Diesel F150 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this seems like a stupid question but here goes. How can you tell when the truck goes into regin? I have yet to see a light or any thing else. I drive 20 miles one way to work. Have 15,000 on the truck. Am I missing something here?

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Do you have the forscan mods done yet? I usually know because the truck tells me the filter is full and I then check the "allow regen" button in the truck's settings. On the other hand I won't let it go into regen if I am about to park, so I delay it until next drive.

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts
@KRMO - simple answers to your questions:

Q: How can you tell when the truck goes into regen?
A: If you don't have/use FORScan, you can't tell..

Q: Am I missing something here?
A: Nope!

Ford (in their infinite wisdom) chose to not expose DPF regeneration status by default to the end user on this F150 platform.

Regen has been discussed in multiple threads previously and probably the best/most comprehensive thread is: Stuck in regen??? and the best summary is probably Post #67 by yours truly.

If you would like to know when you are in regen, you will need to monitor DPF-related PIDs via FORScan or enable DPF % Full in your IPC via FORScan:
=> You can monitor your Regen status, Miles between Regens, and EGTs (Exhaust Gas Temperatures) via an ODBii adapter plugged into your diagnostics port & free software
=> You can program your truck to expose DPF % Full via a Windows 10 laptop and a licensed software program called FORScan
=> Check out this sticky link I created that explains everything you can do and what you need: START HERE: New FORScan user education
=> This thread here on our forums has the most comprehensive list of favorite owner FORScan mods: FORScan Mods confirmed working

If you have any questions with anything above, don't be afraid to ask questions back here or in the FORScan sticky thread.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ever notice that the bloody regen only seems to start coincidentally when you are about to pull up to your house!!!!!!

After I FORSCANNED in the dash info and AutoRegen check box option, I have control over this now. But not kidding, with only the percentage screen showing...seemed like every time...it coincidentally was going to regen very close to the end of some trip.

Fixed it now. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank for explaining everything.Dealer was telling me that a light in the dash would come on. No I do not have forscan to chicken to try it my luck I would screw things up.

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts
@KRMO - your dealer doesn't know the truck then, but I would pursue holding their feet to the fire to make the FORScan changes to expose DPF % full to your Instrument Panel Cluster.
My dealer balked (so I ended up doing it myself) but others have had success in getting their dealer to get this display added to their IPC -- worst thing they can say is: No

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Yeah, good luck with the dealer. Only thing I asked before the sale was to disable double honk. "No problem! It will be done before you even finish signing the papers!"

I get the truck, start it, walk away and get the double honk. Salesman disappears for a few minutes, comes back and says the tech says it can't be done.

·
Registered
31 Posts
@KRMO Forscan may be daunting but once you do your research, it's not bad at all. If you have a computer that can handle it (any windows) give it a go! Start with an easy change like "bambi" light mod or disable double honk and build from there. Like a few mentioned, check other threads and read up on the regen. Ford does a terrible job explaining that in any of their provided info. If it helps, Ford seems comfortable with you the customer not worrying about regens at all, you can simply let the truck handle it and be totally fine. Ignorance is bliss! However, if you want to maximize your fuel efficiency, the regen info is very helpful. Others dislike the smell in their garage and want to know to keep that out and I can understand that. The "user commanded regen" mod is helpful to keep a regen from happening until your next drive.

Without forscan mods for filter percentage, you can tell it's in regen by a few barely noticeable signs your truck will exhibit: a faint ticking under the car, a loss of power coupled with more turbo pressure (you can use the turbo gauge), and most apparently by a burning smell that you could detect with your windows down at a stop. I'll be honest, it's difficult to tell without the forscan mod and even with the mod there is no dummy light that comes on. Using the filter percentage you can only tell by noticing it falling, so it takes a somewhat watchful eye.

Enjoy the new truck and welcome to the forum. I've got a little over 6,000 miles on mine (so still quite new at this too) and I noticed less regens as the miles poured on the truck. Nothing scientific in that, just an observation. MPGs are getting better with miles too.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thank for explaining everything.Dealer was telling me that a light in the dash would come on. No I do not have forscan to chicken to try it my luck I would screw things up.
My dealer did it for me at my first oil change at my request. I used the example that my truck is always garaged and I do not want to put it in the garage with extremely hot exhaust since it is in the middle of a regen and risk a fire hazard.

It is standard to have this on the F250 and above trucks (my two previous trucks) should have been standard on the F150 too.

They did the update at no charge....

KR2018

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the feedback. May look into forscan there is a few things I would like .Developed a rattle somewhere in the front at low speed all most sound like the suspension going in Tuesday have them look at it. Will for sure level it out. May go back to Bilstein front and back but will see if maybe something better

1 - 10 of 10 Posts