!

Thanks for sharing = I got a really good laugh from your story.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone,
I'm new to this forum and this is my first truck. I've had it for almost 2 years and love the thing. Hope I'm not thread-jacking, but would like to get some input from you guys and if there's anything I can do other than what they are currently telling me.

I didn't know about the 20E04 recall until about 1.5 weeks ago. Got a CEL while driving and took the truck to an independent shop that night. They scanned it and confirmed the CEL was EGR Bypass Valve related. The next day, I did some searching online and found out about the recall through one of the forums. The strange thing is that when I searched my VIN on NHTSA, the 20E04 recall wasn't listed there, but when I searched on the Ford website, it showed up under my VIN.

2 days after I got the CEL, I'm driving to work and a loud "rattle" sound starts coming from under the hood. I ended up getting to work about 10 minutes later and leaving it there until I could have it towed to the local Ford dealership.
Before taking it in, I called and confirmed with them that I can bring it in for the EGR BPV recall (my truck has a branded title).

So I dropped off the truck at the dealership on 10/25/21. Yesterday, 10/29/21 I receive a missed call then a text from the service guy stating that "you are gunna need a engine replacement... the vehicle has a salvaged title so I can not replace under any kind of warranty.. the estimate is around-$13,119.00..." Not sure why they are mentioning warranty when, to me, this is recall related. Am I missing something? Maybe there is some kind of issue with the truck that I wasn't aware of that would require them to do the work under warranty rather than recall? Just seems shady to me.

To my understanding, as far as the recall goes, they are required to perform the recall work free of charge and it is not warranty related. But, what if the engine "rattle" was due to that thrust washer coming lose and making its way into the engine (as stated in the recall notice)? Are they required to replace/repair the engine free of charge? Do I stand a chance fighting this and having them repair or replace the engine under the 20E04 recall, or am I SOL?

I printed off the 20E04 notice that someone had posted to here earlier and plan on visiting the dealership with it today.

Some background info on my truck- 2018 F-150 3.0 Diesel. Purchased from a used car dealership with just over 5k miles in Feb. of 2020. It's currently sitting at just over 50k miles. Everything is stock other than a leveling kit. I had 0 issues with the truck before this came up.

·
Super Moderator
596 Posts
@GrayF150 Welcome to the site, we are glad you are here. For a first post, you win the complex question award, you have a lot packed in that intro. I am not sure if we can be much help as you need advice that I can't answer, maybe none of us can. Still, I have a few observations to offer. First, I do believe your engine swallowed a loose part as others have reported similar results. Also I believe the shop when they say a new engine can cost $13,000. A used engine from a junk yard will often be around $8,500.

Now, the warranty question. You didn't mention what totalled your truck, especially with such low mileage. Most of the manufacturers, including Ford, take the stand that once it has been totalled it is no longer road worthy. What about hail damage? That can total a car but it is still road worthy (in my opinion anyway). Take some time to look at this site Rebuilt title Warranty

Please keep us informed, I am hoping for the best and a happy outcome. Sorry I lack the ability to fully answer your question.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Dunrollin I appreciate the response. Sorry about the big intro lol. Figured to get everything out while it’s fresh in my mind.

I bought the truck already repaired in road worthy state. What totaled it out was that it had body damage alongboth sides of the truck including doors and bed.
Nothing engine/transmission related.

I do believe them on the costs involved, but my main question is whether it’s considered warranty work or recall?
I went in today but the service advisor is out until Monday so I’ll have to come back. I’ll keep you guys posted.

·
Administrator
878 Posts
@GrayF150 - As @Dunrollin stated, I think you win the prize for the most complex welcome to these forums! You're not hi-jacking this thread, as your dilemma is exactly what this thread is intended for.

You raise some good questions, that I'm not sure anyone here can answer definitively, but what we can do is arm you with as much information as possible to "take on the man"

My first recommendation is for you to read up on the FSA 18E02 companion "sticky" thread where I covered some of the options for owners affected by the first EGR By-Pass Valve recall that affected all 2018 models also:
  • FSA 18E02 covered F150 PSD vehicle build dates from 09/13/17 thru 10/09/18
    • Recall replaced EGR By-Pass valve where one/both valve flapper screws can back out
  • FSA 20E04 covered F150 PSD vehicle build dates from 09/13/17 thru 10/05/19
    • Recall replaced EGR By-Pass valve where flapper shaft can break & ingest thrust washer
  • If you had a 2018 model (like me) you had the "joy" of having the EGR By-pass valve assembly replaced twice
If you look at Post #1 of this START HERE: Any owners affected by FSA 18E02 (EGR By-pass valve replacement) thread, I documented some owner options in the What are your possible actions/outcomes? section of that post.

I'm not exactly sure what your outcome will be, but I will list some facts as I see them that may help with your argument:
  1. Your 2018 is most likely out of the standard 3yr/36K mile Bumper-to-Bumper warranty
    • All 2018 models have hit their 3 year limit unless your truck was a 2018 left-over & not sold until 2019
  2. Your 2018 is NOT out-of-warranty for the PowerStroke 5yr/100k mile Engine warranty
    • All Ford PowerStroke engines have a 5yr/100K Engine warranty documented here: Powerstroke Warranty
  3. Request a VIN-specific OASIS report from your dealership's Service Manager
    • VIN-specific OASIS report will show all warranty coverages in effect for your vehicle
      • See Post #19 of the Powerstroke Warranty thread for where you can view this 5 yr/100K PowerStroke Engine warranty on my OASIS report
    • VIN-specific OASIS report shows what Recalls have been completed (18E02 or 20E04)
      • 18E02 = Look for one or both missing screws (possibly ingested into engine)
      • 20E04 = Look for broken shaft/missing thrust washer (possibly ingested into engine)
  4. Force Ford to perform the 20E04 Recall to verify that EGR By-Pass valve failed
    • Photo-document removed EGR By-Pass valve assembly for missing screws/broken shaft/missing washer
      • If you can show that the EGR By-Pass valve failed, your chances are improved
      • If you can't show that the EGR By-Pass valve failed, then engine failure is "unknown"
    • Regardless of cause of failure, direct Ford back to #2
  5. Expect Ford Corporate to throw up a "smoke screen" as to the cause of your engine issue if "unknown"
    • My dealership had a 2018 model returned by an out-of-state customer with a lower-end engine knock where the owner also was not aware of the earlier 18E02 recall
    • Dealership had to buy back vehicle from customer (less than a year old)
    • Ford Corporate wanted my Service manager to tear down the engine to find the lower end knock
    • My dealership unloaded the truck at auction to avoid tying up a tech and service bay for this effort
  6. Recommend you introduce yourself to and start dealing with the Service Manager
    • Service Advisor is just a go-between/middle-man between you & Service Manager
    • Service Advisor is not who will be making the call on what can/cannot be done
      • Your situation is well beyond an oil change or brake job
  7. Your salvaged title throws a big monkey wrench into all of this, as I simply don't know what Ford's position is on salvaged titles
    • Without the salvaged title, I think Ford would have to replace the engine under #2
    • From Salvage Title website @Dunrollin posted, it references both factory & after-market:
      In most cases, getting a salvage title (even with the following conversion into a rebuilt title) voids both the factory warranty and the warranties issued by after-market warranty companies because the vehicle is damaged to such an extent that it becomes inoperable, and this is definitely an alternation or modification of the major components - common grounds for voiding a warranty.
I "think" what your dealer is saying is they can perform the recall to replace the defective EGR By-Pass valve assembly, but if your engine ingested a screw or washer due to a EGR By-Pass valve failure, then that would be a warranty claim and your salvaged title nullifies any factory warranty that may still be in effect for your vehicle.

Like I said, not sure how this will turn out, but I've tried to provide you with all much information as possible for you to attempt to get this fixed under warranty. If the generic statement above from the Salvaged Title website is true, then you may have no recourse via a warranty claim thru Ford, but you can certainly try to fight-the-good-fight -- your salvaged title may by the highest trump card in this game of Texas Hold'em that your dealer (pun intended) will most certainly play against you to win.

Your history & dilemma are unique, so please feedback here how your dealership handles all of this. From the initial texts back, looks like they want to hang the entire bill on you, but this is where you can try to force Ford stand behind their 5yr/100K PowerStroke Engine warranty clearly documented in your VIN-specific OASIS report (get them to print that out for you!)

Welcome again to the forums and I only wish you would have found us sooner to get 20E04 recall performed before it caused all of this havoc.

·
Administrator
878 Posts
@GrayF150 - after googling and reading some posts on other Ford forums, someone recommended referring to the Ford Warranty Guide for what voids the new Vehicle Warranty.

I found this on Page 15 of the 2018 Model Year Ford Warranty Guide:
Font Document Number Screenshot

I think this answers any questions regarding "branded" or "salvaged" titles... Sorry

Caveat emptor

·
Registered
78 Posts
GrayF150 stated in his 1st post "Purchased from a used car dealership with just over 5k miles in Feb. of 2020." Would be interesting to learn if the used car dealer stated in writing the vehicle was covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

·
Administrator
878 Posts
GrayF150 stated in his 1st post "Purchased from a used car dealership with just over 5k miles in Feb. of 2020." Would be interesting to learn if the used car dealer stated in writing the vehicle was covered by the manufacturer's warranty.
@STIAJW - not sure it matters based on what's stated in Ford's Warranty Guide. Ford is one that decides what is covered vs not covered = the used car dealer has no say in this legally, unless they want to cover the repairs themselves (highly unlikely)

I'm sure any used car dealer would want it still to be covered (and may even lie to say that it is), but even 3rd party after-market warranties steer clear of "branded" or "salvaged" titles according to the website @Dunrollin posted above.

·
Administrator
878 Posts
301 - 320 of 320 Posts